VW Tiguan worth a look?

17triton

Feb 24, 2013
Ballarat
Just thought i might throw this in the ring for some of you potential buyers. A mate of mine has one and get this he tows his 2007 18-57-6 with it. He loves it and fuel economy is awesome 6lt/100 around town and 11-13 towing! Some models in the range have a 2500kg tow rating not bad for the Touaregs little brother. I`m not sure i would like to tow an 18 with one (my mate says he raises some eyebrows when he hooks up) but i imagine they would be awesome with a 16 or so. The day my mate picked his van up from melbourne driving home to ballarat he was doing 100kmh at the bottom of the pentland hills in 6th and was doing 100kmh in 5th at the top pretty impressive for a smaller tug. They start at 28k for a front wheel drive but i would think you would want a awd, any thoughts?

Soaring

Jan 30, 2013
Melbourne - Eltham
VW seem to be paying with fire IMHO. Their small engines are being really wound up tight to get reaonable power and Torque figures. I don't want to get into any debates about capacity vs technology, however they have had some significant issues recently. The TSI Golf has a turbo charged + supercharged small capacity petrol motor. It was recommended that owners only use Premium fuel in these little crotch rockets, however regular Unleaded was deemed to be"OK".
Unfortunately the knock sensor/timing adjustment mechanism did not have the range of adjustment to accomodate the timing requirements for regular, or even slightly less than 95 octain fuel. As a result, the hundreds of engines in Aust pinged their way into block failure. Total engine replacement. Countless instances internationally. VW said these were isolated cases, but being in the industry, i've heard from VERY reliable sources that this was widespread. A recall was not issued, but owners received letters asking them to bring the cars in to have to have sensors replaced. Urgently.
I mention this as an example of the dangers of pushing the envelope. Considering we put our cars under much more stress than your average Soccor mum by towing 2t+ allover the country. Buyer beware.

Matty4

Mar 18, 2011
Wandin North, Vic
He's not serious, surely?
The current TD AWD Tigger has 103kw and 320nm of torque.
Coupled to the max towing of 2000kg and a kerb weight of 1630kg, that is just a recipe for disaster waiting to happen.

Hope I never come across him in my travels with that setup.......:der:

/all figures taken off 2013 specs.

17triton

Feb 24, 2013
Ballarat
He's not serious, surely?
The current TD AWD Tigger has 103kw and 320nm of torque.
Coupled to the max towing of 2000kg and a kerb weight of 1630kg, that is just a recipe for disaster waiting to happen.

Hope I never come across him in my travels with that setup.......:der:

/all figures taken off 2013 specs.
Fair enough Matty4 I just had a look at the new specs as well and your right. I had read an earlier model review where they had 125-130 kw and 2500 kg tow must have cut back. I agree on the 18 but I could see them towing a smaller van ok just my opinion.

gspy4u

Apr 27, 2012
Ipswich
thought he was talking about an amorok at first, now way in hell i would be towing that much weight in a small tig.