17' Series Yikes! Some parts fell off my awning!

Luke.sleeman

Jan 14, 2019
Victoria
I was just packing away the van and some bits fell off the awning!

IMG_20190215_141200.jpg

First the grey round rubber bumper fell off from somewhere up the top. I didn't see where it came from and I can't see a similar bumper on the other pole. If anybody can tell me where to put it back it would be greatly appreciated.

Then, because today is just my lucky day, the screw knob bit and it's plate fell out! I've tried to put it back in by holding it into place with a screwdriver, but it's awfully fiddley. I can't really see a way to get it back together without pulling the whole awning to bits. If there is a trick to putting it back I would love to know!

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
Buy a Lotto ticket with the $25 you just saved, and thats just for the black knob, sadly the only way I found was to remove the awning arm and if I recall correctly it just involved pulling the awning out far enough so you can take one end of the spreader bar off either from van or awning, not sure which was easier, or if there was a locking tab, so one section will slide out, when replacing the locking screw burr the end so it won't let go again.......can't check mine as its too windy.....of course you should burr the other side as well...

DRW

May 29, 2013
Beautiful Burrum Heads QLD
Haha I have spares for some reason lol I got home on Monday and when washing the van noticed both knobs looose @chartrock found me a nut in his spares box a long way from home once also, pull the awning out stand on a chair and eventually you will get it in using the screw driver and lots of patience, throw the bump stop away the other one is obviously missing as well

Macca_75

Aug 3, 2016
SE Suburbs, Vic.
I was just packing away the van and some bits fell off the awning!

View attachment 62722

First the grey round rubber bumper fell off from somewhere up the top. I didn't see where it came from and I can't see a similar bumper on the other pole. If anybody can tell me where to put it back it would be greatly appreciated.

Then, because today is just my lucky day, the screw knob bit and it's plate fell out! I've tried to put it back in by holding it into place with a screwdriver, but it's awfully fiddley. I can't really see a way to get it back together without pulling the whole awning to bits. If there is a trick to putting it back I would love to know!
That black knob must weigh a ton - look at what it did to the concreate floor.

As for putting the new one in, I can't remember but from memory I just jammed it in place with a straightened coat hanger until could get a few turns on it.

Oh - and I carry a packet of spares now - I am sure I will forget to tighten them again 1 day....

Reactions: Drover

Luke.sleeman

Jan 14, 2019
Victoria
Managed to put it back together yesterday. I pulled out the awning then spent some time fiddling with a screwdriver to the the knob and it's plate back in position. I managed to get it sorted, but it was fiddley.

Still no idea what the rubber bumper was from.