What would you change/specify on your order next time?

ROnEM

Mar 13, 2012
Macedon Ranges, Vic
Just thinking what I would change on the order if I had my time again...

As I have had a Weight Distribution Hitch fitted, I would have the jockey wheel clamp welded on the inside of the A-frame/drawbar as the jockey wheel and WDH bar hit! :der:

What would you do/change with a factory order/sign-off?

Cheer's

Ro

Feldty

May 31, 2012
Wangaratta, Vic
If $ were no issue:
I would defiantly have added the following
- Extra power points and 12v points under each of the benches.
- Gas bayonet's.
- Shelves to the Cupboard
- 1 additional external table, 2 in total
- Light above the external shower
- CD / MP3 player and external speakers.

I was certainly aware of the above options (with exception to the 2nd external table... great idea) but $ become an issue in the end. We were so far over budget getting the van we ordered without the addition of the above. The only option that we really should have fitted at factory was the additional power points. The lack of power points will be a huge pain I feel and we may need to add some more in down the track.

I have also found the jockey wheel clashes with the WDH. You can fit the drivers side bar with the jockey wheel fitted and this one basically holds the van in place in order to get the second bar fitted. The jockey wheel on the inside would have been a great idea through.

Kev

zerosecta

Sep 27, 2011
Melbourne
One Thing,,, Make sure they position the outside Light so that it is not covered when the door is open... This is something that makes my blood boil every time I look at it or think about it... I swear if I ever meet the Guy who owns Jayco - I will take up all the time I have with him just to talk about this one thing... :)

Brad

Jan 2, 2012
Rowville, Victoria
I have had exactly that opportunity with our second expanda.

1. Jockey wheel moved for exactly the reason you describe.
2. Extended drawbar. Having bed ends on each end meant that items traveled on the floor in the van. I now have a toolbox that is big enough to contain all the bulky items and we travel floor free.
3. Reviewed placement of powerpoints.
4. Double axle.
5. Review of where the external hatches go. For example, I managed to add an extra hatch under the lounge area. The hatch holds hoses, chords and sullage hoses. In other words, I can open that one hatch that sits below all of the outlet / input points on the side of the van and fit everything I need to the van.
6. Did away with Jayco privacy bed ends and went for a combined privacy / waterproof bed end instead.

Bank of Dad

Jul 20, 2011
Kilmore, VIC
I'd insist on the Battery Switch, Water Pump Switch & Gas Hot Water With being moved away from where they can be accidentally turned on or off. Preferably move to the kitchen under the microwave or air con above the sink behind the small cover.

Burnsy

Mar 26, 2012
Newcastle
In regards to the jockey wheel and WDH, when hooking up with WDH I do the opposite side first that way the jockey wheel is still taking the weight and it's not too hard to lift the bar. Then I remove jockey wheel and do that side, reverse is the opposite......pretty easy that way and you still have to remove/refit jockey wheel anyway even if bracket was inside, my opinion anyway! Pretty much what I wanted to do with our 16' or would change I included in our new one (18') so should do until the kids don't want to go away with the "oldies" anymore! Sometimes it takes owning one to work out what works for you and what you would do different.

Cheers.

relgate

Superstar
Staff member
Feb 2, 2012
Sydney, NSW
I'd want to move the 12 volt and hot water switches. not sure about the second table yet. Maybe they just need to have a big/long table option instead!
Biggest thing for me is a tug with a bigger towing capacity, but I can fix that soon enough