Wiring from vehicle for Anderson plug to the Caravan Fridge ?

Doggy

Aug 20, 2011
Cairns , NTH QLD
Hey all, You fellas that are up & running whats to senerio for the wiring one has to do on there vehicle when ya van has an Anderson Plug factory fitted to run the fridge off the vehicle whilst traveling ?

Here goes what I think & need to do. Correct me any one if I am not right.

Start at the front of the vehicle.
10 mm positive & negative to the starting battery.
Run thru to rear of vehicle & fit the " SMALL Anderson Plug. Female end of plug " to these wires.
ready for plug in on the hitch of the van where factory Jayco has supplied run to the fridge.

Also for the lights etc etc. I have a 7 small round on my vehicle. I have been told by my dealer to just purchase an adaptor going from 7 pin small round to 7 pin flat which will plug into Jayco factory 12 pin flat they supply.
Is this correct & am I right in what I am doing fellas ?

Cheers,
Doggy.

Jim and Tab

Jul 29, 2011
Bendigo Victoria
hi doggy
if your running the wire straight from your car battery to the van make sure you put a fuse at the car battery end of the wire.
another thing you might want to do is fit a relay to your wiring so when the ignition is off no power to your van unless your vehicle has a duel battery set up. or you will drain the car battery very quickly if the fridge is on.
cheers tab and jim

millers

Mar 25, 2011
Adelaide
Hi Doggy,

+1 for fuse and isolator (especially for the fridge)

I have the reverse setup; in that I changed to the 12 pin plug on the car for the Expanda. I now need to revert back to round for other trailers.

I have the adaptor, but noticed that the 7 into 12 does not make use of the locking mechanisim (spring loaded cover) on the 12 pin connector on the car.

For trailer work I am not that fussed as this is on sealed roads. You may wish to check that the adaptor locks in and you are comfortable that on rough roads they will not come apart.

I am assuming that this may be as easy as going into a auto store and trying them.

Cheers
Steve

Turtle

Banned
Jan 23, 2011
Bathurst, NSW
A fuse and relay are a must.
I wired my relay coil so that it opperates when my headlights are on as I always travel on the open road with my lights on and most modern cars either have an audible warning or automaticaly turn the lights off when you get out of the car.
This ensures the car battery doesn't get flattened by the fridge.