Wheel Rim Change

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
Started a bit about this on my own thread but thought a general thread would be better.
My 14.44.3 has 15x6JJ 6" rims rated at 1t each, with 195 70 tyres, I want to change them to 7"rims so I can fit a wider tyre and get better selection of load ratings as well as a bit more width, only looking at 225 or 235.
Now my current rims have a -6 offset which is actually 80mm, I have just found a mate who has some ROH 15x7 steel rims which have hardly been used as they were swapped off the vehicle when new, they have an offset which is 110mm, clearance is not a problem as I have run a tape over everything, instead of 80mm clearance of the chassis I'm down to 50mm so thats okay :), stud pattern fits :clap2:, the only thing I can't find is a load rating for the rim, Mr Google has even let me down :(..................I tapped out an email to ROH so I hope they reply, so anything I didn't tick off please let me know, ROH 15 x 7JJ 6 stud steel rims with markings Trak 4 06 04.

I have found another interesting wheel/tyre info page , https://www.rsracing.com/tech-wheel.html to go with www.carbibles.com

Colsar

May 10, 2014
Mornington Peninsula
Only thing I guess u may want to consider is wants on the dreaded compliance plate, if involved in an accident or the powers to be check, which I doubt, where do u stand ?
I believe all the rim, tyre size etc are stamped it @Drover

Last edited:
Reactions: Drover

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
Well that passed my mind briefly but since mine didn't comply originally regarding tyre load rating to axle rating and the weights probably don't either, then if Jayco didn't care I don't either, actually safety is more a concern than some outdated info on a plate.
But you are right it should be considered .
Also the difference between steel and alloy wheels with tyres, weight wise is only 3.5kg not worth worrying about, just pump 7lts of water out of the tank, fixed.

homerJ

Aug 30, 2014
Contact your insurance company and ask would be my thoughts.
In an accident the investigators are generally only interested in what caused the collision and I am yet to meet one that worries about minor non compliance stuff. (You could always get a loonie of course LOL)

Have fun.

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
The insurance and compliance stuff is a given folks, I just basically want to know the load rating.

The van came out with 195 R 15 tyres with a combined load rating of 1800kgs on a 2t rated suspension so didn't comply with the compliance plate originally but if I update to better and safer tyres and rims then a plate change is not a biggy.
A couple of new vans I've looked at recently the tyres didn't comply to rim size anyway, too wide for the rim. Go figure !!!!!!

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
Well ROH aren't in any hurry to answer my query by email but the local tyre bloke was pretty sure they have a 1,000kg loading while the Trek 2 have 1250 kg.

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
Well couldn't get confirmation on the rim load rating so have given them back to my mate and canned the idea until I come across some rims that have the Trak 2 stamp and are at a decent price. Trak 2 have a loading of 1200kg, more than enough.
15 x 7JJ rim with a offset of 80mm or ET -6 , or very close to that as I have room to play around, with a PCB of 139.7mmm thats a Cruiser,Hi Lux 6 stud rim, steel or alloy.
2nd generation tyre rack now on the production line.

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
Just found out the Trak 4 rims are rated at 1120kgs........................so the mod is a goer.

Last edited:

Marv_mart

Jan 3, 2014
Adelaide
Does anyone have the specs for the rims that came on the Panda 14.44-5 OB 2012 model?
Can't seem to find the info on any web site.
How/where do I find this on the wheel if it is stamped anywhere or comp plate??

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
Have a look inside the rim there should be some markings , the rim size ie: 15x6JJand the ET mark shows the offset, on the outside should show the load rate usually as say "1000t"for a 1 ton rim. This is a Jayco Made In Thailand rim, others may have them all on the inside but the base markings should be the same on newer rims older stuff may only have the size noted.

Since differn't rims could be put on the same model always check the ones you have and as can be seen on the other thread compliance plates are not to be trusted.

wheelmarkings.jpg

Marv_mart

Jan 3, 2014
Adelaide
Have a look inside the rim there should be some markings , the rim size ie: 15x6JJand the ET mark shows the offset, on the outside should show the load rate usually as say "1000t"for a 1 ton rim. This is a Jayco Made In Thailand rim, others may have them all on the inside but the base markings should be the same on newer rims older stuff may only have the size noted.

Since differn't rims could be put on the same model always check the ones you have and as can be seen on the other thread compliance plates are not to be trusted.

View attachment 29348
Ok, mine says 15 x 6 1/2 JJ ET 6- on the extra spare I got from the oak bank tyre guy.
Will check my Panda when I next go into the U-Store It to check that the ones that came with the van are the same.
Thnx Marv