14' Series Water works

beecee

Feb 10, 2013
Canberra
Hi everyone,

We took our new 14.44.5 away for the weekend and I gotta say I don't understand the waterworks. I cant find it in the manual either. We stayed in a park and arrived with some water in the van tanks. I also connected the hose at the park and assumed that we would be using park - hose water. Every time we turned on a tap the 12v water pump engaged and we were clearly using our own water. At one stage I had to top it up - even though the hose was connected with good pressure. So; is there a switch or a tap that I use to choose between my tank water and park hose water? And if there isn't, how do I tell it use the park water first? Thanks; I'm confident you'll solve this one for me.

Rose

Oct 27, 2013
Hi everyone,

We took our new 14.44.5 away for the weekend and I gotta say I don't understand the waterworks. I cant find it in the manual either. We stayed in a park and arrived with some water in the van tanks. I also connected the hose at the park and assumed that we would be using park - hose water. Every time we turned on a tap the 12v water pump engaged and we were clearly using our own water. At one stage I had to top it up - even though the hose was connected with good pressure. So; is there a switch or a tap that I use to choose between my tank water and park hose water? And if there isn't, how do I tell it use the park water first? Thanks; I'm confident you'll solve this one for me.
We did the same across the Nullabor and the instruction book is no help whatsoever. The answer was to turn the 12v pump off when using park water

beecee

Feb 10, 2013
Canberra
We did the same across the Nullabor and the instruction book is no help whatsoever. The answer was to turn the 12v pump off when using park water
Thank you Rose. Next to the fuse there are 2 switches mounted vertically. The top switch is labelled 'battery'. So I take it that the bottom switch is the 12v pump? Is that how yours works? It would be nice to have some of this in a manual. It sure wasn't covered on collection of the van.

Rose

Oct 27, 2013
Thank you Rose. Next to the fuse there are 2 switches mounted vertically. The top switch is labelled 'battery'. So I take it that the bottom switch is the 12v pump? Is that how yours works? It would be nice to have some of this in a manual. It sure wasn't covered on collection of the van.
Yes the switch not labelled battery is the pump. We had a 2hour tutorial when we picked our van up and were shown what to do. BUT nothing was in writing. Why don't the dealers give out printed sheets

beecee

Feb 10, 2013
Canberra
Brilliant thank you; I'll try it out next weekend. I do actually remember being told that the 2 switches had no function at all because we didn't have a battery installed. We bought off the showroom floor and intend to have a battery installed at the first service - so at the moment is 240v into the setec or nothing. I certainly agree with you that every van sold should have basic instructions covering power, water and gas that are unique to the model. It can't be that hard!

chartrock

Forum Patriarch
Staff member
Sep 26, 2010
Gold Coast Hinterland
@Rose has covered it for you @beecee . The unlabelled switch is the pump switch and, with 240V connected, the Setek power supply will be putting 12V out powering your lights which are 12V, and also the pump. Switching the pump off allows mains pressure to take over and leave your tanks alone.

If you have two tanks you may also have problems finding the tap that switches between the tanks.

Welcome to the forum and keep us posted on your upgrades and trips.

beecee

Feb 10, 2013
Canberra
Thanks everyone. That clears it up nicely. I love my Jayco (my second) and I don't want to be critical - but if they can label the top switch at the factory; surely it shouldn't be too hard to label the bottom one also - especially if its not in a manual. Cheers

millers

Mar 25, 2011
Adelaide
Hi @beecee have you been able to check that the van works when connected to mains only. The reason I ask is that we have set up the van in a park and left the 12V switch on for the pump. As the presure in the park is higher than the 12V pump presure it will not trigger the presure switch for the 12V pump. So if you have not already it would be a good idea to check if the hose connection works with the 12V pump turned off. If I recall correctly some members here have found the non-return valve installed the wrong way round, meaning that the hose does not work.

Hope that this helps

Cheers
Steve

beecee

Feb 10, 2013
Canberra
Hi @beecee have you been able to check that the van works when connected to mains only. The reason I ask is that we have set up the van in a park and left the 12V switch on for the pump. As the presure in the park is higher than the 12V pump presure it will not trigger the presure switch for the 12V pump. So if you have not already it would be a good idea to check if the hose connection works with the 12V pump turned off. If I recall correctly some members here have found the non-return valve installed the wrong way round, meaning that the hose does not work.

Hope that this helps

Cheers
Steve
Hi Steve, I have just checked thank you. When the pump switch is off - and with a hose connected with good (but not excessive) pressure - there is no water flow at any tap. So, is an incorrectly installed or failed pressure switch the likely cause? Any other possible causes in a new van?
Where would we be without this website!!

beecee

Feb 10, 2013
Canberra
Hi again, I'm still struggling to fully understand how the water works on my 2012 14.44.5. There are 2 water tanks. I know that I have to fill them separately (filling one does not fill the other). My questions are: what is the capacity of each tank; do they draw from both equally; is there a tap that I can control which tank is drawn from; does the HWS draw from only one tank; if I drain one using the screw cap will it drain both? I still need to get a fix under warranty because I get no water at all from the hose when the 12v is switched off - but anwers to the other questions would be really helpful before we go away at Christmas. I just wish there was a simple explanation in a manual - I think its important to know. Thanks to all.

Capt. Gadget

Obsessive & Compulsive Gadget Man
Dec 1, 2011
Busselton W.A.
bbmwa.com.au
I had an issue with my tempering valve where I had driven quite a long way with the pump switch on ,I can't be sure but it seems that pressure had built up behind the valve and wouldn't let the water through when connected to the mains , I undid the valve and then re-connected it and everything worked fine also had another issue where the hot water would stop running when using the tanks that one turned out to be a non return valve fitted in the wrong place tanks are 84 litres I think and there is a tap under the van that you can select either using 1 tank or the other or both I've always left mine on both that way it draws from both tanks evenly better for balance of the van when travelling

jed

May 16, 2013
Hi, where do I find the tempering valve? If its simple fix, I'm happy to just do it myself.

Hi beecee we also have the 14.44.5 and the only time we use the pump is either free camping or flushing the loo cause the loo only uses the tank water which is a bit of a PITA ,we keep the pump switch turned off unless flushing other than that all taps run off mains . We have the two tanks and if you look under the caravan opposite of the door side you will see a valve in front of the front tank with an arrow on it ,if it's pointing up it means your running off both tanks if pointed forward your running off front tank or if pointed towards back tank it takes water from there ,I turned our valve towards the back and emptied the front tank only because it is a bit heaven on the ball weight . Hope this helps you out mate
Cheers

Capt. Gadget

Obsessive & Compulsive Gadget Man
Dec 1, 2011
Busselton W.A.
bbmwa.com.au
Its a Tee shaped brass valve under the van that should have a red pipe (hot) and a white pipe (cold) going into it and then a ??Black one I think coming out I just disconnected the Black one then put it back on, but now that I think about it it may have been just the Hot water that wasn't coming out but cold water was sorry don't know if I've been much help

beecee

Feb 10, 2013
Canberra
Thanks guys I found the little black valve with arrows and it now makes sense. It does a full 360 degrees so possibly down is also both tanks. Anyway I have left it pointing up which I'm confident is both tanks. I agree that for travel leaving the front tank empty which is well forward of the axle would be smart. With both tanks full I've got 210 kg on the ball according to the ball-weight measurer from Repco. Its much more than I expected but luckily does not matter too much with a Jeep rated well above this. Makes you wonder what any use or guide a tare weight of 147kg is?

chartrock

Forum Patriarch
Staff member
Sep 26, 2010
Gold Coast Hinterland
Thanks guys I found the little black valve with arrows and it now makes sense. It does a full 360 degrees so possibly down is also both tanks. Anyway I have left it pointing up which I'm confident is both tanks.

Hi @beecee, I hope these diagrams will show you why "down" will give you no water.
pump switch.jpg

Reactions: Pace

beecee

Feb 10, 2013
Canberra
Bing - another question! I have now been told that the toilet must have water in the rear tank to flush and cannot use water from a hose connection or the front tank. What about the HWS. Does it only use water from the front tank, or does it use it from the tank or tanks that I select? Will a hose connection service the HWS? Thanks

Bushman

Forum Moderator
Staff member
Nov 9, 2010
Wollondilly Shire NSW
Makes you wonder what any use or guide a tare weight of 147kg is?

After checkin my vans ball weights recently, I'm of the belief that Jayco actually take their tare ball weights prior to adding the spare tyre and gas bottle to the A-frame, which in my opinion is wrong.
I recently (Friday) emailed them to enquire if this is the case, awaiting a reply'

A friend of mine recently picked up a new 19'6 dual axle full height van deal had the dealer check the ball weight it match the compliance plate spot on at 120 kg, thats 30 kg lighter than my plate weight for a single axle 16-49-3, granted dual axle vans do share the weight better depending on axle location.

guess this is why they say specs should only be taken as a guide only, which doesn't help if your looking at a specific van to suit your tow vehicles requirments