VIC Vic- any free camping suggestions (dirt bike trails)

Lisao

Jun 7, 2011
Melbourne
Not sure if I have put this in the correct section. Trying to plan a boys dirt bike weekend away including the kids & wife's (& the expanda). Does anyone have any suggestions looking for something not to far from the western suburbs (max 3 hours away) most importantly need to have great riding trails. thinking about avoca, waterfall campground.
Thanks in advance for your help.

GLX-R

Mar 9, 2011
Kyneton, Vic
Lisao,

Obrien's Crossing, just out of Blackwood is always a popular camping spot right on the Lederderg River. Turnoff is justout of Blackwood on the Ballan Rd and only a few k's of dirt road down to the river (from memory). Right in the middle of the Wombat State Forest and heaps of fire trails & tracks that go right through to Trentham, Bullengarook and even Woodend.

Cheers,

Stew

grinner914

Aug 3, 2011
Bacchus Marsh VIC
Obrien's Crossing is now not as good as it used to be. It was badly affected by flooding last year, and the subsequent clean up seems to have reduced the number of camp spots. Most of the sites along the river are now fenced off, and I would say that now you would be luck to get 2 smallish vans in there, in a spot right next to the bridge.

Firth Park is close to Obriens, and probably a better option for camping with a van.

Jason

Lisao

Jun 7, 2011
Melbourne
Thanks heaps for your replys. We have been to both places before. Husband rides there quite often. Today I purchased the camps6 (snapshot) and have confirmed our next spot will be in avoca, waterfall campground. From the picture & infor from the book and what my husband recommends looks like we will be heading there. let's hope our first free camping in the expanda is all smooth sailing.