18' Series Water Tank Valve

MikeC

Aug 29, 2017
Adelaide
Greetings one and all. Whilst in the process of changing the anode and heating element in my van today I noticed there is a valve in the water supply line from the tanks. I don't remember coming across any information in the Jayco "paperwork" about what it is for. It seems to connect the two tanks into the water supply for the van and I assume, because it has an arrow on it, that you can select front, rear or both tanks but that is only a guess. Has anybody actually worked out what it does? Does the arrow mean what I think it does? Any opinions, funny or fair will be appreciated. Cheers Mike.
Water Valve_1.jpg

chartrock

Forum Patriarch
Staff member
Sep 26, 2010
Gold Coast Hinterland
You are right @MikeC , it is a tap for switching between tanks. In the position of your photo, you are drawing from both tanks similtainiously, turn it clockwise and you will draw from the tank to the left, anticlockwise and you will draw from the tank on the right.

Reactions: Bluey and Drover

MikeC

Aug 29, 2017
Adelaide
Thank you all. It is nice to have my suspicions confirmed. I would also agree that the kink has to go. Coincidentally I did test the hot water system just using the pump and it really didn't like it. Started pulsing rather badly. So I will make sure that if I do anything like that again I run off one tank. Coincidentally most of our trips are local at the moment using caravan parks and I have only been filling the rear tank so that we have water for when we stop along the way. The front tank was pretty low.

Reactions: chartrock

jazzeddie1234

May 19, 2016
Mandurah
You need water in both tanks when both are selected. Otherwise the pump will draw air from the empty one and just keep on running.

You could try cutting the pipe at the kink and inserting a 90' (standard retic elbow) to reduce the tension. Otherwise I would use a longer length of tube

MDS69

Jul 6, 2014
Thank you all. It is nice to have my suspicions confirmed. I would also agree that the kink has to go. Coincidentally I did test the hot water system just using the pump and it really didn't like it. Started pulsing rather badly. So I will make sure that if I do anything like that again I run off one tank. Coincidentally most of our trips are local at the moment using caravan parks and I have only been filling the rear tank so that we have water for when we stop along the way. The front tank was pretty low.

You probably want to fill and use your front tank if only using 1 tank if you have multiples. Better for more weight on the ball than not.

MikeC

Aug 29, 2017
Adelaide
Hi MDS69. I hear what your saying but for some weird reason I am already fairly heavy on the ball. Standard A frame setup, no extra boxes etc and not an excessive amount of weight in the tunnel boot yet nearly 200kg on the ball. Sticker on the van says the max should be 164kgs. I reckon even if the van was empty it would still be more than that. Just using the rear tank is my attempt to shift some weight aft.