Weigh Bridge Confussion

Mosue

Oct 14, 2016
Perth WA
Can anyone help me out? I still get confused with weights.
Ive a Prado 120 GXL KDJ. & a Jayco OB Expanda 16.49.3HL. I was fully loaded with diesel and everything for a week bush camping inc 180l water in the van. I went over a weighbridge to get some numbers. this is what came back-
car-2600kg
caravan 2160kg
Hitched-car 2800kg,caravan 1960kg
tow ball 200kg

On my Expanda plate, it says-
ATM 2001kg
GTM1845kgTare 1626kg
Empty Ball Mass 156Kg
Axle/Axle group load Capacity 2000kg (i'm a single axle)

My 120 Prado
has a tow capacity of 2500kg
Max Ball weight 250kg

Can someone please help me understand if I'm overloaded? and what payload I I can have?.... I can leave the wife at home, but am not willing to sacrifice the beer to save weight!!!

Reactions: Drover

Bellbirdweb

Jan 24, 2014
Sydney
Your ATM (aggregate trailer mass) is the total allowable weight of the caravan and its contents. As your stamped ATM=2001kg, and your measured ATM=2160, you appear to be over your allowable weight by 159kg

Mosue

Oct 14, 2016
Perth WA
Your ATM (aggregate trailer mass) is the total allowable weight of the caravan and its contents. As your stamped ATM=2001kg, and your measured ATM=2160, you appear to be over your allowable weight by 159kg
Thanks for that!- I see people get the ATM increased. Do you know how I go about looking into that? Straight to Jayco?

bigcol

Nov 22, 2012
Swan Valley Perth
dont worry about "Axle Mass" & "empty ball mass" thats misleading and confusing

you Van is under the maximum you can tow (2500kgs)
however
your Van has been over loaded for its legality (2001kg legal = yours 2160kgs)
- your max towing is 2500kgs, which you are under
however
your Van can only be a max of 2001kg, so you are over
same same with axle loading
Axle/Axle group load Capacity 2000kg

you cannot go OVER 2001Kgs total weight for your Van

I would be looking seriously about what you are loading into the Van - and HOW

maybe think about the chairs & extra outside table you have - get lighter ones
think about the full set of pots & pans you carry - maybe cull a few
think about the bedding you are carrying - maybe some lighter weight gear
think about the fine dinning ware your eating off while camping - maybe plastic disposable ones
think about the food stuffs you are carrying - canned meals are good (baked beans ect) but weigh a lot

there are 2 ways I have employed over the years for whats in my Van (and I am probably over weight as well - fat bugger I am)

weight EVERYTHING going into the Van - you have 375kgs to carry (ATM - 2001kg - Tare - 1626kg = 375kgs
and / or
put a sticker dot on everything going into the Van, if its not used in 2 trips remover from Van

carrying tennis rackets & balls, foot ball, soccer ball, net ball, golfing clubs, badminton set, kids slide, as well as 4 weeks worth of clothes for 1 week trip, 16 spare blankets (just in case) full dinner service for 12 people may not be the ideal thing

bigcol

Nov 22, 2012
Swan Valley Perth
I see people get the ATM increased. Do you know how I go about looking into that? Straight to Jayco?

you need to upgrade the Axle group, as well as the brakes, and get certificates from the Various original supplier of the new parts
unfortunately, I dont think Caravanland will help you

you my need to see someone who does it in WA
PDA in Maddington may help
of the mob in Wangarra

Mosue

Oct 14, 2016
Perth WA
dont worry about "Axle Mass" & "empty ball mass" thats misleading and confusing

you Van is under the maximum you can tow (2500kgs)
however
your Van has been over loaded for its legality (2001kg legal = yours 2160kgs)
- your max towing is 2500kgs, which you are under
however
your Van can only be a max of 2001kg, so you are over
same same with axle loading
Axle/Axle group load Capacity 2000kg

you cannot go OVER 2001Kgs total weight for your Van

I would be looking seriously about what you are loading into the Van - and HOW

maybe think about the chairs & extra outside table you have - get lighter ones
think about the full set of pots & pans you carry - maybe cull a few
think about the bedding you are carrying - maybe some lighter weight gear
think about the fine dinning ware your eating off while camping - maybe plastic disposable ones
think about the food stuffs you are carrying - canned meals are good (baked beans ect) but weigh a lot

there are 2 ways I have employed over the years for whats in my Van (and I am probably over weight as well - fat bugger I am)

weight EVERYTHING going into the Van - you have 375kgs to carry (ATM - 2001kg - Tare - 1626kg = 375kgs
and / or
put a sticker dot on everything going into the Van, if its not used in 2 trips remover from Van

carrying tennis rackets & balls, foot ball, soccer ball, net ball, golfing clubs, badminton set, kids slide, as well as 4 weeks worth of clothes for 1 week trip, 16 spare blankets (just in case) full dinner service for 12 people may not be the ideal thing
There only me and the missus, I'm going to take out the double mattress as we don't use it & and sometimes don't even bother to lower that end! I'll look at removing a gas bottle. I can't get rid of the two engels as one is for my beer!
Your right about clothing I always take more tees than there are days we're away, and most don't get worn.
Thanks for the feedback, got to get started as fly back offshore in a few days. Then when I return. We are straight off to Karajini & Exmouth. I don't want to be overweight ( the van.. me it's too late!)

Reactions: bigcol

Smirke

May 9, 2014
Palmyra, WA
Can I ask where you took it to get weighed, and how much it was?
Always been meaning to do ours, but just never done it.

achjimmy

Jan 24, 2011
16:49-3s are heavy especially if you have a few options. As above your your axle set doesn't cut it. Is it a leaf sprung or jtech suspended model. With leaf spring model you could get another axle spribgs etc then try and rerate it? Iirc there was a sandgroper on here years ago had a 16:49 re engineered to 3t? But it'd be hardly worth it, easy just to lose the 200kg of crap

Reactions: bigcol and dagree

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
also check your tyre load rating they will need to be at least a rating of 114 to cover the weight, over 2 ton requires a breakaway fitted as well. I don't know about upgrading the brakes, there's only 2 types 10" and 12" and an OB usually has 12's I think anyway.

Bushman

Forum Moderator
Staff member
Nov 9, 2010
Wollondilly Shire NSW
You also have to remember you can't exceed the Prado's GCM (gross combined mass), that's tug and van together.
Though I'm not sure what that is for the Prado.

chartrock

Forum Patriarch
Staff member
Sep 26, 2010
Gold Coast Hinterland
also check your tyre load rating they will need to be at least a rating of 114 to cover the weight, over 2 ton requires a breakaway fitted as well. I don't know about upgrading the brakes, there's only 2 types 10" and 12" and an OB usually has 12's I think anyway.
Our OB Journey only has 10" brakes.

dagree

Mar 3, 2012
Perth. WA
You also have to remember you can't exceed the Prado's GCM (gross combined mass), that's tug and van together.
Though I'm not sure what that is for the Prado.
The Prado's GCM is 5,400KG's.
GVM is 2,900KG's. (No need to leave the wife at home...... Or you could load more beer ;) )

Unfortunately @Mosue , as stated above by others, your van itself is over the "allowable" ATM as it is!