Useing river water and bypass of tank

leesy

Jul 26, 2012
Lysterfield
Hi all, i was wondering if anyone has ever set up a bypass on their water line from the tank?
I was thinking when bush camping that i could put an in line tap and T so i could fill a big tub with clean river water and draw it up useing the 12v pump into the hot water system to use in the outdoor shower? I would use an inline filter before it gets to the HWS, and when all the showers are done turn the tap back to the tank supply?
Any thoughts here?
Leesy

achjimmy

Jan 24, 2011
dooable, You can rig up you pump pick up with a tee and connect a water hose to suck water out of a river, use your drawbar tap with another hose to fill your tanks so i guess you could also use your outside shower?

We carry bottled water and dont drink or cook with the tank water anymore, so i intend to fill it if and when we get an oppertunity.

Reactions: leesy

BUSH PALACE

Sep 4, 2011
LOBETHAL S.A
Hi Leesy we just carry another 12v shureflo pump using a gest filter and just pump straight out of rivers / creeks into our tanks ..

Brad

Jan 2, 2012
Rowville, Victoria
Hi all, i was wondering if anyone has ever set up a bypass on their water line from the tank?
I was thinking when bush camping that i could put an in line tap and T so i could fill a big tub with clean river water and draw it up useing the 12v pump into the hot water system to use in the outdoor shower? I would use an inline filter before it gets to the HWS, and when all the showers are done turn the tap back to the tank supply?
Any thoughts here?
Leesy

Hey as another option, my father used to have a patrol and he installed a shower pump into the car. The nice thing about that was that he would turn on the car engine and water would pump from the river and travel around the heated extremities (somehow) of the engine before exiting to an outdoor shower. The water always heated extremely well.

leesy

Jul 26, 2012
Lysterfield
Hey as another option, my father used to have a patrol and he installed a shower pump into the car. The nice thing about that was that he would turn on the car engine and water would pump from the river and travel around the heated extremities (somehow) of the engine before exiting to an outdoor shower. The water always heated extremely well.
Yeah i have looked a few times at the under bonnet shower, there are a few different ones and its about $750+ to get installed.

leesy

Jul 26, 2012
Lysterfield
My father gave me one of these http://www.colemanaustralia.com.au/.../Hot-Water-on-Demand/Hot-Water-on-Demand.aspx and the shower attachment. I haven't tried it yet but it's another option.

...and then I read the website and "Do not use with river water" .... oh well but good for me to know.
I have had one of the early models of these with my old soft floor camper and although im sure they have improved over time mine was problematic and it ended up not recovering well from an altercation with the log splitter.....:mad2:

grinner914

Aug 3, 2011
Bacchus Marsh VIC
I have tried to "suck" the water from the river using the onboard pump, but find that depending on the distance, it just tends to colapse the sides of the hose and really reduce the amount of water flow.

I have built a plastic box that contains a 12v flojet pump, with its own 20A 12v battery and a small 10 watt solar panel. This lives at the water source.

Up at the van, I have a 60 lt barrel, connectted via a length of hose to the pump at the river, and I fill up the barrel as required during the day.

On the van, I have "T" ed into the hose between the onboard pump and the onboard tank, and ran another hose out to the back of the van.

This has 2 inline valves, so I can set it up to either pump water from the onboard tank, and shut off the external hose, or shut off the onboard tank, and pump water from the barrel via the external hose.

This keeps the the river water out of the onboard tank, which we leave for drinking water only.

Jason water pumping setup.jpg

leesy

Jul 26, 2012
Lysterfield
I have tried to "suck" the water from the river using the onboard pump, but find that depending on the distance, it just tends to colapse the sides of the hose and really reduce the amount of water flow.

I have built a plastic box that contains a 12v flojet pump, with its own 20A 12v battery and a small 10 watt solar panel. This lives at the water source.

Up at the van, I have a 60 lt barrel, connectted via a length of hose to the pump at the river, and I fill up the barrel as required during the day.

On the van, I have "T" ed into the hose between the onboard pump and the onboard tank, and ran another hose out to the back of the van.

This has 2 inline valves, so I can set it up to either pump water from the onboard tank, and shut off the external hose, or shut off the onboard tank, and pump water from the barrel via the external hose.

This keeps the the river water out of the onboard tank, which we leave for drinking water only.

JasonView attachment 10504
Thanks Jason, thats precisly what i am trying to achieve!
So you are useing this to run the water for showering?
Did you use any inline filter? where did you get the fittings from? just the sprinkler fittings from Bunnings?
Cheers, Paul

grinner914

Aug 3, 2011
Bacchus Marsh VIC
Hi Paul

Yes I use this to run the shower and sink in the van, basically like being hooked up to the mains.
I actually run 3 filters. The first in in the river / lake, before the portable pump. It is just one of the inline filters designed for the black ploy pipe garden irrigation systems.
Just before the barrel, I run 2 more filters, another irrigation type filter, then a pressure washer filter like this http://www.totaltools.com.au/karcher-water-filter/w1/i1022890/

All the hoses and fittings are from the irrigation and watering ailse at Bunnings, the pressure washer filter is in the section with the pressure washers.

Jason

Reactions: leesy

leesy

Jul 26, 2012
Lysterfield
Hi Paul

Yes I use this to run the shower and sink in the van, basically like being hooked up to the mains.
I actually run 3 filters. The first in in the river / lake, before the portable pump. It is just one of the inline filters designed for the black ploy pipe garden irrigation systems.
Just before the barrel, I run 2 more filters, another irrigation type filter, then a pressure washer filter like this http://www.totaltools.com.au/karcher-water-filter/w1/i1022890/

All the hoses and fittings are from the irrigation and watering ailse at Bunnings, the pressure washer filter is in the section with the pressure washers.

Jason

Thanks mate