Awning nuts

Tailor

Jun 2, 2012
Newport Qld
In another post I see a few have had problems losing the nut for the arm on the awnings.

After my grandson borrowed the van, I had the same problem. Needing the van soon, I made a couple of the nuts out of 5 x 25mm aluminium bar. A 1/4" withworth thread in the centre did the trick. Worst part was getting the screw back into the nut. I used something to hold the nut, but am sorry I cannot remember what it was.

Much stronger and cheaper than having to pay around $24 for the screw and diecast nut.

I had the aluminium and tap, but I think it can be sourced from Bunnings, and the 1/4" tap also isn't too expensive. I use trefolex as a cutting compound, but I think kero will also work OK.

Reactions: jvp and bigcol

bigcol

Nov 22, 2012
Swan Valley Perth
I lost mine when I was down at Bremer Bay, I ended up making one out of 5mm thick plastic (cut from a fuse holder I made years ago that was still in my tool box)

but I will be making a few extras, just in case, as I hope I never forget to tighten them up again

thanks @Tailor

crustt

Apr 17, 2013
I lost some a few years ago, Jayco dealer said the replacements were one of their best sellers in spares and they knurled the thread when they fitted them.

Reactions: bigcol