Exterior A suggestion for checking important weights....

Dobbie

Jun 18, 2014
I've long been a bit pedantic about weights for both van and vehicle and have been prompted to put my approach into a spreadsheet to help others do some rather confusing calculations.

I needed to do this as I upgraded a vehicle and wanted to carefully check the payloads.

This approach is, by no means prescriptive, and reflects my individual way of trying to understand it!

Suggestions on refinements are welcome but this is not a debate as to whether this is a necessary exercise.

There are two sheets..... an example of mine and a blank to help record your own situation.

(thanks to those who had a look at this recently...for comments etc)

Updated spreadsheet is further down this thread.

Last edited:

Crusty181

Feb 7, 2010
Mentone, VIC
What a great idea @Dobbie. Im with you on the pedantic weight issue

Maybe we could appoint you weight custodian, and we submit individual component weights to build a comprehensive list over time.

Weights would need to have been actually weighed on scales, or otherwise stated. Would be super useful spreadsheet for veterans and newbies alike

You are a genius, man !!!

Reactions: bigcol and dagree

Rockape

Nov 20, 2012
Hills District, NSW
Yep, great idea. I already have one that calculates front, middle and rear weights. Also shows remaining payload, Combined gross wight and remaining payload for the car. I tried to upload it, but can't upload excell spreadsheets.
Cheers
Nick

Dobbie

Jun 18, 2014
Only one sheet @Dobbie ????
Looks like you uploaded version1!!

Looks like @Dobbie worked it out for us @Rockape ...... Zip it and then post!

Yep. I worked out the zip technique.

Dagree... I thought I'd loaded version 2 but will check.

How's your head now after the formulae challenge?

(And I think the Patrol payload allows for tanks partially filled so I only need to include up to 100kgs for full fuel tanks. The problem is getting the definitive information. I'm now happy we're well within limits. I just wish we went up hills a bit easier)

:clap2::deadhorse:

Dobbie

Jun 18, 2014
I will try to mend my ways....but it might be tomorrow.

I can't believe how much I don't worry about technology these days. Once upon a time I'd spend hours on it ....not now as I guess I'm lazy or finally grown up and figure it doesn't really matter.

Just as long as the weights are checked prior to purchase, or as stuff is added.

Thanks, guys

Reactions: bigcol and dagree

dagree

Mar 3, 2012
Perth. WA
I couldn't get the "Yes/No" formula quite right did I.....?

You were close mate but not close enough ;)

Reactions: bigcol

Dobbie

Jun 18, 2014
I guess we could set up a poll?

If it's important to lots of readers, then maybe I'll pull the finger out.

If not, maybe I'll just continue to be lazy.

Dobbie

Jun 18, 2014
I'm trying to pack up for a colder country visit so am finding all the things I should have done weeks ago instead of of mucking around with spreadsheets.

:bee:

Dobbie

Jun 18, 2014
And catching up with 'Four Corners'.

Tomorrow is another day!

At least the rest of the country has caught up with us a bit with daylight saving ended.

Seen the light? But I know it takes longer to hit WA...you have to wait awhile.

:blah: