20.63.1 Caravan cover antics

meandher (a frost)

Mar 21, 2013
The Vines, WA
Well, I bought this thing 6 months ago from Ebay and it has been sat on top of the dog kennel in the garage ever since I pulled it out of its delivery box awaiting sufficient time, patience and courage to cajole the dragon into assisting my endeavours to fit it. Knowing the 'van roof is some 10 1/2 feet up in the air, I knew there was going to be dramas. Today was the day when the planets aligned, but I am either a total and pathological retard, or these things need an extra pair of arms to fit, over and above the two pairs available at #94.

It is on, but it took half an hour, copious expletives, idiotic amounts of moving stepladders from one side to the other, balancing on one leg and contravening every Health and Safety rule in the book that would have seen me in front of Worksafe Inspectors if I tried this at my work premises. Three points of contact my arse!

The good news is that the usual hands thrown in the air from the dragon and the accompanying " fit it your bloody self you bad tempered bastard" screamed in a broad Scouse accent that gets broader and higher pitched when prodded with a metaphorical sharp stick, was not uttered once. She is either getting more patient after 32 years married, or I have imperceptibly mellowed in my approach to not being the best at everything I try, that by seemingly divine intervention inevitably goes awry on most occasions.

The only hope is that the 'van now doesn't go the same way as the swimming pool when we put the new cover and roller on just before summer.Twice we have been in the pool this year as it is such a faff taking the thing off and dragging it back on again.

Now, I am not being defeatist, but I think I may be in for a battle in reverse when we next are due to hitch up and take off. I am sure there is a knack, but if someone would like to enlighten me on the finer points of divorce free caravan cover installation and removal, you would make an overly self critical perfectionist very happy.

All advice greatly received........

Heath74

Jan 14, 2014
Sth East Melbourne
Lol!

Mate mines only a 14, but with two tent poles and the help of SWMBO we got ours on pretty easily.

Just put the poles through eyelets at the bottom of the cover, front corners. Then starting from the rear, one operator each side of the van, and walk forward, using the tent poles to lift the cover over any roof obstructions.

Simples...

DRW

May 29, 2013
Beautiful Burrum Heads QLD
Dear @alan frost I also have (had) the need for one of these stupid covers, mine now has a lovely tear in it after being told to fit it myself. I did however watch a youtube video on how to manage this event with 2 (two, you and someone else, a pair of people 4 arms and hands) and using 2 lengths of conduit or similar it actually looks quite simple. I solved my problem by spending around 1/2 a million dollars to build a new house that has a dedicated parking bay, in fact we signed a contract on our house today so the build can begin. Yes I hear you another reason for a divorce (had 2 already so no big deal) but we have made a deal, she looks after the inside design and colours, I look after the outside (yeh right that will work not) wish me luck
Cheers
Dave

twscoot

Jun 9, 2013
Brisbane
And I washed the van today in anticipation of a polish and then a first attempt to put on the cover I purchased on eBay that has been sitting in the workshop next to the dog food..... Not filled with confidence now. Think I'll have a lie down.

Reactions: Ren77

Bmhdg76

Oct 6, 2012
North Lakes, Qld.
Lol!

Mate mines only a 14, but with two tent poles and the help of SWMBO we got ours on pretty easily.

Just put the poles through eyelets at the bottom of the cover, front corners. Then starting from the rear, one operator each side of the van, and walk forward, using the tent poles to lift the cover over any roof obstructions.

Simples...
We only have a 14 as well and find it no problems, but we are different in that we put it on from the front to back. We find it slides over the front curves better than the straight back edges.

BJ.

Freoboy

Sep 17, 2013
Perth
We also have the same van and currently lives at the Sister in Laws and requires the use of a cover. I found it helped to use a tall step ladder, tent poles and 3 sets of hands. One on each side with the tent poles and me up on the ladder lifting the cover over the roof hatches and air con. Its not easy but worth covering if out in the elements. Good Luck!

Reactions: CrazyMOBB

Bushman

Forum Moderator
Staff member
Nov 9, 2010
Wollondilly Shire NSW
LOL I think all who have installing a cover have gone through something similar. Ours is a 16 the first time I did ours was about 40 minutes all up, which way was what? getting it over squaring it up etc. etc. now it's 10 to 15 minute job.

I lay it out on the ground fold ends in then sides, roll it up like a giant sleeping bag, man handle up the ladder to the rear, place on roof fortunately being a 16 it's not that heavy or high up but high enough then just push it out along the roof lifting over any obstacles like aerial and solar., fold out ends/side job done.

twscoot

Jun 9, 2013
Brisbane
Brilliant Bushman. Absolutely brilliant. I have been dreading the task. Huge van. Tall too......
But single handed I have accomplished the task as per your tip..... So simple! The hardest bit is getting it up there.
Here's how it's done....
Preparation is everything.
Cheers
Andrew

'Sleeping bag' on the roof with sides folded inwards previously.

image.jpg

Just roll it out!

image.jpg

Ta da!

image.jpg

twscoot

Jun 9, 2013
Brisbane
Follow up from this thread. My current cover disintegrated after 9 months. It turns out one of the panels (it was clear only one panel failed) was sown in back to front.
This is my third such cover and the first to not last well beyond 2 years.
The online eBay retailer was fantastic (Ozplaza). Excellent email communication and with the help of some photos refunded my money as they were warrantied for 12 months.

Here's a photos of what went wrong. You can see one panel showing significant uv degradation. The bare patches eventually grew and became wafer thin.

image.jpg

Last edited:

Bellbirdweb

Jan 24, 2014
Sydney
Follow up from this thread. My current cover disintegrated after 9 months. It turns out one of the panels (it was clear only one panel failed) was sown in back to front.
This is my third such cover and the first to not last well beyond 2 years.
The online eBay retailer was fantastic (Ozplaza). Excellent email communication and with the help of some photos refunded my money as they were warrantied for 12 months.

Here's a photos of what went wrong. You can see one panel showing significant uv degradation. The bare patches eventually grew and became wafer thin.

View attachment 29189

@twscoot we have just had a similar problem with UV degradation. Our was only 4 months old, and I sent these pics through to the ebay seller (coincidentally also Ozplaza), and they have sent me a replacement. Reading the item details on line it states a 3 month warranty, but I do expect to get at least 12 months out of it. Will see how the 2nd one goes, but after seeing yours, I'm not holding out too much hope.

I guess if the UV is damaging the covers like this, it is at least stopping that same UV getting to the gelcoat on the van ?

I like your rolling method of getting it on, will give it a try this afternoon when we fit the new cover.

@meandher (a frost), you've had me in hysterics, as this scenario is exactly the same whenever we try and fit ours to our 21.64-1. In the end, its simpler to do it by myself. It takes longer, but much less grief from Mrs Bellbirdweb.
Roof.JPG
roof2.JPG

Last edited:
Reactions: skippy

twscoot

Jun 9, 2013
Brisbane
Thanks Bellbirdweb. Exactly what happened to ours. I'm certain it's a bad batch.

Have ordered a new one today from another eBay seller (avediastore) as I couldn't find ozplaza selling them.

This one comes with a two year warranty. A little more money @ $230. Will let you know how I go.

Keeping the sun off is worth it though. My last van looked pristine even after five years. This one is looking brand new still.

Reactions: Bellbirdweb

Bellbirdweb

Jan 24, 2014
Sydney
Thanks Bellbirdweb. Exactly what happened to ours. I'm certain it's a bad batch.

I hope you're right @twscoot, but I'm keen to see how your new one goes. If my replacement fails again I'll be looking for a better one.

I actually saw a really good cover on a van near us and looked up their web site. (Stormcovers.com.au) but $1450 seems a bit outlandish even if they do have a 4 year warranty

Dandy

Jan 18, 2014
We have the Aldi cover. ( they come up in the catalog a couple of times a year and you have to get there early!). We also use the tent pole technique and leave the poles in the van just in case. We found it helps to get the cover over the aircon. Although the rolling method will definitely get a go next time.

BTS

Mar 1, 2013
Sydney
With regards to putting on the cover, we found that our investment in a 11 year old works the best, did take a lot of stress out of putting on the cover, but added a lot more to our everyday life and somehow had a large impact on our disposable income as well.

Attachments

• Cover.jpg
    Cover.jpg
    410.3 KB · Views: 209
Reactions: davemc and Bushman

Bellbirdweb

Jan 24, 2014
Sydney
With regards to putting on the cover, we found that our investment in a 11 year old works the best, did take a lot of stress out of putting on the cover, but added a lot more to our everyday life and somehow had a large impact on our disposable income as well.

Our 11 year old decided she was into horses, that certainly made a dent I the disposable income :)

Now she is 19 and no longer riding so now we can afford the Expanda, but not sure if she'd be keen on standing on the roof.

Bushman

Forum Moderator
Staff member
Nov 9, 2010
Wollondilly Shire NSW
I'm dreading putting the cover on the new beast but guess I'll give my same method a go or the tent pole system.
But first i have to get a new cover to suit new van.

Another thing worth noteing for those fitting covers, especially first timers, be very careful of your aerial when removing covers. The shaft is very flimsy, yep I found out the hard way, bent the crap out of the aerial on our old Panda, and you cant just replace the shaft, only purchase the whole kit.
However with a trip to Bunnings ours was repaired and up and running for less than $10. ;)

Bellbirdweb

Jan 24, 2014
Sydney
I'm dreading putting the cover on the new beast but guess I'll give my same method a go or the tent pole system.
But first i have to get a new cover to suit new van.

Another thing worth noteing for those fitting covers, especially first timers, be very careful of your aerial when removing covers. The shaft is very flimsy, yep I found out the hard way, bent the crap out of the aerial on our old Panda, and you cant just replace the shaft, only purchase the whole kit.
However with a trip to Bunnings ours was repaired and up and running for less than $10. ;)

Another tip is to try and protect the sharp corners such as on solar panels etc.

We ripped a hole in the cover on a metal edge. Just purchased some corner protectors (the kiddy safe ones from Bunnings) and will be sticking them on all the sharp corners to try and prevent the new cover getting shredded.

Reactions: Smirke