Waeco Portable Fridge

Bank of Dad

Jul 20, 2011
Kilmore, VIC
I have recently bought a Waeco CF35 as I am sick and tired of spending money on ice to keep beer cold when I should be spending money on just the beer!

Mine has the digital setting for temperature and to try it out I turned it on and set 2 degrees and then once it reached that temperature, put a 6 pack of cans in. Took about 3 hours to be cold.

For those who have these fridges, is that about the correct temperature setting? Also I plan to have a 12 volt external and or internal outlet put into the van. The van only has 1 100amp battery so I would be interested to know what sort of power the fridge would draw on 12V and how long I could expect to be able to use it for on 12V?

Any ideas please?

Thanks - A thirsty Bank of Dad!:lol:

brookes2622

Jun 24, 2012
Bywong NSW
I have a 40l Engel and I think it's great. Usually run it on or about 2 and it get the beer perfect and cold. I used to have a camper and kept the Engel in the back of the ute in transit connected to a cig plug in the tray. Works well but would go off when the car is off so last trip I bought a Waeco RAPS36 which is a 36A/H battery pack. Combined with the 12v in the back of the ute all works well and the battery def keeps the fridge going overnight but not sure exactly how long. We used to put the meat and veggies in the Engel on the way to the camp site and transfer to the 90l in the camper on arrival. The Engel was then the beer fridge and it would get the beer perfectly cold. Love mine and wouldn't be without it. I suspect the 100A/H would last the weekend but like I said I'm not sure.

Reactions: Bank of Dad

brookes2622

Jun 24, 2012
Bywong NSW
I've seen the "Ark Battery Power Pack" being sold. Rays Outdoors has them for $135.

http://www.raysoutdoors.com.au/onli...Box-Smart-Charger.aspx?pid=165815#Description

130a/h battery box smart charger. Plus a battery needed as well.

Would it just be easier to put a second battery in the van plus the 12V outlets?

It's not how I use it, meaning as another battery in the van. It was originally to power the fridge when the car was stopped, shopping, park, lunch etc. So the way it works is I connect it to the CIG in the tub and when the car is running it chanrges the battery. The fridge then plugs into the battery pack and runs off the pack while it is being charged. The ARK packs are good but you have the cost of a battery as well, so bit more expensive. Basically I bought the RAPS36 for $300 in Dubbo, though Anaconda have them on special ATM for less then that, typical. $135 for the ARK and then the sky's the limit for a good AGM to go with but I doubt it will be as portable, more power certainly but bigger and heavier. Anyhow, that's what I do doesn't make it the best solution or cheapest but kinda works for me. Kinda wasted a bit now I have had an additional battery installed in the car also.

leesy

Jul 26, 2012
Lysterfield
I had the same fridge in my camper trailer, we had a 100AH batt and it never ran out, we had solar to top up or hooked it up to the cars duel batt, they dont use much power at all, that being said always try putting in cold things, if i had space to spare i would also put a frozed 2lt milk carton of water in, helps alot keeping it cold and the fridge running less and you have cold water for the kids and colder beer for you!
cheers

Jaybird

May 31, 2012
Gippsland Lakes
I have a 45ltr Engle that I am setting up, it travels in the car attached to the car battery while driving through the Engle plug. i'm mounting a folding panel flat on the roof attached to a 100am/h battery in the car,. The battery will be in a box with several other fitttings so that I can charge phones etc and it will replace the charge lost overnight while traveling or stopped.
i will be able to take the panel off and use it as a folding panel while camping this way I can use the Engle as a freezer/fridge this setup should work as a godd all rounder.

Burnsy

Mar 26, 2012
Newcastle
BoD, I have a Waeco CF60 if you like nice cold beer like me I have it set on -1 to -2 depending on weather. Don't forget to set your battery monitor mode too, important if running off a starter battery.

Cheers.