What do I do about the step?

busybusymum

Oct 23, 2011
Albury/Wodonga
We had our fist trip over Easter - fantastic time. We camped near a creek so the land sloped down from side to side and we levelled it out with levellers - but having an OB with simplicity suspension - made it very high on the awning side - especially near the step and Alko jack near the boot door (awning side) For the alko jack we extended it out as far as it would go and it would still not reach the ground so we had to put 2 bits of 4X2 under it. In relation to the step we took along an extra little kiddies step to help them get in the van - however it was still quite a challenge as you can see from the photos (5 year old trying to access van). I was going to buy a good quality metal step from Jayco 200mm high and nice large step base (about $70) but this would have been a waste of money for our Easter trip - no better than the kiddy step we took - so at this stage I'm glad I did not get it. Does anyone have or has anyone seen an extendable step that could accomodate our problem. Each time we camp we are going to have different heights to step up to so some sort of adjustable step would be good. You can also see that our fold out table was also up quite high - which in a way was good as our 3 year old could get no-where near our cooker
2006_03142012Easter0072.JPG 2006_03142012Easter0076.JPG 2006_03142012Easter0077.JPG

Burnsy

Mar 26, 2012
Newcastle
That's one giant step for mankind....hehe sorry bout that, I recon if possible pick a more level site otherwise it maybe a custom type of step. Something with telescopic legs with holes for a pin for example but I can't say I've seen anything like that from retailers! Cheers.

Burnsy

Mar 26, 2012
Newcastle
If your thinking of custom a steel fabricator should be able to make one up for you, if you were closer I could make one for you. Hope that helps. Cheers Burnsy.

benandjordansmum

Feb 8, 2012
Logan Village, Qld
We had a bit of an issue with a slope when we headed out for our first trip last weekend. My hubby dug our wheel into the ground on the side to make us more level, along with letting a bit of air out of the tyre. I supposed it depends on where you are as to whether you can do this...just needed to put a bit of air back into the tyre with the air compressor and refill the hole when you leave. Worked a treat for us.

I also vaguely remember seeing a thread on here the other day from someone that added an extra tread to their step, but can't seem to find it now.

bully66672

Jun 30, 2011
Melbourne
You can buy a collapsible step from your caravan store or off eBay.
They fold down for easy storage and are nice and easy to use.

Feb 1, 2012
A little off topic but does the simplicity suspension raise the overall height of the van compared to the standard setup?

Feb 1, 2012
Thanks for that, that will still be good for my set up. I have 50mm lift in the Prado and with the swan it sits perfectly level when in tow, so the 40mm extra will be good on the Expanda.

busybusymum

Oct 23, 2011
Albury/Wodonga
We had something like this on the outback Hawk - I'm surprised that the outback expandas dont come with something similar. On the Hawk they were very heavy and bulky - the expanda step is much lighter. I am trying to find soething that we can use as a step for the van but can also double as a step for reaching areas during pack up and set up that we dont want to use the ladder for.