Just Browsing Which expanda

shmick

Jan 15, 2020
Meh-lbourne
Hi all,
One of the questions (i tried a quick search, maybe keywords where wrong) I have is what has changed.
We are looking at Outback models of the 16 foot expandas.
2009-2015. I know the suspension changed from 2014, but I'm happy with axle.
So apart from that, are there any major differences I should look out for?
Is it worth spending more for a similar condition 2009 vs 2013?
I like the 2013 due to the external colours, the black, but thats all I can see.
Thanks
Mick

Boots in Action

Mar 13, 2017
Ferny Grove, Queensland
Hi all,
One of the questions (i tried a quick search, maybe keywords where wrong) I have is what has changed.
We are looking at Outback models of the 16 foot expandas.
2009-2015. I know the suspension changed from 2014, but I'm happy with axle.
So apart from that, are there any major differences I should look out for?
Is it worth spending more for a similar condition 2009 vs 2013?
I like the 2013 due to the external colours, the black, but thats all I can see.
Thanks
Mick

Hello @shmick , one very important point to start with is the capacity of your tug to do the towing. Any other decisions are irrelevant if you do not have a capable tow vehicle for whatever van you choose. Before any members can give you any advice, we need to know what you have or intend to have to go safely to and from NQ.

Crusty181

Feb 7, 2010
Mentone, VIC
We had a 2009 16.49.01 OB and was very very happy with it. Over the life of that model run we didnt see much change in a positive way. Over that period my strong opinion was every newer model seemed to have more and more corners cut, with cheaper materials, hardware and overall finish, and i was glad our was an earlier model. The tent section canvas got thinner as an example, our 2009 was sigificantly darker than or current 2014. The 17 ft'er became very popular when they appeared and the masses jumped all over the 17ft models. The popularity of the 17 play contributed to Jayco dropping the 16 all together and that will have to have some +/- bearing on resale down the track. We preferred our 16 over the 17, albiet no bathroom which didnt bother us then .... (it would freaken bother us now tho)

My advice would be roll with an Outback model. Aside from looking way cooler, the tourers are ridiculously low to the ground

Reactions: shmick