Will this setup bring us around Australia or not?

What do you think of that setup?
Will the car survive 12 months around Australia?

TOW VEHICLE: (we'll buy this one from that rental company)
https://www.travelcar.com.au/car-rental/4-wheel-drives/4x4-hilux/

CARAVAN:
Thinking of an Jayco Expanda Pop-Up with bunks. (I think the number is 16.49.4) preferable the outback version (2009 - 2011).
Because the car is bit heavy on the rear axis, we might only be able to pull a rather light van.

I am very curious what you think about it!
What challenges might we face?
Anything that worries you right from the beginning?

Thanks a lot!
An AUSTRIAN family is appreciating your thoughts ;-)

You may wish to check if you can actually install a tow bar on this. The rear of the Hilux in the link has a specially designed tray and bumper.
Thanks! Good question - but the seller has assured me that (for an additional AUD 420,-) a tow bar can be installed. But they also mentioned that the weight for towing is limited (due to the construction of the additional features on the car)

We are pretty new when it comes to camping in Australia (we do a lot here in Europe in our VW Bus, but nature is a bit different – more gentle – here).
Our idea is to have a setup that allows us to live in the caravan (I guess most of the 12 months) but also to disconnect it and travel just with the car.

We have on our bucket list driving up Cape York, Fraser Island, … but also just to do short trips without the van to be more flexible and to experience the true Australia (I guess that starts when seals roads end).

If we choose a lighter car with less equipment, then all of our belongings (and I believe, traveling 1 year with 3 kids automatically comes with a lot of stuff) needs to go in the caravan. First, we were planing to tow a Goldstream Storm (or the equivalent in the Jayco universe), but having hardly any storage completely brought us off that idea. As a compromise (storage vs. weight) we are now focussing on a top-up expanda with bunks.

What setup would you recommend for us?
How would you travel with 3 kids?
I am curious ;-)

Hylux

Sep 1, 2017
Newcastle
my opinion - no its not a good combination for 12 months travel. I have a 2011 hilux and a14.44 van around 1800kg with typical load for a couple of weeks and it goes well.

but with all that extra weight on the back of that Hilux and the extra weight of the van compared to mine you are really going to pushing its limits or exceed it, the Hilux will either be rated at 2250 or 2500 max tow capacity so do some homework.

my setup

WP_20180502_08_20_29_Pro.jpg

Reactions: Jack Lucy & Josh
my opinion - no its not a good combination for 12 months travel. I have a 2011 hilux and a14.44 van around 1800kg with typical load for a couple of weeks and it goes well.

but with all that extra weight on the back of that Hilux and the extra weight of the van compared to mine you are really going to pushing its limits or exceed it, the Hilux will either be rated at 2250 or 2500 max tow capacity so do some homework.

my setup

View attachment 61411
Are you worried about the physical stress that the caravan applies to the car (suspension, brakes, …) or the engine? What do you think will fail first ;-)

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
I would be thinking like the others that it may be close to it's GVM as it is, which taken away from it's GCM may only leave you with a small camper to drag behind. You possibly would find that once a tow bar is fitted you may not be able to get a van type hitch to fit due to the floor of the tray being too close...also the tow hitch will need to be the big toyota one not the smaller one and a tow hitch kit fitted for the electric side of things, one of the few things genuine that is really a must.

A visual inspection with tape measure, a certified weigh bridge certificate and a good inspection by someone cluey would be a must, as a hire vehicle can have some hidden problems especially 4x4 ones.

Crusty181

Feb 7, 2010
Mentone, VIC
Firstly rental camping units in this country generally have a very very hard life, and are generally have their best years way behind them. How many km's has that vehicle done ??? The Oz Outback is very very hard on vehicles particularly vehicles that are overloaded for extended periods. This vehicle would be without question overloaded. A Hilux has a payload of around 1000kg so fuel, passengers, bullbar and the that box on the back would easily exceed that. The point being that vehicle is likely to have been used for a long time, over its limits in one of the most vehicle hostile and isolated environments in the world. An ex 4x4 rental with high km's used in outback Oz ... you not find a single person in Australia that would touch it.

The Hilux has been set up to its capacity in the format it is. I would suggest you cant have both that, and tow a caravan. The another option would be to buy a similar vehicle without that very heavy box on the back. Put a rooftop tent on a roof rack yourself. You will avoid all the weight issues this particular

Hylux

Sep 1, 2017
Newcastle
Are you worried about the physical stress that the caravan applies to the car (suspension, brakes, …) or the engine? What do you think will fail first ;-)

some good info from others but some points towing as you mentioned with that hilux

1. I think the setup would be unsafe, overweight, chance of rolling the lot crashing
2. You would need an auto as a manual will end up damaging clutch and gearbox in that model Hilux
3. It will be slow when it sees a hill
4. Hilux Utes are not overly known for bending chassis but with your setup may be at risk
5. You say 3 kids, how old? Not a great deal of room in the rear seats. Also we have strict rules on young children being in child seats and booster seats. If one of your kids is under 5 years old and needs one you won't have room for 3 kids. You may also need to have child restraint anchor points installed. Look into this no matter what you end up with.

I would look at a landcruiser, there are various type to choose from and ask your questions again.

good luck.
Ps yes the Hilux without the van would make a great tourer if the kids fit

@ all
Thanks for all your replies and for your honest answers. I appreciate that a lot, even though I see my favorite setup popping like a bubble. And that hurts.
But I did not ask this forum to get a bunch of "yes". I was looking for good pieces of advice – and I know I did get what I asked for!!

Here are some more informations about us.
We have been living in Geraldton for 3 months this autumn and winter. Just returned to Austria. Our house-exchange-family provided us a Hilux and all 3 kids (age between 4 and 9) perfectly fit in there. Even with booster seats. It's not as comfortable as it would be in front seats – but hey, it's all about compromises ;-)

I love the Hilux we are thinking to buy. It has got everything we need. From the very first moment on. We are only allowed to stay in your beautiful country for a certain time and I don't want to be wasting it with buying a second hand car and than slowly but surely adapting it to our needs and buying all the needed equipment on the second hand market (brand new is not a financial option for us).
I have faith in the company that sells it. They exchange any possible part before it breaks as any repair in the bushes is way more expensive and exhausting than doing it in their home base workshop. Rooftent, winch, … is all replaced before they sell it. Yes, it does have a lot of kilometers on it but I don't expect any part to be still the original one. BUT we won't fit all our gear and kids in the Hilux at the same time. So we need something to tow around.

So, what possible trailer or caravan could we tow with that Hilux or is it just not made to be towing anything?

Smergen

Jun 8, 2014
Bacchus Marsh
@ all
BUT we won't fit all our gear and kids in the Hilux at the same time. So we need something to tow around.

So, what possible trailer or caravan could we tow with that Hilux or is it just not made to be towing anything?

I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but I really don't see this thing (legally) towing anything of any great size or weight. Like @Crusty181 has pointed out, it's highly like that this vehicle is right at the limits already. It has the long range tank (~145kg), bullbar (~75kg), 5 people (220kg based on our family of 5 of similar age) and that big box with all bits and pieces (500kg - NFI, just a guess) that puts you at 940kg. Add a good quality towbar which basically leaves a tow ball weight for a trailer of sweet buggar all.

It just isn't set up for it.

Now if you are concerned about having two set-ups for leaving the van, and going remote, I suggest investing in some little tents to throw in the back of a ute/wagon along with a portable stove and some buckets of gear out of the van and go for your life. It worked well really well for us on our big trip, leaving the big van behind to go "old school".

If you love this truck and the company then that's cool. Then I would try and work out how you can squeeze what you want and need into it.

Good luck and well done on at least querying the issue. Others just go for it with no consideration for others, the rules or the consequences.

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
As @Smergen said I think he has covered the bases plus add the 85kg if you fill the water tank that pushes the weight even more, a tow bar generally weighs about 45kg so throw the roof top, loose one spare, don't fill the water tank and get rid of any stuff not needed,in fact throw a lot of knick knack gear and then a camper trailer would probably be the go, something in the 1 ton max range.....
I think we've all had that lovely dream bubble burst, some of us a few times and eventually the sad face comes good again as you see it all without the rose coloured glasses.

In years past with 4 kids we had some great times and all we had were tents, traversed some wild country but then we were a lot younger.......

Hylux

Sep 1, 2017
Newcastle
I had one of these for 10 years and 2 kids, they slept in the second bed. We used swags outside for any extra.

can I also suggest joining forum newhilux.net as huge amount of Hilux info. Eg look up rear seat mod its a must and will give you more storage.

WP_20160105_17_27_58_Pro.jpg
IMG_0438[597].jpg

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
It is a trying time when making such choice's.............. I can only advise to look for something that has a 3.5t tow capacity anything less you will find wanting later on, a 3.5t tow cap really means it will tow 2.8t comfortably and still be legal, especially for big trips, even if your van will only be 2.5 or somethng, I'm not going to go into the why's though just trust me on it...............

Smergen

Jun 8, 2014
Bacchus Marsh
It is a trying time when making such choice's.............. I can only advise to look for something that has a 3.5t tow capacity anything less you will find wanting later on, a 3.5t tow cap really means it will tow 2.8t comfortably and still be legal, especially for big trips, even if your van will only be 2.5 or somethng, I'm not going to go into the why's though just trust me on it...............

Yep... solid advice I reckon.

Bluey

Mar 31, 2014
Australia
I would rather the STX 550 stoped making them in 2014 with a v6 deisal 550nm the one in the pic is a bit under done i think i have the same 2014 outback expanda its near 2.5 tonne empty