16' Series What is needed on vehicle to tow?

shadow75

Aug 25, 2011
Sale, Victoria, Australia
G'day all..

Not sure how it compares, but the Prado Kakadu has self levelling suspension. When you hitch up, the height of the vehicle doesn't change. Air compressor kicks in and keeps it level. Vehicle tows well.

What does this have to do with WDH'S? I asked Hayman Reece recently at the Caravan Show in Melbourne if a WDH should be used or not. There answer was no it should not be fitted to vehicles with self levelling suspension..

I'm not sure what the outcome would be fitting to a car with self levelling suspension - an interesting experiment.

Good luck with the choice and decisions!!

Mike7

Nov 10, 2011
Hi,

I've got air suspension on my Disco 4 and the manual specifically says not to use a WDH, same advice given to me my Haymen Reese.

I believe the air suspension and WDH basically work against each other. I had a WDH in my Prado 150 ( which the Toyota rep said I should NOT be using with the Prado as its not designed for it??????) and it did level the car but what a pain to use. A WDH puts a pretty big strain on the tow Ball/hitch assembly when going over undulating ground, gutters etc. The Haymen Reese WDH I had specifically recommended removing it over uneven surfaces and going over gutters etc.

But it does put more weight over the front wheels to improve steering and braking etc.

Just my 2c worth.

Cheers
Mike

crystal674

Jun 17, 2011
Benaraby Qld
We have self-leveling suspension as well as active height control and adaptive variable suspension on the Lexus.

The towing capacity is 3500kg with 350kg towball.

In the owners manual it states to use wdh when towing caravans.

We run airbags as well as hayman reece wdh with great results.

The airbags were added to compensate for the Black Widow draw system, Engle on slide and Thumper battery system in the back.

Can't fault the combo and still have full use of the suspension height adjustment.

Crystalyn

Burnsy

Mar 26, 2012
Newcastle
I use WDH on my NT pajero with no bags and works well, not saying bags are no good or anything! Cheers.

straydingo

Jul 4, 2011
Melbourne
A point of clarification on the repost of my earlier comments.
That particular post was relevant to aftermarket airbags as an 'either/or' situation, and specifically installing airbags so that the WDH could be eliminated. For airbags installed standard on the vehicle when purchased, go by the manufacturer's recommendations, not my 2c.

Secondly, I don't think there is any 'legal' requirement in any situation to use a WDH. It is to the choice of the driver/s as to whether they need it or not. Personally, I think mine responds that little bit better with it, but I have certainly towed without a WDH and had no issues. Even when ordering the van, the dealer said it didn't really matter either way. If your tow vehicle is comfortable to drive without a WDH, and is responsive with steering and braking, then there is no reason to feel pressured to have a WDH.