20' Series Weight Distribution Bars

roika11

Jun 14, 2021
Mandurah
I have ordered a 20'Jayco Expanda OB Caravan from Jayco who advise it will be ex factory late July 21. My Tow vehicle is a Ford Ranger Wildtrak with 2.0L bi-Turbo. I have limited time to prepare the van ready to head North in August and I am seeking feedback from anyone with a similar set up as to whether I will need to fit weight distribution bars?

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
If your Ranger has stock suspension more than likely you will need them....It all depends on what things will weigh when it's loaded, don't rely on the compliance plate info other ATM and GTM the rest will be false. Look at the info on how to set up a WDH online to get some idea on the why...no 2 rigs will be the same.

Mick

Mar 15, 2014
Victoria
I have a 2015 Ranger XLT 3.2L standard suspension with 2017 Journey OB no weight distribution hitch I was told it wasn't needed as it would affect the Rangers sway control.
it doesn't sag sits level.
I have read on line at different forums the same thing it would affect the braking in an emergence.
I have also read it can be turned on and off under driver assist.
other forums say it wont have any affect i would check with the manufacturer of the hitch and Ford to see if its suitable.

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
Have a read of these articles they cover the subject way better than any Forum chat. The main thing is the van must be hitched up so that its level, no droop at the back or sag at the front and with or without WDH the loading must be right and thats why your rig may differ from others, like tyre pressures the other fellas set up while looking identical may not be any good for yours..........
I was under the impression that a WDH keeping the steer loaded would actually assist any vehicle anti sway, lighter front end and the computer putting a brake on could be scary, as for a vehicle anti sway having any effect on a 3t van dragging behind, well the jury is still out, if it picks it up early, yep but getting a swaying van under control to me has always needed the van brakes applied as with an ESC system, if no ESC then hit the van brakes on and tramp the accelerator at the same time, the drag and pull normally pulls the sway out unless you going down a big hill then it's 10 hail mary's.....

millers

Mar 25, 2011
Adelaide
As above, it will vary on load balance in the car. For the utes more consideration is required as to whether a load is required in the back to help balance the car. WDH transfer weight from the back wheels to the front by applying rotational force (twist) to the back. The effect is to lift the back and lower the front. If you believe that the car is balanced with 300 kg (tow ball weight) then levelling the car can be done by other means (if required).

Looking at the extremes, Peter Wherrett (showing my age) once showed that using a WDH on a front wheel drive was able to remove the rear wheels if you crank it up. Not saying this is needed, but illustrated that it does not just lift the back it actually transfers weight to the front. The other extreme is when the front suspension is way too high and the steering is very light (again showing my age as this was a common thing when cars did not have tow limits).

With the BT-50 and the 18ft Expanda I still use WDH and I have no problems. For the Pathfinder and the 18ft Expanda I used both air bags and WDH.

The physics can not be changed, if you place weight after the rear wheels the downward force places an equal upward force in front of the rear wheels. The decision required is does this change the balance of the car (or does the bullbar, and other equipment balance it out. (Note that the physics applies if you have a lift, heavy duty suspension, air bags).

If you have limited time for setup, you could try and pickup a 2nd hand WDH and carry it with you. If you find the front of the car seems light, then put on the WDH and try some different settings.

It will come down to how the car handles for you, The BT-50 with the 18 Expanda is very stable, minimal swaying and bounce.

chartrock

Forum Patriarch
Staff member
Sep 26, 2010
Gold Coast Hinterland
I agree with @millers, I have a BT50 with an 18’ Journey and I use the WDH when travelling. If only a short distance, the I will run without it. The truck sits nicely with the bars on and has been no problem towing to SA peninsulas and Wilpena Pound as well as North Queensland with bars.

Reactions: roika11

roika11

Jun 14, 2021
Mandurah
I have a 2015 Ranger XLT 3.2L standard suspension with 2017 Journey OB no weight distribution hitch I was told it wasn't needed as it would affect the Rangers sway control.
it doesn't sag sits level.
I have read on line at different forums the same thing it would affect the braking in an emergence.
I have also read it can be turned on and off under driver assist.
other forums say it wont have any affect i would check with the manufacturer of the hitch and Ford to see if its suitable.
Good feedback, thanks

Reactions: Mick

roika11

Jun 14, 2021
Mandurah
Have a read of these articles they cover the subject way better than any Forum chat. The main thing is the van must be hitched up so that its level, no droop at the back or sag at the front and with or without WDH the loading must be right and thats why your rig may differ from others, like tyre pressures the other fellas set up while looking identical may not be any good for yours..........
I was under the impression that a WDH keeping the steer loaded would actually assist any vehicle anti sway, lighter front end and the computer putting a brake on could be scary, as for a vehicle anti sway having any effect on a 3t van dragging behind, well the jury is still out, if it picks it up early, yep but getting a swaying van under control to me has always needed the van brakes applied as with an ESC system, if no ESC then hit the van brakes on and tramp the accelerator at the same time, the drag and pull normally pulls the sway out unless you going down a big hill then it's 10 hail mary's.....

Lots of good info there, thanks. Seems like it is a matter of hook it up and take the measurement.

roika11

Jun 14, 2021
Mandurah
As above, it will vary on load balance in the car. For the utes more consideration is required as to whether a load is required in the back to help balance the car. WDH transfer weight from the back wheels to the front by applying rotational force (twist) to the back. The effect is to lift the back and lower the front. If you believe that the car is balanced with 300 kg (tow ball weight) then levelling the car can be done by other means (if required).

Looking at the extremes, Peter Wherrett (showing my age) once showed that using a WDH on a front wheel drive was able to remove the rear wheels if you crank it up. Not saying this is needed, but illustrated that it does not just lift the back it actually transfers weight to the front. The other extreme is when the front suspension is way too high and the steering is very light (again showing my age as this was a common thing when cars did not have tow limits).

With the BT-50 and the 18ft Expanda I still use WDH and I have no problems. For the Pathfinder and the 18ft Expanda I used both air bags and WDH.

The physics can not be changed, if you place weight after the rear wheels the downward force places an equal upward force in front of the rear wheels. The decision required is does this change the balance of the car (or does the bullbar, and other equipment balance it out. (Note that the physics applies if you have a lift, heavy duty suspension, air bags).

If you have limited time for setup, you could try and pickup a 2nd hand WDH and carry it with you. If you find the front of the car seems light, then put on the WDH and try some different settings.

It will come down to how the car handles for you, The BT-50 with the 18 Expanda is very stable, minimal swaying and bounce.
Agee, I need to get one and see how the setup performs, Just another thing on the ever growing mountain of gear to be carried.

Mick

Mar 15, 2014
Victoria

Thanks Drover only wish I had this information back then instead of try to find information back in 2015
I am still not using any weight distribution and still no problems also as Drover said each set up is different

Reactions: Drover

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
I prefer to set up with no WDH thought I had a winner with the Colorado but the suspension upgrade threw a curly one, a steel bar and winch would have fixed the drama I'm sure, on the Jeep the new suspension and self adjusting rear shocks does keep the whole thing level but it can get a bit wishy on the front on the odd occassion plus it does take a bit of load of the thousand dollar shockies................. If I could get the tow ball weight down to about 220kg they would stay in the shed I'm sure.