Starcraft Water tanks

Gocats

Feb 16, 2016
Colac
Some advice please, have just purchased our first van with hot water (2015 Star craft) and not sure if proir to storage do I empty the water tanks and the hot water tank.
Mark

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
If it's a new van I would give the tanks a couple of flushes while you have it wrapped up, just to get any residual out, using drains and the taps, otherwise I think it doesn't really matter if the tanks are full or empty so long as you've had good water in them. Depending on your water, it may be advisable to drain your HWS, (always make sure you turn the power off to the HWS when you finish using it, saves problems later on), if its good water then leave it alone. Mine usually has rain water in it and I just leave it as it is from my house water tanks and it sits there for 6 mths or more and is good, van tanks gets circulated more often actually.

My rig gets used about 9 mths a year so my anode last's for 2 yrs or more so if you have it parked up for months at a time, check your anode (in HWS, do a search) at least every 6 mths as lack of use and dodgy town water will eat them inshort time.

Dobbie

Jun 18, 2014
I'd keep them filled...it keeps the green stuff out as it can't grow easily without oxygen.

At least, we've done that for years and it works for us.

If doubtful, give the tanks a flush out with bicarbonate and then rinse and fill.

Sammy D

Feb 14, 2016
Quirindi
I'll give you a look in my house tanks @Dobbie , mostly full, no sunlight and it's not pretty.....haven't died these last 20 yrs so must be okay..................it;s the frogs that are a worry.
Yes frogs and water tanks brings back a bad memory of mine, our lovely rainwater had an interesting flavour for about a month and I couldn't quite pick what it was until the inlaws were visiting and complained about the water flow so I went out to the tank to check the mesh filter (a rough inline filter we have at the bottom of the tank, it has a tendency to block when the tank gets low with leaves ect) and found it completely blocked with 3 or 4 decomposing frog frames:o.

I never did tell the inlaws why our lovely tank water tasted funny and just the thought of how many litres of frog goop I had drank was enough to make me sick.

Sorry to get off topic.

To get back on topic, does anyone ever use any additives in their water tanks? Are there chlorine pills you could use if using questionable water or just to give them a debugging rinse occasionally?

Reactions: dagree

Dobbie

Jun 18, 2014
I'm sure I relayed the details about our snake!

If not then I won't....suffice to say it was not a pleasant experience.

Off topic???

Reactions: Drover and dagree

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
Most of the van shops have stuff to put in your tanks to clean them up but haven't come across any purifying stuff, I know the tabs to put in water bottles to sterilize before drinking are vile.

Dobbie

Jun 18, 2014
We've been using bicarbonate in home water tanks for years. Just throw a packet in whoever we think we need in and try to monitor quality with the probe tester.

And do the same with the van water but I don't know if it actually cleans the tank ....it takes away the plastic taste and stops the algae growth.

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
We sort of do the same @Dobbie, fill from the bore, Spa water and need to leave it for the gas to bubble out, kills everything, frogs, bugs does a good job as I let it overflow and check the yard. Think its CO2 or maybe a BiCarb that does it.

Thats what I used for the homebrew bottles so would be good for the tanks, killing the nasties for sure....forgot all about it.....conversation is a wonderfull thing.