What is the extra load carrying (GVM) capacity???

allthedeans

Jul 24, 2011
Hello all

Im new to this forum, so far have been working my way through the threads and have gotten some great info. My family will be buying an expanda in the near future, probably one of the 16.49 models. I have found info on the tare weights but cant seem to find any standard info about how much extra weight can be carried.

I understand that the GVM depends on the tare weight (which is affected by what options I choose) but i really need some sort of ball park figure so I can determine whether this van will be suitable for my family. With 4 kids there is a lot of extra weight just in clothes, toys, food etc.

Towing is not a problem, I have a Patrol with a total towing capacity of 2500kgs.

Otherwise any suggestions on ways to increase the GVM would be greatly appreciated. I will talk to a Jayco Rep soon enough but like to have my research done beforehand.

Thanks in advance
Aaron

Four of us

Apr 27, 2011
Ipswich QLD
Hi Aaron welcome to the forum,

We have on order a 17-56-2 I have asked Jayco the same question and in a nut shell you are able to carry an extra 475kg on top of the tare weight of the van before it's classed as overweight.

Hopes this helps.

allthedeans

Jul 24, 2011
Did Jayco refer to all vans or just your model? I noticed that your van is the double axle version. I wonder if the single axle models have same load capabilities.

Bank of Dad

Jul 20, 2011
Kilmore, VIC
I have been told by industry experts and countless grey nomads, that the rule of thumb is 300kg for a single axle van & 400kg for dual axle. I guess triple axle would be 500kg?

Moto Moto

Forum Moderator
Staff member
Mar 15, 2011
The Gong
Welcome Aaron!

300kg for single axle is correct from the research i did. Not sure about dual axle.

The tare of mine (14 foot model) was about 1500kg. But all single axle models run on a 2000kg axle. After asking the dealer at delivery, i successfully was able to get my GVM uprated by 75kg. So i now have a payload of 375kg, not huge but every bit counts.

With the 16 foot model i think it comes in closer to 1600kg tare so you may struggle to get any more than 300kg payload. Due to the limits of the 2000kg axle. This is my understanding of the single axle models..................hope its right:pray:

Best to ask the dealer.

Good luck

wizzerwazza

Sep 20, 2010
perth, nor
on my 16.49.1ob the compliance plate has 3 values on it
ATM 1753kg
GTM 1603kg
Tare 1453kg
So GTM equals gross trailer mass which is total load allowed including van weight.
So looks like only allowed 150kg of extra load.
have a look at http://www.caravanqld.com.au/media/98248/vin plate definitions.pdf

cheers
wizzer

edit - rereading that attachment it says to take tare away from ATM and this will be your personal load allowance, but it also says to never exceed the GTM. So could be either 150kg or 300kg?????

straydingo

Jul 4, 2011
Melbourne
So could be either 150kg or 300kg?????

No, it's still only 150kg. A 16.49-1OB is a little confusing to use a an example, as it has a ball weight of 150kg and a maximum payload of 150kg.
The difference between ATM and GTM is the ball weight. Tare weight is the actual weight on the tyres as is comes out of the factory (ie if hitched to the tow vehicle). GTM is the Tare plus max payload. ATM is the total standing weight of the van and maximum payload (ie unhitched and on a jockey wheel/stand)

A 17.56-2OB has a ball weight of 175kg
Thus you might find on it's compliance plate
ATM 2132kg (+175kg)
GTM 1957kg (+300kg payload -or so the dealer says) (+400kg if shw model?)
Tare 1657kg

Cheers
Andrew

wizzerwazza

Sep 20, 2010
perth, nor
No, it's still only 150kg. A 16.49-1OB is a little confusing to use a an example, as it has a ball weight of 150kg and a maximum payload of 150kg.
The difference between ATM and GTM is the ball weight. Tare weight is the actual weight on the tyres as is comes out of the factory (ie if hitched to the tow vehicle). GTM is the Tare plus max payload. ATM is the total standing weight of the van and maximum payload (ie unhitched and on a jockey wheel/stand)

ATM 2132kg (+175kg)
Tare 1657kg

Cheers
Andrew

So if its 150kg and you have 90L water, couple cartons of beer and some bottles of wine not much left over for food and clothes LOL

wizzer

chartrock

Forum Patriarch
Staff member
Sep 26, 2010
Gold Coast Hinterland

ATM 2132kg (+175kg)
Tare 1657kg

Cheers
Andrew

Andrew, sorry but I must differ with one of your definitions. The Tare is the total unladen weight of the unit as it leaves the factory i.e. not hooked to a tow vehicle.

A FEW DEFINITIONS

ATM (Aggregate Trailer Mass)
The total laden weight of a trailer, which includes the tow ball mass and whatever you add as payload (eg. water, gas, luggage). The ATM is specified by the trailer manufacturer and must not be exceeded.

GTM (Gross Trailer Mass)
The total permissible mass which includes whatever you add as payload (eg. water, gas and luggage) that can be supported by the wheels of a trailer. This does not include the mass supported by the tow ball. The GTM is specified by the manufacturer and must not be exceeded.

Tare Mass
The unladen weight of the trailer.

Tow Ball Mass
The weight imposed on the rear of the tow vehicle's tow ball from the coupling of a trailer or caravan.

Payload
Payload is specified by the manufacturer. It must not be exceeded under any circumstances. Safety, insurance & warranty may be affected if the specified payload is exceeded.

The Tare mass plus the Payload equals the Aggregate Trailer Mass. Gross Trailer Mass is the weight on the wheels (axle) not including the ball weight.

I hope this clears it up for you, Wizzer.

Paul

straydingo

Jul 4, 2011
Melbourne
Ok - sorry , I stand corrected.:mmph:
Had I read properly the link Wizza provided, it was also stated in that. So yes, disregard my earlier post.

Even so, I agree Wizza, 300kg certainly isn't much when you factor in water and gas, especially if twin water tanks were installed as the salesperson recommended to us! And the 18kg for twin gas. Luckily, I don't drink so don't need to worry about the cartons otherwise the wife and kids might be cold without their extra clothes packed in :)

allthedeans

Jul 24, 2011
Wow, thanks for all the replies. Just finished night shift (ughhhh). Need to read up on this a bit more if my brain will allow it. With food, clothing and misc items for 4 kids things will be very tight indeed.

Im not too fussed about the water tanks. I will probably only fill the drinking water tank and when I arrive at my destination fill the shower tank. But either way I have loads more research to do than I first thought. Ive seen the results of over laden caravans and trailers and do not want to mess with the lives of my family and other road users.

allthedeans

Jul 24, 2011
After speaking to the rep, for the 16.49.3 standard with no changes, the tare is approx 1540kgs. The tow ball mass is about 150kgs. The axle is a 2000kg axle. The rep said the payload capacity inclusive of water and gas and all other items is about 300kgs.

On another note I asked about ways to increase the payload and interestingly the rep advised me that it was in fact the wheel bearings were the weak link in the chain so to speak. So im assuming there are ways to increase the load bearing capacity of the wheel bearings???

Either way I think 300kgs will be suitable for my needs.

wizzerwazza

Sep 20, 2010
perth, nor
Andrew, sorry but I must differ with one of your definitions. The Tare is the total unladen weight of the unit as it leaves the factory i.e. not hooked to a tow vehicle.

A FEW DEFINITIONS

ATM (Aggregate Trailer Mass)
The total laden weight of a trailer, which includes the tow ball mass and whatever you add as payload (eg. water, gas, luggage). The ATM is specified by the trailer manufacturer and must not be exceeded.

GTM (Gross Trailer Mass)
The total permissible mass which includes whatever you add as payload (eg. water, gas and luggage) that can be supported by the wheels of a trailer. This does not include the mass supported by the tow ball. The GTM is specified by the manufacturer and must not be exceeded.

Tare Mass
The unladen weight of the trailer.

Tow Ball Mass
The weight imposed on the rear of the tow vehicle's tow ball from the coupling of a trailer or caravan.

Payload
Payload is specified by the manufacturer. It must not be exceeded under any circumstances. Safety, insurance & warranty may be affected if the specified payload is exceeded.

The Tare mass plus the Payload equals the Aggregate Trailer Mass. Gross Trailer Mass is the weight on the wheels (axle) not including the ball weight.

I hope this clears it up for you, Wizzer.

Paul

Yep i get it...finally. LOL
Anyone know if jayco include the spare wheel in their tare calculations? Just curious.
Also any one know where a weigh bridge is in Northern suburbs of perth? Would be great to get some "real" figures.
cheers
wizzer

achjimmy

Jan 24, 2011
Yep i get it...finally. LOL
Anyone know if jayco include the spare wheel in their tare calculations? Just curious.
Also any one know where a weigh bridge is in Northern suburbs of perth? Would be great to get some "real" figures.
cheers
wizzer

I would imagine the spare is included. Cheapest place to check your weight is the local tip if they are friendly.

straydingo

Jul 4, 2011
Melbourne
As Jim says, if friendly. Otherwise make sure it is a 'public' weighbridge. If weighed on an 'authority' (is it Main Roads over there???) weighbridge, they are obliged to fine if over weight.

The spare would have to be included as it comes out of the factory with it fitted. However, if you fitted a second one somewhere.....

NissPat

Jul 30, 2011
ACT

ATM 2132kg (+175kg)
Tare 1657kg

Cheers
Andrew

Spot on, This is the image I use for reference
ATMdiagram.jpg

you might also find this as a good explanation...there are many sites..

http://www.lets-getaway.com/caravan-complianceplates.htm

straydingo

Jul 4, 2011
Melbourne
I'm working out the same for the car....
Nissan Pathfinder 08 model - Tare = 2282kg
GVM = 2880kg (includes driver, passengers, fuel & luggage)

so: family of 5 = 110kg + 80 + 30 +30 +30 = 280kg
Fuel = 80 litres X 0.85kg/litre = 68kg
Bull bar, winch, etc = 50kg allowed for
total of those three = 398kg

thus tare (2282kg) + above (398kg) = 2680kg
2880kg GVM less 2680kg = 200kg

Nissan's sliding scale = "if vehicle mass below GVM by 200kg, towball download is 200kg"

Van on order = 175kg approx ball weight

If I add another 35kg in luggage, fridge, drawers and anything else including kids growing, the allowable towball download is 175kg

ouch

richard

Jun 9, 2011
Just thought that I would throw this one into the mix for you all.

The following is the stamped weight on my expanda - 16.49.2

ATM - 1842
GTM - 1694
Tare - 1542
Empty Ball Mass - 148

This would leave me with a payload of 300kg as I understand it. (ATM - Tare)

However when I purchased it from interstate we had it deregistered and then reregistered it it NSW. In NSW they told me I had to take it to a local weigh bridge which I did and unhooked it all. I did this with some extra weight in it of course not actually realising what had to be done. So there was some water in the tank and other stuff etc, but not fully loaded

Basically though what it comes down to is that when it was registered it now weighs in with the following and is what is on the rego papers for it:

Tare Weight - 1820
GTM/GVM - 2000

I am guessing this would leave me with a payload of 280kg, (which I would not get close to) but would also be pushing it right to the limit of the 2 tonne single axel.

With the manufacturers ATM, then I only have another 22kg that I can load into the van. That would be extremely difficult with 2 adults and 4 kids.

I am also wondering then if anyone has actually gone over a weigh bridge when their van was loaded to see what it actually weighed and if anyone is actually keeping with the ATM weights of their vans?

Please correct me if I have made any mistakes in the above as after reading through all of this I am a bit confused.