Walker's Crossing Track

swifty

Mar 7, 2013
Hi all

Has anyone taken their Expanda across Walker's Crossing between Innamincka and the Birdsville Track?

We are looking to go to Birdsville in June/July and would like to save some k's by going to Birdsville from Inna by this route rather than up Cordillo Downs Rd or via Planet Downs.

We have a "soft lid" 16.49-1B with BFGs and good tank protection, will possibly add Rock Tamers to the car.

Thanks, and will post a trip report either way when done ;)

Feldty

May 31, 2012
Wangaratta, Vic
Hi Swifty,

I have a feeling that the walkers crossing track is closed. It certainly was last year when I did a similar route. The Gibba on the Cordillo Downs rd would be harsh on your expanda. Others could certainly comment better than me through as I have never taken mine to that neck of the woods.

Kev.

swifty

Mar 7, 2013
Thanks Kev
The SA Govt website doesn't show it at all so maybe it is closed. That will mean back tracking to Nappa Merrie and north up to Haddon Corner and join the Birdsville Dev Road I suppose.
Cheers
Pete

Stone Stomper

Jul 2, 2011
Glenelg SA
www.stonestomper.com.au
Hi Swifty, if there is no rain around and the track is open you will be fine, it's a great run and you don't get a broken windscreen from cars going past too fast.

Christian
image0010.jpg
image0011.jpg
image0012.jpg

Reactions: Xpandafan

swifty

Mar 7, 2013
Thaks Christian, I love the vast expanses of nothing in this great country.
The options other than WC I suppose are:
  • Cordillo Road - which is meant to be rocky and terrible?
  • Planet Arrabury Road - a bit rocky and a bit terrible?
Does anyone have any feedback on those?

We are new to vanning (is that a word?) and whilst our Expanda has done some outback work I am still a bit nervous about breaking something, a water pipe or fitting is no big deal but a leaf spring or wheel bearing then we would be up the Brown Brook and stranded with my mechanical knowledge :(