Water Tank Usage

paulie484

Apr 12, 2012
Perth WA
Ok, newbie and 2nd hand buyer question

If hooked into mains water at caravan parks, does that over-ride the water tank use ?

Ie. If we use the external shower with the hot water system going does it feed from the mains..?

Cheers

relgate

Superstar
Staff member
Feb 2, 2012
Sydney, NSW
I have a question too.
We often stay at a park with dodgy water. I was thinking of hooking in to use the dodgy stuff for shower and kitchen etc, but have the water tanks full and ready for drinking water. My plan is to use the hand pump to access the tanks while still hooked up to mains pressure. Will this work?

straydingo

Jul 4, 2011
Melbourne
Your answer is yes but make sure your pump is turned off ..
On our last trip I realised that the racket I had when turning the tap on was the pump after it had drained the tank whilst connected to the mains. I had originally thought they were separate, and found that doesn't seem to be the case. Yes the switch needs to be off though. Its on my to-do list to isolate them with a valve to be on the same side.....

edit "safe side" not "same side" :)

coled1970

May 27, 2012
Hunter Valley, Newcastle
On our last trip I realised that the racket I had when turning the tap on was the pump after it had drained the tank whilst connected to the mains. I had originally thought they were separate, and found that doesn't seem to be the case. Yes the switch needs to be off though. Its on my to-do list to isolate them with a valve to be on the same side.....

While away the other weekend i thought our pump had failed, but was wrong. I found that if the pump was switched on and the water pressure from the mains was high enough the pump wouldn't kick in.

leesy

Jul 26, 2012
Lysterfield
So, just so i am clear, if the pump switch is on when your connected to mains water it will still source from your tank regardless of the mains pressure? Turn the pump off and it will be mains only unless you use the hand pump which will be tank? It would be good to know this as tank water i like to keep for drinking and mains for the washing up ect.
Thoughs?
Cheers :yo:

ROnEM

Mar 13, 2012
Macedon Ranges, Vic
Paul,

What you describe is exactly the same as how our van works! Allows us to carry plenty of nice fresh rainwater for drinking, even when at parks.

Cheers.

Ro

leesy

Jul 26, 2012
Lysterfield
Paul,

What you describe is exactly the same as how our van works! Allows us to carry plenty of nice fresh rainwater for drinking, even when at parks.

Cheers.

Ro

Yes thats how i thought it worked, i too like to take the pristine Lysterfield water for drinking and the use destinations water for all else, i was also thinking about splitting the line that comes out of the water tank with a T and in line tap to enable me to draw water from a large one of those Bunnings flexible buckets full of river water for the use of the exterior shower, once the showers are done switch it back to the tank, the hot water system would have river water left in it but thats no worries for the washing up, I think this will work and as we are more so bush campers we are never far from a river or lake. Has anyone else made a similar mod?:noidea:
Cheers