Water tanks when in storage

Matty4

Mar 18, 2011
Wandin North, Vic
Oh dear................mine haven't had water in them for several months.
May have to flush them a couple of times first.

Capt. Gadget

Obsessive & Compulsive Gadget Man
Dec 1, 2011
Busselton W.A.
bbmwa.com.au
I always leave water in mine then drain them and refill before going away have done this for years with the camper trailer and had no problems , It's like rain water tanks as long as no light can get in there nothing will grow.....I think!

Tuco

Jul 16, 2012
I reckon if you left the tanks mt in tropical climates stuff would gro in the tanks like wildfire cold dunno !!

Hey BP - algae can only grow in the presence of light. The temperature and humidity have no bearing on the subject.
Unfortunately it seems that Jayco are continuing to persist in using clear hoses on the fill, drain and vent lines. If you go to the trouble of either replacing the clear with black, or lagging them, or completely painting them black - then algae will be a thing of the past.

The old galvanised tanks used in remote areas for household water storage, never had algae problems.

Feldty

May 31, 2012
Wangaratta, Vic
For what it is worth, I picked up my new van yesterday and the dealer suggest to always drain the tanks upon return from a trip. I am not sold on this idea, and would be concearned that I would turn up to a camp ground to find I had forgotten to fill the tanks. My preference will be to fill the tanks with clean (possibly filtered) water upon return and use the van as much as possible turning the water over in the tanks.

leesy

Jul 26, 2012
Lysterfield
Would keeping them full particulary when the van is new help any plastic taste leaching out be more readily absorbed? then drain and fill with fresh new water for your trip? I know they are supposed to be food grade but you do get a plastic taste when you fill up the first couple of times?
Paul

brookes2622

Jun 24, 2012
Bywong NSW
I found a couple of products that may be of interest to this thread.

http://www.bcf.com.au/online-store/...0g.aspx?pid=203602&menuFrom=10210#Description

and

http://www.bcf.com.au/online-store/...ml.aspx?pid=167690&menuFrom=10210#Description

Thinking is that even if the water is a bit tainted or if there is concern then there is help relatively cheaply. I suspect a reasonable option if you are putting your van in storage for a long period, you won the lotto and your overseas for a year, then you could treat the water and fill it. Other thing is if you fill one tank with vodka and can't finish it you have the means to rinse and flush it out, not that I would but if there is a clean up option ... interesting.