VIC Wye River Big 4

Crusty181

Feb 7, 2010
Mentone, VIC
AFL Grand Final long weekend at the Wye River Big 4 Tourist Park

Its a fair sized park, 25 acres carved into the surround bush with 130 sites powered and unpowered sections. The park is opposite the surf beach and has a nice feel to the place. The Wye River meanders through the park, it was quite shallow apparently can get a flow going. The majority of the sites are on dirt streets which caused the shower blocks to become dirty very early in the day. During a wet period the shower blocks would be filthy.

That said there are 3 shower blocks. I only used block 1 and 3 and they are quite new and very nice with screen door showers, great pressure and instant HWS.

Sites are big enough for a van, annex and car, although the 20ft'er only just fitted on our site. Other sites woyld have accomodated us better, but thats our fault. Plenty of trees around the park and individual sites. No pets that i saw

No sullage on any of the site where we were located, and power poles shared between every second site.

The usual Big 4 offering such as peddle carts, jumping pillow, play ground in the huge central kids area, which was also next to the river ... a point to watch the little ones.

The grassed site had large dirt patches which would get muddy in wet weather. That said the more developed sites 1 thru 10 would be fine in any weather. Our closest camp kitchens small but functional, the main one better but realistically too far away from our site

We found people taking casual notice of site boundaries.

Curfew is 11 till 7. We arrived early evening on the Thu, and the place was jumping. Princess Crusty was initially a bit worried about yahoos, but as per the curfew the hords to their credit were all very respectful of the curfew.

Theres plenty of bush track to run or ride through, so e very challenging, and its a good beach opposite.

Directly outside the gate is a general store and cafe/restaurant which was good, a theres a pub 100m up the road with good food and view to match. Lorne is also only 15 or minutes away.

Local fishing is reportedly very good.

Nice spot to base a Great Ocean Rd/Otway adventure from. We'll be back

Bluey

Mar 31, 2014
Australia
AFL Grand Final long weekend at the Wye River Big 4 Tourist Park

Its a fair sized park, 25 acres carved into the surround bush with 130 sites powered and unpowered sections. The park is opposite the surf beach and has a nice feel to the place. The Wye River meanders through the park, it was quite shallow apparently can get a flow going. The majority of the sites are on dirt streets which caused the shower blocks to become dirty very early in the day. During a wet period the shower blocks would be filthy.

That said there are 3 shower blocks. I only used block 1 and 3 and they are quite new and very nice with screen door showers, great pressure and instant HWS.

Sites are big enough for a van, annex and car, although the 20ft'er only just fitted on our site. Other sites woyld have accomodated us better, but thats our fault. Plenty of trees around the park and individual sites. No pets that i saw

No sullage on any of the site where we were located, and power poles shared between every second site.

The usual Big 4 offering such as peddle carts, jumping pillow, play ground in the huge central kids area, which was also next to the river ... a point to watch the little ones.

The grassed site had large dirt patches which would get muddy in wet weather. That said the more developed sites 1 thru 10 would be fine in any weather. Our closest camp kitchens small but functional, the main one better but realistically too far away from our site

We found people taking casual notice of site boundaries.

Curfew is 11 till 7. We arrived early evening on the Thu, and the place was jumping. Princess Crusty was initially a bit worried about yahoos, but as per the curfew the hords to their credit were all very respectful of the curfew.

Theres plenty of bush track to run or ride through, so e very challenging, and its a good beach opposite.

Directly outside the gate is a general store and cafe/restaurant which was good, a theres a pub 100m up the road with good food and view to match. Lorne is also only 15 or minutes away.

Local fishing is reportedly very good.

Nice spot to base a Great Ocean Rd/Otway adventure from. We'll be back
sounds nice but without pics where you there ???????

Crusty181

Feb 7, 2010
Mentone, VIC
Sorry @Bluey ... not sure what I was thinking there

Wye River beach
1000010.jpg
Why River coffee on Wye River Beach
1000011.jpg
View from the deck of the pub
1000013.jpg
1. Grand Final
2. Booze
3. Someone else cooking my lunch
IMG_20151005_234151.jpg
Yaks ready to go
1000036.jpg
He's suppose to be in that yak ....
IMG_20151005_234306.jpg

dagree

Mar 3, 2012
Perth. WA
Coffee... Beaches... Beer... Kayaking.... and someone to cook my lunch. Now that's where I want to be 8-) OH that's why we are going to Margaret River in 4 weeks ;)

And winter weather puts a downer on our south coast also :(

Reactions: Crusty181

Smergen

Jun 8, 2014
Bacchus Marsh
Wow... had I known I would have stopped in on my way down or back from Kennett River mate. How good was the weather?

And yes @dagree... there is a reason the GOR is so well known and has an awesome reputation. Quite simply one of the best places on earth, not just Victoria/Australia*.

*conditions apply: as long as the wind isn't blowing too much or it's crapping down rain. Then... then it's quite nasty.

Crusty181

Feb 7, 2010
Mentone, VIC
Wow... had I known I would have stopped in on my way down or back from Kennett River mate. How good was the weather?

And yes @dagree... there is a reason the GOR is so well known and has an awesome reputation. Quite simply one of the best places on earth, not just Victoria/Australia*.

*conditions apply: as long as the wind isn't blowing too much or it's crapping down rain. Then... then it's quite nasty.
Awesome weekend, and the Expanda range was very well represented at Wye River .... they were thick on the ground.

Bluey

Mar 31, 2014
Australia
Awesome weekend, and the Expanda range was very well represented at Wye River .... they were thick on the ground.
very nice you can get a good wave there but its got to good swell for it to work surfed it many times is that your new cruiser behind your van ????? if so well done you've joined the team great pics and nice car

Crusty181

Feb 7, 2010
Mentone, VIC
very nice you can get a good wave there but its got to good swell for it to work surfed it many times is that your new cruiser behind your van ????? if so well done you've joined the team great pics and nice car
No @Bluey, i was throwing my empty cans into the back ....

Reactions: dagree