Starcraft Andrew's 20.62-3 Starcraft Outback

twscoot

Jun 9, 2013
Brisbane
Yes I do use a WDH. Even with Quadralift on the Jeep Grand Cherokee a WDH tends to tighten up the whole towing platform. I also use it on my previous 16.49-2 Expanda.
Set properly, there is no risk of dragging bars on the ground. Indeed the bars I have used for now almost 6 years have never touched the ground.

twscoot

Jun 9, 2013
Brisbane
After far too long a hiatus, we are back out again. Love it. 10 minutes to setup. Towed like a dream behind the Jeep up Cunningham's Gap (oil temp 118C) and now settled for the night near Warrick.

Photos to follow once we are into the trip.
Travel safe everyone.

twscoot

Jun 9, 2013
Brisbane
Some of you will have followed my concern with the 'max towball' number on the compliance plate.

http://www.expandasdownunder.com/threads/compliance-plates-stating-max-towball-weight.3930/

On delivery, the number was increased from around 205kg to around 235kg.

A recent requested upgrade changed this to 300kg as a quick weigh at home on uneven ground knew this was still way too low (and max towball weight is meaningless anyway in my mind).

Yesterday I had the chance to actually measure the towball weight with a full load on even ground.

We have no tool box, evenly loaded gear and not many extras, one extra battery about midway between front axel and ball, full tanks, a full fridge and clothes for four.

The weight was a smidge under 300kg.

No problem for us or the car but worth people knowing.

Last edited:
Reactions: relgate

twscoot

Jun 9, 2013
Brisbane
If you've got kids and want to get them to sleep by staying out of the van one of these gas heaters is fabulous at night in a no camp fire park whilst drinking a red from the Jayco cellar...!
No good for more than two people but on a still night they are excellent.
Cost: about $110. Mr Heater Portable Buddy.

image.jpg

image.jpg

Last edited:

twscoot

Jun 9, 2013
Brisbane
A short sullage hose is a good silage hose....

Mine is in four sections.

The poly pipe into the chassis rail means it glides in easily.

A couple more sections in the bumper held closed by the screw on cap of the final piece of ploy pipe along the top of the bumper.

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

Last edited:

twscoot

Jun 9, 2013
Brisbane
And my in depth statistical analysis of the last four caravan parks we stayed at reveals.....
2 parks required 1 x 2 metre section of sullage hose - and oh how well the sink drained!
1 park required all 4 sections to get it away into a grassy section well away from our neighbour.
1 park required 2 sections - and oh how well the sink still drained!

Bushman

Forum Moderator
Staff member
Nov 9, 2010
Wollondilly Shire NSW
Reactions: Smirke and twscoot

twscoot

Jun 9, 2013
Brisbane
Hindsight is a wonderful thing. At 5'10" I thought the standard bed length would have been fine but I wanted just a little more.

I removed the bed head (just on one side figuring it was more than likely a future buyer would probably again be a family) and refashioned the whole storage setup.

The slope of the front wall meant that at the top of the bed head dropped, I gained length in the bed.
You can see from the picture with the foam I added I managed to gain 16cm in length. Sheet over the top - you can't tell.

The second simple 'modification' was to stop the spread of light from the bedside lamp for the midnight reader (*%#&&!&@). A toilet toll with black tape worked a treat! Slide it off when not needed.

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

twscoot

Jun 9, 2013
Brisbane
Our next trip requires four bikes to come with us (three normal and one tandem) so I knocked up this indoor rack which I can use with the single Thule pro-ride 591 bike roof rack not being used this trip. (They are a fabulous rack).

The tandem and two normal bikes will go on the roof.

The 'feet' have felt on the base and to the sides. It's very stable but I'll add a strap across the bike.

Just another option for those seeking bike transport options.

image.jpg

image.jpg