Electrical USB Power Analyser

mikerezny

Sep 11, 2016
Mount Waverley, VIC
Hi,
recently we were concerned that the iPad was not charging from the USB adapter plugged into the 12V plug in the van. I have a multimeter, but it was not possible to easily check the current flowing in the USB cable. I used my clamp meter around the 12V cable supplying the 12V socket and helped diagnose the problem. Seems like the iPad does not like charging the battery in sub zero temperatures.

Anyhow, to the point, I wanted something to measure voltage and current in a USB charger cable.

Thank you Mr Google and Dr. eBay:

s-l400.jpg

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/USB-Charger-Doctor-Mobile-Battery-Tester-Power-Detector-Voltage-Current-Meter-R1/302264994286?ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&var=601107373913&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

Arrived today, works perfectly, and even for a tight a****e like me, I have to admit it but for $1.79 (including GST) it seems to be reasonable value! Only took 17 days to come from China.

cheers
Mike

Last edited:

DRW

May 29, 2013
Beautiful Burrum Heads QLD
If it’s a dual outlet USB one is usually 0.5A and the other 1.5A the volt meter will only measure the voltage with no load, handy tool anyway

mikerezny

Sep 11, 2016
Mount Waverley, VIC
If it’s a dual outlet USB one is usually 0.5A and the other 1.5A the volt meter will only measure the voltage with no load, handy tool anyway
I am not sure what you mean.

It is a single inline USB Plug and Socket that measures voltage across and current flow through the lead that is plugged into it. This device has no impact on the current and voltage both of which will be determine by the USB outlet it is plugged into and the device it is powering.

The display alternates between voltage and current. Maximum current that it will measure is 3A.

cheers
Mike

Reactions: DRW

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
I have 3 types of USB outlets, 1amp, 1.5amp and a 2 amp to satisfy the various phones, tablets and my WiFi hotspot charging requirements have some in the Ute that are 1 amp BUT if you plug 2 devices into the dual socket they will only get .5amp so slow charge on phone....I know they are powered as they have annoying blue lights.

mikerezny

Sep 11, 2016
Mount Waverley, VIC
I have 3 types of USB outlets, 1amp, 1.5amp and a 2 amp to satisfy the various phones, tablets and my WiFi hotspot charging requirements have some in the Ute that are 1 amp BUT if you plug 2 devices into the dual socket they will only get .5amp so slow charge on phone....I know they are powered as they have annoying blue lights.
Out of curiosity, how did you measure the current into the devices?

I have a dual USB adapter in the Penguin that claims to have one 2.1A and one 1A. I have often wondered whether the 2.1A outlet will only supply 2.1A when the other socket is unused. Now, with my new expensive toy, I will have the answer.

cheers
Mike

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
I'm just going by the stamp, stupid Samsung tablet wants 2a or just won't do anything, U like that gadget could be very handy.

Boots in Action

Mar 13, 2017
Ferny Grove, Queensland
Out of curiosity, how did you measure the current into the devices?

I have a dual USB adapter in the Penguin that claims to have one 2.1A and one 1A. I have often wondered whether the 2.1A outlet will only supply 2.1A when the other socket is unused. Now, with my new expensive toy, I will have the answer.

cheers
Mike

Thanks Mike, just what I have been looking for. Needed as I thought that lithium battery rechargeable light was not reaching full charge and not turning off (when full???) at times. Would be very, very handy.

Reactions: mikerezny

Bellbirdweb

Jan 24, 2014
Sydney
We were having similar concerns over some USB outlets in our mobile command centres and I purchased a similar one.

Mine does voltage, current and mA hours and works great.

I have diagnosed a couple of USB’s not supplying the claimed current

Boots in Action

Mar 13, 2017
Ferny Grove, Queensland
We were having similar concerns over some USB outlets in our mobile command centres and I purchased a similar one.

Mine does voltage, current and mA hours and works great.

I have diagnosed a couple of USB’s not supplying the claimed current

Hi @Bellbirdweb and @mikerezny , seems you have both found the great piece of test equipment. I am still waiting for mine to arrive, and can hardly wait to test my equipment. I also have a 12 volt plug in device which has THREE outlets for USB connections - 1A, 2A and 2.1A. Item is fused at 5A. It will be great to test each outlet individually and also the max when all are connected at the one time. Will report my findings as soon as tested when battery power is at differing voltages and state of charge.