17' Series Water pooling on roof

Rusty01

Jan 4, 2021
Brisbane
I have a 17ft expanda that held 53 litres of water on the roof. After many emails Jayco replaced the roof but now it hold 42 litres of water and that is when I put it slight off level. I now have water damage inside.
Does anyone else have this problem or had it fixed?
Cheers

Boots in Action

Mar 13, 2017
Ferny Grove, Queensland
I have a 17ft expanda that held 53 litres of water on the roof. After many emails Jayco replaced the roof but now it hold 42 litres of water and that is when I put it slight off level. I now have water damage inside.
Does anyone else have this problem or had it fixed?
Cheers
Hi @Rusty01 and welcome to the forum. The main/usual problem of water causing damage inside is because the sealing on roof between flat surface and roof ridge has hairline cracks caused by improper/insufficient use of sealant and/or weather damage from extended exposure to hot/cold sun. Also if you have any other attachments to roof, a/c, roof racks, solar panels, television antenna, the sealing there too is subject to the same break down caused by weather conditions. To reduce pooling on roof, you will have to have greater slope to allow water to run off and not build up behind the higher outer ridge of roof. You then only have to worry about the lower end being in good condition.

Rusty01

Jan 4, 2021
Brisbane
Hi @Rusty01 and welcome to the forum. The main/usual problem of water causing damage inside is because the sealing on roof between flat surface and roof ridge has hairline cracks caused by improper/insufficient use of sealant and/or weather damage from extended exposure to hot/cold sun. Also if you have any other attachments to roof, a/c, roof racks, solar panels, television antenna, the sealing there too is subject to the same break down caused by weather conditions. To reduce pooling on roof, you will have to have greater slope to allow water to run off and not build up behind the higher outer ridge of roof. You then only have to worry about the lower end being in good condition.
Hi Boots in Action, thanks for the reply. I had the new roof fitted 4 months ago sho the silicone jo seal should be good, Jayco are looking into it. In regards to the pooling of water on the rood, I have a dip in the roof near the a/c which is around 15mm deep when full of water. I would have to put it out of level alot to stop the water sitting. What I don't understand is why Jayco don't put a convex bow in the roof to counter the weight of the a/c etc.

Marv_mart

Jan 3, 2014
Adelaide
Is the AC properly supported? Seems like the bracing for the AC is inadequate to have such a dip in the roof.
Permanent roof of lift top? Did the van come with AC fitted or after sale extra? All q’s to put to Jayco.

BJM

Sep 29, 2018
Yamba
Have the 5/year old 17.55 poptop roof has large number of dips etc.Looked at many new ones the same.As Drover said a few weeks ago get up on a step ladder in a cp soon tell the Jaycos.Do not accept a new roof with a concave dip in it that holds 42 litres.Then again maybe Jaycos new above ground water storage set up.!

turbopsi

Mar 22, 2016
Melbourne, Australia
Hi how did you go with this? I'm in the same boat, new Jayco roof just got assessed with a 25mm dip and it was deemed acceptable and warranty replacement rejected.