Wind up ariel (are they any good)

jdove

Aug 23, 2011
Sunshine Coast Qld
Hi There

The Dove is on it's way out and I am in the process of getting quotes and placing a order for a 14.44.4 outback. I have a good idea of the extra's that we want,one thing I wanted to do was get rid of the pool extension pole and ariel and go for a wind up ariel. I guess the title say's it all,are they any good???

Cheers

Jim and Tab

Jul 29, 2011
Bendigo Victoria
Hi Jdove.
We have just been away for a cpl of weeks and noticed plenty of people using them.
We spoke to a few who didnt have a bad word to say about them,
We wanted to make sure they were ok before we buy one.
Will start looking around now were happy with what people say
Cheers Jim/Tab and Diamond

Big Gee

Apr 8, 2011
The ACT
Hi Jdove,

Initially I wasn't thrilled with the reception we had been getting from the wind up! But Jayco ACT suggested fitting a Horizontal Plane attachment??????? cost about 45 bucks I think from memory, I dont know what it does or even how it works but I must say I havent had a complaint since.

Shaun

andrea

Nov 9, 2011
Brisbane
The wind up is great. They have a little booster switch which is a must. The few times we've been camping, we've often experience wet weather so being able to just wind it up and redirect it from the inside has been a big plus for us.

Matty4

Mar 18, 2011
Wandin North, Vic
I'll have to put in my views from a different side.
My last van was a Galaxy that came with the Winegard aerial. It was rubbish.
I was never able to get good reception on it, even at home where I had perfect reception in the house.

I now use a Travellers Mate from Saturn Antennas.
http://www.saturnantennas.com.au/products.aspx

No turning or adapters required, runs on 240v and 12v, I even got the small adapter that allows me to sit the aerial into the roof clip of the van so it sits much further up than a wind up would.

My 2c.
(just thought this thread needed a balanced input.....hehe)

Matty4

Mar 18, 2011
Wandin North, Vic
Just a question though.............don't know how you'd go winding her up though.....
images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSlgFjdgnX8cV0BhFFefy2JjvhyhwgkVpg5-rcnQEeGRAuuz-_qWw.jpg

Hehe..

Are We There Yet?

Jun 24, 2011
Vic
Matty I've just sold our Travellers mate antenna, so it's good to hear that you like it so much :)
We never actually ended up using it because we upgraded to the expanda with wineguard wind up antenna included.

We have had some locations with a perfect picture and other places it's been hopeless. If we were keeping the van we would have got the wingman attachment that enhances the signal.