What to Check when collecting a New Expanda?

Holden_man

Aug 21, 2012
Brisbane - Carindale
Hi all,
Had a look at AAJB's recent post about an item to keep an eye on with new pandas, and got me thinking. With our Expanda delivery inching closer, (don't think about that much :frusty:) it would be really helpful if we could get a list for "expecting" members (like us :preggers:) with members views on what to look for when picking up a new Expanda. What problems have members found almost immediately.
First on the List is AAJB's spare wheel mounting bolt, note to self, check for bent:

"If taking deliverly of your new expanda check that the spare wheel retaining bolt isn't bent,Was told this quite common and then they put a shorter bolt in this to fix concern"

Thanks
Jas

Holden_man

Aug 21, 2012
Brisbane - Carindale
sorry guys, apologies if there is a list, I did a quick check before posting but didn't find anything. But if you ask the boss I have been known for having a blokes look. will look again.

cruza driver

Hercules
Staff member
Nov 9, 2010
Mighty Victoria
I just did a quick search and found a couple of threads but nothing that comprehensive so this thread looks like a good place to start with a list of things to check on delivery.

Make sure the HWS works on gas and 240v and get shown how to switch between the two.
Another thing is make sure the coupling has been greased before driving off, mine wasn't so I got them to do it there for me.

Xpandafan

Seriously Likeable!
Aug 24, 2012
Kealba, Victoria
Oh HM. I'd almost forgotten you had a delivery coming up!
Write down your list in any event. I had mine all in my head and it evaporated as soon as I saw the van all set up and ready.
It's just such an exciting time even though we'd been in and out of our van several times before we collected it so maybe got a bit blase.
Take a note book or recorder (or use the one your phone?) and note all switches and taps and what goes on and off, and when (or get your boys to do it for you).
After nearly 30 years of vanning and knowing everything, I didn't listen to handover briefing as intently as I should have and wasted some hours later fiddling with everything.
Not all switches were marked and the first job I did was do some neat Dymo labels for them. :wink:

ROnEM

Mar 13, 2012
Macedon Ranges, Vic
Xpandafan,

Regardless how many notes we take, we are all going to go out and spend hours fiddling with the new Panda and always looking for opportunities to make modifications to make it uniquely our own.

Cheers,

Ro

Xpandafan

Seriously Likeable!
Aug 24, 2012
Kealba, Victoria
Xpandafan,

Regardless how many notes we take, we are all going to go out and spend hours fiddling with the new Panda and always looking for opportunities to make modifications to make it uniquely our own. Cheers,
Ro
Yeah Ro, it just goes on, doesn't it. Called in at Award RV store today for some dual axle ramps and my wife enjoyed browsing. She found a neat cup/mug holder she wants fitted, so both happy. Expanda provides great opportunities for quality time together, even when we're not travelling.

ROnEM

Mar 13, 2012
Macedon Ranges, Vic
Xpandafan - Were you in the area or did you just decide to go for a drive to Ferntree Gully? Long way from home though! You could take the van and make an overnight trip of it.

Brad

Jan 2, 2012
Rowville, Victoria
I think the main one would be to make sure you take your original extras document that you signed off on an tick them off.
After that it comes down to checking workmanship. Remember that these vans fly off the production line and things do get missed.
Test every door, tap, fold out bits, lights. Anything that can move basically.
Check under the van also. Check that everything is secured and routed properly.
And after all that, I bet there will still be something on your list when you bring it in for its first warranty job.

Burnsy

Mar 26, 2012
Newcastle
I feel tempted to jack ours up and check that the wheels spin freely....don't want any over heating coming back home (1100km).

relgate

Superstar
Staff member
Feb 2, 2012
Sydney, NSW
I feel tempted to jack ours up and check that the wheels spin freely....don't want any over heating coming back home (1100km).

Because you're checking the wheel nuts every 100kms you get a chance to feel the brakes, bearings etc. I was worried after some of the overheating that other members have experienced. Luckily all good. How is that pink suspension coming along?

Burnsy

Mar 26, 2012
Newcastle
Because you're checking the wheel nuts every 100kms you get a chance to feel the brakes, bearings etc. I was worried after some of the overheating that other members have experienced. Luckily all good. How is that pink suspension coming along?

Every 100k's sure is allot of stops but better to be safe I guess! Hmm, not sure if I would even ask for pink! :)

Cheers.

Bank of Dad

Jul 20, 2011
Kilmore, VIC
Check that all the extras you paid for are fitted!

Check all power points, HWS, taps, every cupboard and drawer, anything electrical (the factory have been known to fit but not connect!), open the beds out and check they sit properly extended.

The "Quality Gate" at the factory is pretty wide!

relgate

Superstar
Staff member
Feb 2, 2012
Sydney, NSW
Might be worth listing a few of my warranty issues discovered in the first 24 hrs:
Drawbar tap fallen off
Fridge fan not wired correctly
Missing rib in pop top
short/bare wire to water tank sensor
Missing tyre valve cap (the cool green ones)
Wrong mattress for rear bed. Too big
Microwave cabinet screws came apart in one corner
Mains kitchen tap has small leak
pin hole rust point on rear bumper
bathroom door has small gap when closed
Missing/broken push button on privacy screen
Gap along seal behind toilet seat..

apart from that, all good! LOL

seriously, apart from the wrong mattress size which is very inconvenient, most of these issues will be easy fixes at first service (touch wood). Dealer has been great thus far but I am interstate so we'll see how we go.

Still very happy with the van.