17' Series WA Servicing recommendations

Treesyg

Jun 28, 2021
Wellard
Greetings all:) We are looking to take possession of a 2010 Jayco 17.56-2HL van, hopefully by the end of the week. It will be our first ever van and looking forward to many and ventures. Given it’s an older van it has some cosmetic bits and bobs to sort and we’d like to get it thoroughly serviced. Can anyone recommend some excellent van servicing people that are reasonable with price but great to work with? And do the servicing guys sort bits and bobs like the list below or is that better to sort oneself?

The issues we will be looking to sort that are obvious are - one of the windows has a crack in it, there’s some small holes in a section of the pop up canvas and flyscreen, a spring is missing in the freezer door so it doesn’t stay shut when opening the fridge, one of the bed ends canvas did not seem to be attaching to the velcro a smidgeon and could let in bugs etc and a finally a crack on the cover for air con unit.

Any recommendations and tips and tricks would be welcome for newbies. Advice on where to find parts etc., anything we should be aware of, people to talk to would be very welcome input!

Thanks

5A1E557A-28D8-4BC6-8A57-343A994D036D.jpeg
CBD0D3C1-78F7-4C43-B36A-4DFCFC30CB9E.jpeg

Attachments

• 520D90E1-6551-4C97-A24E-ADDC241386A8.jpeg
    520D90E1-6551-4C97-A24E-ADDC241386A8.jpeg
    117.8 KB · Views: 218

Boots in Action

Mar 13, 2017
Ferny Grove, Queensland
Greetings all:) We are looking to take possession of a 2010 Jayco 17.56-2HL van, hopefully by the end of the week. It will be our first ever van and looking forward to many and ventures. Given it’s an older van it has some cosmetic bits and bobs to sort and we’d like to get it thoroughly serviced. Can anyone recommend some excellent van servicing people that are reasonable with price but great to work with? And do the servicing guys sort bits and bobs like the list below or is that better to sort oneself?

The issues we will be looking to sort that are obvious are - one of the windows has a crack in it, there’s some small holes in a section of the pop up canvas and flyscreen, a spring is missing in the freezer door so it doesn’t stay shut when opening the fridge, one of the bed ends canvas did not seem to be attaching to the velcro a smidgeon and could let in bugs etc and a finally a crack on the cover for air con unit.

Any recommendations and tips and tricks would be welcome for newbies. Advice on where to find parts etc., anything we should be aware of, people to talk to would be very welcome input!

Thanks

View attachment 67115View attachment 67117

Hi @Treesyg and welcome to the forum. There are lots of experienced members who will be able to assist you in getting your new purchase up to the standard you want including any mods.
I do not know anything about service people in WA, but there are members there who will be able to assist. Although I do not have a Expanda, I only have a 2015 Penguin, but have been involved with fitting replacement springs and hinges on both Dometic and Thetford 3 way fridges. If you go on to the Ebay site and type in Parts for Dometic (or Thetford) 3 way fridge, you will be able to select and buy what you require. Caravanrv, Ourvanrv are just two companies who will have the parts you need. You can fit the parts yourself, and there are fitting instructions on Utube to follow. Sorry I cannot help you on other items.

Reactions: jazzeddie1234

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
Welcome to the mob, www.caravansplus.com is my go to place for some great listings of parts and manuals for products especially fridges.......... decent prices for most things and quick service unlike some....
The holes in your screen look like a misalign when roof is down, an arm or ram is rubbing, a simple quick fix is a blob of silsatic over the hole, smoothed out with a wet finger once dry forms a nice patch, sticky tape over the fly screen and aquadhere over the hole works as well, remove tape later.....

The velcro hole is common sometimes a brushing of the velcro will get it working again or it may need glueing back on.

The bits and bobs are better to do yourself if your handy, expensive if others do them plus you get to know your rig better........ Servicing is really checking and adjusting brakes and making sure the bolts holding the wheels and stuff on are okay and the hitch has a bit of grease............ not much else they do really..... I can't put you onto anyone in WA though...... Whatever you do make sure your wheel nuts are checked by you always, before you hook up, never assume they were done, many a wheel has gone bush on that assumption.

Crusty181

Feb 7, 2010
Mentone, VIC

Thanks
Hey @Treesyg welcome. Very exciting time for you guys.

The missing white powercoating lining up with the skirt wear holes strongly suggests focused rubbing, and there appears there 2 x screws (or something similar) I see in the roof directly above those wear holes. The hole in the skirt won't continue to run, so it can be patched effectly. If you can remove the rubbing culprit the holes can be patched with maybe vinyl tape, vulcanizing patch, vinyl water bed patch

There are many online parts providers, along with Jayco dealers. RvPartsExpress is an online parts supplier part-owned by Jayco themselves, so they have lots of Jayco tilted parts

Treesyg

Jun 28, 2021
Wellard
Hi @Treesyg and welcome to the forum. There are lots of experienced members who will be able to assist you in getting your new purchase up to the standard you want including any mods.
I do not know anything about service people in WA, but there are members there who will be able to assist. Although I do not have a Expanda, I only have a 2015 Penguin, but have been involved with fitting replacement springs and hinges on both Dometic and Thetford 3 way fridges. If you go on to the Ebay site and type in Parts for Dometic (or Thetford) 3 way fridge, you will be able to select and buy what you require. Caravanrv, Ourvanrv are just two companies who will have the parts you need. You can fit the parts yourself, and there are fitting instructions on Utube to follow. Sorry I cannot help you on other items.
Thanks for that … have had a look on YouTube and have a better understanding of what needs to happen. Thanks heaps for that!

Reactions: Boots in Action

Treesyg

Jun 28, 2021
Wellard
Welcome to the mob, www.caravansplus.com is my go to place for some great listings of parts and manuals for products especially fridges.......... decent prices for most things and quick service unlike some....
The holes in your screen look like a misalign when roof is down, an arm or ram is rubbing, a simple quick fix is a blob of silsatic over the hole, smoothed out with a wet finger once dry forms a nice patch, sticky tape over the fly screen and aquadhere over the hole works as well, remove tape later.....

The velcro hole is common sometimes a brushing of the velcro will get it working again or it may need glueing back on.

The bits and bobs are better to do yourself if your handy, expensive if others do them plus you get to know your rig better........ Servicing is really checking and adjusting brakes and making sure the bolts holding the wheels and stuff on are okay and the hitch has a bit of grease............ not much else they do really..... I can't put you onto anyone in WA though...... Whatever you do make sure your wheel nuts are checked by you always, before you hook up, never assume they were done, many a wheel has gone bush on that assumption.
Thanks for the heads up there … I try to be handy and will look at getting a better understanding of those elements you have mentioned. Thanks for your advice.

Reactions: Drover

jazzeddie1234

May 19, 2016
Mandurah
I've used PDA in maddington for warranty stuff and minor servicing. Pricing is ok and good workmanship. They are usually booked out months in advance
Also have used Mandurah Caravan Repair Centre. Also pretty busy but prices are better too.

Camec have a warehouse on welshpool road that is very well stocked although prices are a bit eye watering. Jayco Caravanland on albany highway are surprisingly ok for a range of spares and price but never used them for a service.

Last edited:
Reactions: Drover and Treesyg

Treesyg

Jun 28, 2021
Wellard
I've used PDA in maddington for warranty stuff and minor servicing. Pricing is ok and good workmanship. They are usually booked out months in advance
Also have used Mandurah Caravan Repair Centre. Also pretty busy but prices are better too.

Camec have a warehouse on welshpool road that is very well stocked although prices are a bit eye watering. Jayco Caravanland on albany highway are surprisingly ok for a range of spares and price but never used them for a service.
Thanks heaps for your response and bits of advice. I am hearing many are booked out months in advanced! I think I can get a spot at Madurah and yes their prices do look much better:) Crazy days.

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
Oh one thing in regards to the wear holes in roof skirt, when you pull down the roof make sure the lining folds inwards, just grab it as it comes down, the roof should sit fairly even if not a ram could be failing, I don't mean set square even though just roughly square............... New Rams for everything can be sourced from Gastrutguys on ebay or their web site, https://www.gasstrutguys.com.au/ very good to deal with and good price with quality gear been using them for 20 years at least......