Electrical Wiring tow pro elite and 12pin plug

Samuelbrown85

Jul 18, 2018
Sydney
Hi everyone,
I have recently purchased a eagle outback brand new.
This will be the first camp trailer I have ever owned. Just looking for some advice on wiring the electric brakes/ 12pin plug due to the crazy prices quoted by auto electricians.
Thanks in advance.
Obviously a 7pin plus Anderson was my request, but they told me I could only get a 12pin wired to their spec.
I own a Toyota hilux 2014 already fitted with a tow bar and 7pin plug.

First up, I bought a tow pro elite. (4cables)
One to negative/earth (white)
One to positive (with circuit breaker)(black)
The next, trailer brakes (blue)
when I went to wire this in to the plug. There was already a blue wire installed. Do I remove this and go straight from brake controller? Or splice them together?

The next is wired to the brake light.(red) I combined the wire from the brake controller to the brake wire going into the 12pin. (Just like to confirm this is correct).

I have the document of how the 12 pin should be wired. My question is If pin 2 is powered directly from the battery. Does this mean you don’t have any reverse lights?
Thanks in advance for the replies
Sam

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
The blue wire is generally the brake wire for vans/trailer, most vehicles have it pre wired so one end is under the dash near peddels and the other end sitting in the harness down the back, this is so you don't have to run another wire when hooking up a controller, though many do run a heavier gauge.....sounds like your plug in tug is already hooked up to it just need to find the blue under the dash, quite often the pick up for brake light is taken from the 7/12 pin brake light connector as the old time way of picking up supply from the brake switch doesn't work now due to ECM's running the show, so a wire is run from controller to the 7 pin to supply this demand, power can be drawn from battery.....this is why it's always advisable to have the manufacture's tow harness package fitted saves heaps of stuffing around and means less problems with plug wiring.
I have a dedicated power supply coming into the cabin from battery to a fuse block to supply power for controller, CB and other stuff, no need to run multiple cables thru fire wall or trying to find supply under the dash.
Sounds like your heading in the right direction.

Last edited:

MDS69

Jul 6, 2014
The blue wire is generally the brake wire for vans/trailer, most vehicles have it pre wired so one end is under the dash near peddels and the other end sitting in the harness down the back, this is so you don't have to run another wire when hooking up a controller, though many do run a heavier gauge.....sounds like your plug in tug is already hooked up to it just need to find the blue under the dash, quite often the pick up for brake light is taken from the 7/12 pin brake light connector as the old time way of picking up supply from the brake switch doesn't work now due to ECM's running the show, so a wire is run from controller to the 7 pin to supply this demand, power can be drawn from battery.....this is why it's always advisable to have the manufacture's tow harness package fitted saves heaps of stuffing around and means less problems with plug wiring.
I have a dedicated power supply coming into the cabin from battery to a fuse block to supply power for controller, CB and other stuff, no need to run multiple cables thru fire wall or trying to find supply under the dash.

On our 120 series Prado with factory towbar and wiring the blue wire from the 7 pin socket was coiled in the jack compartment behind the passenger side tail light. I ran a 2 core cable to this location from the brake controller to pick up the brake trigger and joined the other core to power the electric brakes via this blue wire in question.

Reactions: Drover

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
On our 120 series Prado with factory towbar and wiring the blue wire from the 7 pin socket was coiled in the jack compartment behind the passenger side tail light. .

Lazy buggers, thats why you pay the Toyota Tax I suppose................................sometimes it pays to just run your own cable anyway then you know whats what...
When I aquire a new vehicle I usually think ahead what cables I need running to back and lay them all in one hit, even if I may not use a couple for a few years, get the horrible job done once then it's a matter of just connecting up later on, things like cams, aerials etc.

MDS69

Jul 6, 2014
Lazy buggers, thats why you pay the Toyota Tax I suppose................................sometimes it pays to just run your own cable anyway then you know whats what...
When I aquire a new vehicle I usually think ahead what cables I need running to back and lay them all in one hit, even if I may not use a couple for a few years, get the horrible job done once then it's a matter of just connecting up later on, things like cams, aerials etc.

I like your thinking on planning for the future. I am guilty of having to open up the cable pathways more than once to add extras. If I ever update our vehicle I will have to sit down and have a long hard think about my requirements, current and future.

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
The thought of crawling underneath, even though I had walk under facilities, was a pain so i thought I will need 2 power runs to back, 2 x camera lines, brake line and a couple of others just in case, which I had no idea what for so bundled them up and went from engine bay to back of tray, also found a long HDMI cable is fantastic for a camera run, good quality shielded cable for the ute rear and van cam's with extra lines enclosed if needed....If I need to run cable into the cabin I use the floor drain plugs, easier to get at than trying to do the firewall grommets.

Samuelbrown85

Jul 18, 2018
Sydney
Thanks everyone for the speedy response and knowledge.
I took your advice drover and ran every possible wire I could think to save doing it again in the future.
A tip I got given was to drop the wires out of the bottom of the engine bay and run them inside the chassis rail.
No clips, ties etc.
Also to use the plastic strip out of yellow tongue flooring to feed the wires

Reactions: Drover

Edwinp

Jul 15, 2018
Perth
Some advice if possible I have an Amarok with red arc tow pro elite already installed through my 7 pin round and in working order. I just bought a second hand 17.56-2 with a 12 pin and anderson running the fridge. My question before I jump into the whole rewiring setup can I tow the van home on the 7 pin with the appropriate adapter and brakes will work?

Thanks