Starcraft Wireless reversing cameras vs wired reversing cameras

Willow4

Sep 27, 2015
Newcastle, NSW
Hi everyone - sorry about so many posts today, mind is ticking over having the caravan on the driveway.I just wanted to ask if anyone has a wireless reversing camera and if so what are your thoughts on them.

I am thinking that it is probably a good idea to invest in one as I envisage that there could be a couple of "falling out" situations at the start and end of each trip between myself and @Gilmorehappy with regards to giving directions when reversing!!!!

I love eBay too just so you know :)

Thanks in advance.

Smirke

May 9, 2014
Palmyra, WA
Hi @Willow4 . We were thinking of one, but 11 months down the track still don't have one. When hubby's not with us I just get one of the boys to stand at the back corner and tell me how close I am To whatever is behind or any tree branches. (Hubby does all these arm movements, but I just ignore them and put it where I want). Works a treat for me.

Willow4

Sep 27, 2015
Newcastle, NSW
Hi @Smirke. Thanks for your reply, I am so impressed that you reverse a caravan that is 21ft!! I'd be terrified. Having said that I know that I need to get over the fear and I should learn to do it so that in the event that I need to, I can. I should have said that the last time I tried to reverse our trailer down the driveway, an eBay purchase that I needed to get home of course, and I managed to snap the jockey wheel handle clean off!!! I even tried to get the postie, who just happened to come along to witness my diabolical effort, to do it for me but alas he couldn't. So I abandoned it where it was until gallant hubby came home to sort it out for me :)

I am just picturing your hubby waving his arms around and you just doing what you like :)

davemc

Oct 29, 2013
Viewbank, Victoria
www.expandasdownunder.com
We like ours not just for reversing also those cars that sit up your arse in your blind spot.
Brought a Safety Dave wired. With the 22.68 I think it could be too long for a wireless and I heard some of the cheap ones have a slight delay.
I normally call Sarah or visa versa when reversing even though there is a mic on our camera.

NoWorries

Sep 28, 2015
Perth
www.expandasdownunder.com
Hi Willow
I am too looking at all the options for a wireless/wired camera
I was looking at this option
http://www.digoptions.com/category_s/2018.htm
I have dealt with this company before and found him to be very good and informative so I believe that the product may do what he says
as he states "*Signal strength comes close, but does not quite match that of a physical cable" but if it comes close im happy

Reactions: Willow4

Rockape

Nov 20, 2012
Hills District, NSW
Hi @Willow4
I have a wireless system installed in mine. I installed a camera with night vision on the back and wired it up to an A/V transmitter under the front seat of the Journey. I then bought a 7 inch screen that simply clips onto the existing rear view mirror. I have the A/V receiver behind the back seat. So far it has worked well. Wied would be better, however I am very happy with the wireless system I have installed. I leave it on all the time so that I can see what's happening behind the van when I'm driving.
Cheers
Nick

bigcol

Nov 22, 2012
Swan Valley Perth
I have wired - would have anything but in my opinion (and thats not worth much.............)

my sister has a wireless one for reversing her car up to the Van........ meh....... it works ok,
comes on automatically when put into reverse, but when she goes into drive if it is still on- it automatically picks up any other wireless signals

I would always suggest going the wired system, safe, secure, and plug and play

I spent a small fortune on the Polaris system - highly recommend it - except the price
http://www.mypolaris.com.au/index.html

chartrock

Forum Patriarch
Staff member
Sep 26, 2010
Gold Coast Hinterland
I have gone wired as I heard too many stories about the wireless ones picking up stray signals and not handling their own signals properly. Safety Dave sells one similar to my unit which has a camera on the truck and another on the van. It comes on automatically with reverse and is great for backing up to the van for hookup and can be switched to the van camera when in reverse and manually as required. I use it on all the time I drive with the van on as it shows me what is directly behind.

Reactions: Willow4 and bigcol

dagree

Mar 3, 2012
Perth. WA
I also went a wired system as have heard too many stories of lack of success with the wireless ones.
AXIS camera and connection wiring kit and plugged it into auxiliary connection of the digoptions stereo/gps system. Only issue is it has to be setup with Picture in Picture mode to be able to listen to the radio, CD etc. Flick it back to full screen when reversing!
Camera is wired through a 12V switch and can be switched on/off when needed!

shiraz

Oct 22, 2012
sellicks hill s.a
I agree with Chartrock we have a Safety Dave system on ute and van both are wired direct we can switch between them to check coupling on rough roads but the bonus is they are wired for sound which is volume controled,not only can we now see a semi we can hear him if we want to
Shiraz

Smirke

May 9, 2014
Palmyra, WA
Hi @Smirke. Thanks for your reply, I am so impressed that you reverse a caravan that is 21ft!! I'd be terrified. Having said that I know that I need to get over the fear and I should learn to do it so that in the event that I need to, I can. I should have said that the last time I tried to reverse our trailer down the driveway, an eBay purchase that I needed to get home of course, and I managed to snap the jockey wheel handle clean off!!! I even tried to get the postie, who just happened to come along to witness my diabolical effort, to do it for me but alas he couldn't. So I abandoned it where it was until gallant hubby came home to sort it out for me :)

I am just picturing your hubby waving his arms around and you just doing what you like :)
You will be suprised. Reversing a van is HEAPS easier than a trailer, as you can see it! It always makes me and hubby laugh whenever we go anywhere, as I'm the one who always reverses the van in while he stands and watches along with a growing crowd of grey nomads. You can see the "she's going to stuff this up and ruin the car/van" in their faces. I just need to remember we have the slide out as a few times I've forgotten and have needed to move it slightly.
Just give it a try, you will see how much easier it is.

yabbietol

Sep 2, 2014
Queanbeyan NSW
Three comments:
1. Wireless cameras can be a real pain, had one on my Avan and gave up on it. We have a hard wired "Ora" rear view camera and monitor on our Kedron and tow, which has two cameras. One looks down the bore of our McHitch auto coupler and is great for hooking up and unhooking. The other is on the rear of the van and is great for backing and seeing those numbties who hide behind your van and try to surprise overtake you. It also allows you to plan a bit ahead when you see a big truck approaching from behind.
2. Backing the van is a steep learning curve, but I found taking it in stages is the best way, stop get out and check where you and hazards are located. Use the camera to check and mostly use the mirrors. A trusted assistant makes the whole process easier, a couple of important points are to agree on are common clear hand signals an keep your assistant in your vision (mostly using mirrors and on rare occasions the camera). If you lose sight of your assistant stop and fix the situation.
3. We are both enrolled in a Tow-ed course on 1 Dec and believe this will also help refine our van backing techniques as well as general safety. We have been told this course is well worth doing and are looking forward to it.

Note: I have been driving and backing large fire trucks with poor rear vision and no cameras, for many years and the main thing that makes it easy is having a trusted experienced assistant guiding you with clear simple standard hand signals who always stays in sight.

Sweet Pea

Apr 9, 2015
New South Wales
We went wired and had Jayco install it when we picked up Starcraft 2 weeks ago. We had our first trip this weekend and found the rear camera fantastic and as davemc said very helpful for those pesky cars sitting on our backside. It in our opinions wasn't very exy to have it installed and the $ have been well spent.

Reactions: bigcol