Electrical Warning Sound When Battery Disconnected..

Dove

Aug 14, 2013
Melb, Vic.
I am currently installing a 2Kw diesel heater. Yesterday I connected its electrics to the battery. When I disconnected the leads from the battery to add the heater + and - leads a high pitched warning sounded in the van. I could not work out where it was coming from and reconnected all leads quickly at which it stopped.

Does anyone know what it was?

Advice appreciated as I hope I haven't done any harm? All seems to be working ok except the Drifter panel reset its self. That I can handle. As to be expected with the Jayco the battery leads are a tangle of wires and house hold connectors.

numbez

Oct 29, 2014
Yarra Valley, Victoria
Hey @Dove, I agree with @relgate and @Bmhdg76, the alarm comes from the solar regulator, wouldn't imagine it would do any harm as the battery needs disconnecting to change over or when it runs flat.

How is the heater install going? I started my install last weekend and completed all the inside sections, with the outside items (tank connection and exhaust) to be tackled over Easter. The tricky bit was finding a suitable place for the controller at a level of 1500 above floor level which you could easily locate the rear connector. My solution was spending a painful 3 hours with a strip of yellow-tongue and unscrewing or dismantling every switch, bracket, power lead, obstacle known to man which lay in the install path. I got to the last 15cm and considered cutting the connector off and rejoining the wires, but considering I'd come that far I persisted. I'll post up some photos once completed

Bushman

Forum Moderator
Staff member
Nov 9, 2010
Wollondilly Shire NSW
my solar regulator use to scream its head off for no reason the only way i could stop it was to pull the inline fuse never could figure out why it did it

Dove

Aug 14, 2013
Melb, Vic.
Thanks for the replies. Yes I have a 120 watt solar panel as part of the Outback model. Certainly everything seems to be working now.
With respect to the heater. Yesterday we completed the installation. Today we tried to fire it up. After 4 or 5 cycles it still hadn't sucked any fuel thru to the filter. I then disconnected the quick connects (broke one end) and dropped the tank down to the same level as the pump and the fuel line connected directly to the suction pipe. After two cycles we had fuel in the filter and after another five cycles it blew a cloud of white smoke out the exhaust. I shut it down for 15 minutes and tried again. This time it fired up, no smoke and started blowing hot air. All good.
My van is a 16.51 caravan. The heater is mounted behind the left hand wheel arch under the L shaped dinette. I have placed a vent next to the fire extinguisher near the door, and the control panel above the vent. My understanding is you can place the control panel any where at the temp sensor is mounted in the heater unit air intake.