Electrical Wiring

Chadjayco

Jan 30, 2023
Adelaide
Hi guys I have a jayco finch outback pop top camper 2003 I’ve only recently bought it and was clean up under the seats when I noticed I have mocked a couple wires loose and my 12v power is not working now does anyone have an easy answer to where these has come off of.
1 is positive from the battery the goes through a house hold light switch and the other is negative coming out the back of the fuse box.
I’ve tested the buzz bars and the 1 with all the black wires is neg but the end with all the white wires is neg too.
Hopefully this isn’t to confusing cheers in advance

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    234.6 KB · Views: 113
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    346.1 KB · Views: 105
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    239.8 KB · Views: 104
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    196.7 KB · Views: 107

Boots in Action

Mar 13, 2017
Ferny Grove, Queensland
Hi guys I have a jayco finch outback pop top camper 2003 I’ve only recently bought it and was clean up under the seats when I noticed I have mocked a couple wires loose and my 12v power is not working now does anyone have an easy answer to where these has come off of.
1 is positive from the battery the goes through a house hold light switch and the other is negative coming out the back of the fuse box.
I’ve tested the buzz bars and the 1 with all the black wires is neg but the end with all the white wires is neg too.
Hopefully this isn’t to confusing cheers in advance
Just looking at the thickness of both wires and the fact that both appear to have been poorly secured (possibly into the same connector?), I would look at the second connector on the left in the third photo. The other side of that connector has a similar size wire connected to it which is not linked to anything else. Check if holding screw is loose. If so, then there is a good chance it will be the one. BUT CHECK WHAT BOTH ENDS OF CABLES ON EITHER SIDE ARE CONNECTED BEFORE DOING ANYTHINNG, OR YOU MAY LET OUT THE SMOKE AND FLAME DRAGON!!

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
The household light switch affair is usually the battery ON/OFF switch, between battery and Setek, it is imperative that you check the polarity of the wire in all vans as even though most are built here in Australia for some stupid reason they will/may have Black as POS +ve and White as NEG -ve, contrary to our RED is POS and Black is NEG, so once it leaves the factory and other bits get added or even extras added in the factory you will have both wiring codes, always test never assume ...

I found in my 14.44 that it took 3 years for me to find that the wires connected to the battery iso switch were never screwed in properly from the beginning the wire was paired too short so check if you have 2 black wires from the light switch one to battery and other to Setek, should be an inline fuse there somewhere as well.......

The 240v lead should be unplugged from van not just turned off, even when just doing 12v stuff, never trust the wiring in an old van and test the 240v RCD regularly by pushing the button ... some Goldstar units have failed over the years....

Reactions: Boots in Action

Chadjayco

Jan 30, 2023
Adelaide
Thanks for your help guys I’ve decided to just rip it all out as the last owner had used extension cords and other poor choices so I gutted everything and put in my own fuse block and breaker it now looks like the following photo also done away with the jayco charger as I’m running lithium and am just waiting for the lithium charger and solar regulator to complete the job

Attachments

• 02B3957C-6E9F-42F5-906A-52023D8C8A16.jpeg
    02B3957C-6E9F-42F5-906A-52023D8C8A16.jpeg
    309.6 KB · Views: 127
Reactions: Drover

Boots in Action

Mar 13, 2017
Ferny Grove, Queensland
Thanks for your help guys I’ve decided to just rip it all out as the last owner had used extension cords and other poor choices so I gutted everything and put in my own fuse block and breaker it now looks like the following photo also done away with the jayco charger as I’m running lithium and am just waiting for the lithium charger and solar regulator to complete the job
Looking much tidier already @Chadjayco, and you know everything is done right!! Don't forget if charging from tug, you will have to fit a DC to DC charger as you cannot just hook up the tug alternator to lithium in van.

Last edited:

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
Often its far easier to rip out and start again than stuff around on a fact finding mission ............. if that breaker is horizontal find a lid/cover for it, as it doesn't take much for something to accidently trip the thing, been there done that..
The old Setek's make a good 12v distribution unit once you retire it from battery charging, just need to pull the 240 plug out and its done, saving lots of $$$ in the process.