2014 17.56.1 OB modifications.

Foley Five

Nov 9, 2014
Scone NSW
Hi all. First time poster. I have been browsing these pages looking for ideas and it has been really helpful. The first mods I wanted to do to my van were a front box big enough for the Webber Q 200 and also wanted to relocate the spare tyre. I thought I might post a few pictures of what I ( ok, and my mate, can't take all the credit) came up with.
Firstly the spare tyre relocation to under the rear of the van using a hilux spare wheel winch.

image.jpg
image.jpg

And the front box which is not quite complete yet. I must give member Stephen Galvin some credit here as I used his photos of his box as a starting point for the design of this box. Thanks Galvo.

Foley Five

Nov 9, 2014
Scone NSW
Hi all. First time poster. I have been browsing these pages looking for ideas and it has been really helpful. The first mods I wanted to do to my van were a front box big enough for the Webber Q 200 and also wanted to relocate the spare tyre. I thought I might post a few pictures of what I ( ok, and my mate, can't take all the credit) came up with.
Firstly the spare tyre relocation to under the rear of the van using a hilux spare wheel winch.

View attachment 28024 View attachment 28025

And the front box which is not quite complete yet. I must give member Stephen Galvin some credit here as I used his photos of his box as a starting point for the design of this box. Thanks Galvo.
image.jpg

Reactions: bigcol

Foley Five

Nov 9, 2014
Scone NSW
No James, I wasn't going to as I'd rather not disturb the galvanising any more than I have to. Why do you ask, do you see a need to.

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
Well done, very tidy job................now go out and get it dirty......:D

Crusty181

Feb 7, 2010
Mentone, VIC

View attachment 28024 View attachment 28025

Nice. I toyed with doing similiar. Whats the extended arms with the packed end do ..... some bouncing in the floor?

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
I was going to do the same on mine but after I put my grey water tank it would be right at the back and I realised it would drag on my driveway (I have an awesome hill climb to my place) my van is as high or higher than an outback, so it ended up on the bar instead. Driveway has been undergoing roadworks so is now vastly improved.

Noticed the water lines in the pic, they look like they could do with some better mounting, I shielded mine in clear hose to stop chaffing and movement.

Foley Five

Nov 9, 2014
Scone NSW
Yeah bluey. He is a perfectionist.

Thanks for the heads up Drover you are right. Looks like this weekend might be spent under the van too...........

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
Noticed another job for you @Foley Five , your flexy gas lines I would fix them to the box, just with those plastic conduit saddles (spray em silver), just to stop them banging/rubbing against the box etc other than marking your shiny alloy that shielding will wear away surprising quickly, also the hard gas line with plastic cover, block the top in and down where it goes to a horizontal run just put a nice big round hole in the black stuff to let water/dirt out, plugging the top helps keep the crud out, it amazing how a bit of dust and moisture can turn into a very effective angle grinder not to mention how some roadbase can cause nasty reactions with some metals.
Been there done that.

Reactions: bigcol