17' Series 17.56 Being towed by a Prado 150

Draino

Apr 19, 2015
newman
Hi guys we are in the process of buying an expanda and are just wondering is anyone running a 150 series prado with a standard length draw bar?

Im just concerned that I'm going to have rear door opening dramas when the vans hooked up and also not being able to set the van up for over nighters while still being hooked up.

Do i need to buy one with the extended draw bar?

Can i buy second hand and get a new draw bar fitted?

Spoke to a person yesterday and they mentioned an extended haymen reese tongue, which the web sight has but doesn't mention if the ball weight is reduced.

Any info is appreciated please.

Cheers Dwayne Newman WA

gspy4u

Apr 27, 2012
Ipswich
have a 120 series so slightly different but have no problems at all with opening the rear door.

burnsie

Jan 29, 2015
Perth
www.expandasdownunder.com
First of all welcome, great model to pick ;)

There are quite a few people on here @Draino that have this setup, I am sure one of them will be able to advise you about opening the door and any restrictions associated with it.

Hopefully it still opens.........if it was in 4 weeks I could also tell you :) but my wait continues

Regarding extending the drawbar, the one I am picking up was stock so I didn't get this option but it would be nice to have as you can then easily add a toolbox and have a bit more room up front.

Be aware about the 17.56-x OB's and Prado 150 potential weight issues, heaps of posts about this on here, most if not all the new ones coming out of the factory have an ATM over 2500kg therefore you need to get it re-plated in the factory and pack less or try and pick one up second hand, we were lucky to grab one of the last 2014 ones through the factory with the JTECH suspension coming in with an ATM of 2332kg.

If you are going with one of the touring models might not be so much of an issue but worth keeping an eye on once you add some accessories etc.

Reactions: Draino and dagree

dagree

Mar 3, 2012
Perth. WA
Also have a 120 series with a 17.56.2OB with standard length a frame @Draino ..... No issue with opening the rear door until I fitted the ali box :o
In saying that I can still get it open enough to get a coldie out of the Waeco when hooked up 8-)

As for the extended HR Hitch we have one due to the ali box hitting the rear bumper when doing u-turns!!!! It is had a 3,500kg max weight and 350kg ball load. Was told it didn't matter what hole it was setup in.

Photo of it can be seen here

Draino

Apr 19, 2015
newman
First of all welcome, great model to pick ;)

There are quite a few people on here @Draino that have this setup, I am sure one of them will be able to advise you about opening the door and any restrictions associated with it.

Hopefully it still opens.........if it was in 4 weeks I could also tell you :) but my wait continues

Regarding extending the drawbar, the one I am picking up was stock so I didn't get this option but it would be nice to have as you can then easily add a toolbox and have a bit more room up front.

Be aware about the 17.56-x OB's and Prado 150 potential weight issues, heaps of posts about this on here, most if not all the new ones coming out of the factory have an ATM over 2500kg therefore you need to get it re-plated in the factory and pack less or try and pick one up second hand, we were lucky to grab one of the last 2014 ones through the factory with the JTECH suspension coming in with an ATM of 2332kg.

If you are going with one of the touring models might not be so much of an issue but worth keeping an eye on once you add some accessories etc.
Alrighty yeh the new one I've been considering is a 2015 with the j tech how do i check atm it says tare weight 2100 on the jayco sight, they are also telling me ours is an august arrival and should have the new bed end flys fitted standard? Isn't the 150 2500 kg braked allowed?

Draino

Apr 19, 2015
newman
Also have a 120 series with a 17.56.2OB with standard length a frame @Draino ..... No issue with opening the rear door until I fitted the ali box :o
In saying that I can still get it open enough to get a coldie out of the Waeco when hooked up 8-)

As for the extended HR Hitch we have one due to the ali box hitting the rear bumper when doing u-turns!!!! It is had a 3,500kg max weight and 350kg ball load. Was told it didn't matter what hole it was setup in.

Photo of it can be seen here
Yep I think id better just order the extended bar the missus would slaughter me if i scratched her car

Reactions: dagree

dagree

Mar 3, 2012
Perth. WA
No issue here as the Prado is mine..... Now if it was the SS well that would be a different story!!!!!

Reactions: bigcol

dagree

Mar 3, 2012
Perth. WA
Gross trailer weight braked (kg) 2500
Note: Towing capacity subject to regulatory requirements, towbar design, vehicle design and towing equipment limitations. Ask your Dealer for details of Toyota Genuine Towbar capacity and availability.

^^^^^^^^ That was from toyota website.... Click here

burnsie

Jan 29, 2015
Perth
www.expandasdownunder.com
The tare weight of 2100kg is only an estimation sometimes the weight can be a lot more with accessories and sometimes a bit less, if you add your 475kg of allowable weight for the dual axle on this to get to your ATM you are 75kg over. Some people request the plate to be max 2500kg and work out how much weight they can carry, maybe even take it over a weigh bridge, others have not worried and used it as is but then insurance and safety come into play.

Lots of things to consider when trying to tow a 17.56-2 OB with a Prado 150, still going through the process myself...

Reactions: dagree

Draino

Apr 19, 2015
newman
cheers I'm just going to have a go and enjoy ourselves got a old man emu set up and air bags on the back so should be able to level it out nicely and the prado has plenty of grunt was just concerned about the rear door getting in the way but if i get the extended draw bar bobs your uncle

Reactions: burnsie

Soaring

Jan 30, 2013
Melbourne - Eltham
cheers I'm just going to have a go and enjoy ourselves got a old man emu set up and air bags on the back so should be able to level it out nicely and the prado has plenty of grunt was just concerned about the rear door getting in the way but if i get the extended draw bar bobs your uncle
Just a suggestion, take it or leave it.
As your ATM will be above the legal towing limit of the Prado, take your van down to the weighbridge loaded with your normal gear and get a print out of the weight( assuming you are under the 2500) if the worst was to happen, and your insurance company wants to make things difficult, you will at least have something to indicate that you have shown due diligence. The insurance co would then have a harder time arguing their side.

Reactions: bigcol and burnsie

PeterV

Mar 25, 2015
Turramurra, NSW
Draino,

Great choice of van! I've also just ordered an expanda 17.56-2 OB to be towed by an NT Pajero and considered the same issue. I choose to order it without the extended draw bar as I came to the view that it was unlikely to materially impact the opening of the rear barn door. I think the coupling may have an impact though, and am currently considering a DO35 off-road coupling. This coupling is also compatible with the Hayman Reece weight distribution hitch which gives you some flexibility should you change your mind about the need for a WDH in the future.

The Pajero also has an effective towing limit of 2,500 kgs (it will tow 3,000 kgs but at a significantly reduced tow ball weight). Jayco agreed to stamp my van with an ATM of 2500 kgs. After some discussion on another thread on this site, I decided to weigh everything as I put it in the van so that I don't exceed my 240 kgs (approx.) payload (i.e., 400 kg total payload minus about 160 kgs allowance for the weight of full water tanks).

Happy camping!!!

Draino

Apr 19, 2015
newman
Draino,

Great choice of van! I've also just ordered an expanda 17.56-2 OB to be towed by an NT Pajero and considered the same issue. I choose to order it without the extended draw bar as I came to the view that it was unlikely to materially impact the opening of the rear barn door. I think the coupling may have an impact though, and am currently considering a DO35 off-road coupling. This coupling is also compatible with the Hayman Reece weight distribution hitch which gives you some flexibility should you change your mind about the need for a WDH in the future.

The Pajero also has an effective towing limit of 2,500 kgs (it will tow 3,000 kgs but at a significantly reduced tow ball weight). Jayco agreed to stamp my van with an ATM of 2500 kgs. After some discussion on another thread on this site, I decided to weigh everything as I put it in the van so that I don't exceed my 240 kgs (approx.) payload (i.e., 400 kg total payload minus about 160 kgs allowance for the weight of full water tanks).

Happy camping!!!
cheers

Simon

Dec 28, 2013
Melbourne
@Draino Ive got a 150 plus 17.56-1.

If you are ordering, definitely get the extend aframe. I thinks it's $300 extra. Tows better I reckon. Re weight it all depends on what accessories you put on and what van you get. The OB with shower will be at limit so I would get plate stamped to max ATM at 2500kg like a few people gave suggested. You'll be fine with standard OB and both Touring models.

Re hutch touching door, if you get a standard tourer, the hitch will just touch. This can be averted in a couple of way, if you under sling your axles, or get an OB model then the hitch will sit on bottom as opposed to surface of the frame and the door opens fine. Alternatively get a different hitch like, that should also allow the door to open.

Last edited:
Reactions: Draino

Bluey

Mar 31, 2014
Australia
@Draino don't muck around just get the extended draw bar they tow great it gives u heaps of room if over night stays staying connected still can open door easy if anything watch ur jockey wheel I sometimes hit mine when setting up or packing up
and gives u more options if fitting a box on front for barbie but I will have the plates in the boot so barbie weighs bugger all put wheel on the back if u can ??????? my 6pence

Reactions: bigcol and Draino

twscoot

Jun 9, 2013
Brisbane
Draino,

Happy camping!!!
And into your payload remeber each gas bottle weighs around 15kg and includes 8.5kg of gas (I assume empty gas tanks are weighed in the Tare weight) and there's more than likely over 20kg of water in your hot water system if you have used it.

Last edited:
Reactions: PeterV

Bluey

Mar 31, 2014
Australia
And into your payload remeber each gas bottle weighs around 15kg and includes 8.5kg of gas (I assume empty gas tanks are weighed in the Tare weight) and there's more than likely over 20kg of water in your hot water system if you have used it.
@twscoot I have been told by them they don't weigh them with gas bottles on at all empty or full