18' Series Where do I put diesel or gas heater

millers

Mar 25, 2011
Adelaide
Hi all,

have had a look on the forum and a number of you have diesel heaters and possibly a couple have gas heaters. I would like to install one of these with an option for gas at this time, due to only needing one fuel source, but understand that this needs to be fitted by a gas fitter (gas changes at least).

My big problem is where to fit. I have an 18 ft Expanda Pop-top where the bunks have been transformed to be bench, draws and cupboards. Some of the gas installations (and diesel) use a double tube for the air / exhaust and are limited to 100 cm in length which I think rules out the under table area as it needs to be on the right hand side so as not to exhaust into the annex.

So if you have an 18 ft or have an opinion then let me know.

The layout is:
18 Foot Expanda.png

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
You can fit it on the Annex side of van but to get the exhaust to run to the RH side I used a 45 mm exhaust pipe to extend the original 25mm pipe, cut the 25mm off where it curved from heater and plumbed it into the 45mm, it doesn't get back pressure and flows well, fuel tank on the rear along with pump, all insulated with heater in cupboard under seat, 2 outlets one pointing to front and the other rear.
All diesel heaters will have 2 air intakes and outlets, inside and outside.
On your plan the exhaust for either type should come out in front or behind the wheels on the sink side, front or back not wise due to canvas, you don't want to gas yourselves

Reactions: millers

millers

Mar 25, 2011
Adelaide
Drover thanks for the suggestions will have a look at how that fits with the underneath layout as well.