Suspension Underslung Axle

BruceD

Jun 12, 2013
Canberra
I own a 2014 Journey 17.55.8 and am thinking of having the axles under slung to get a little extra height for reversing up my driveway and negotiating dish drains, speed humps etc. I have read numerous posts where members have done this to their vans.

I recently read an article where it was stated that the caravan being reviewed had “semi-elliptical leaf springs whose shape not only act as a durable spring that supports the van, it also works to keep the axle in the proper position…..and deliver the smoothest, quietest ride possible”.

I appreciate that the above words are part of the sales pitch for the van but does under slinging the axles compromise the suspension setup in anyway? Is there a trade-off between the slight height gain and the ride or any other factors?

BruceD

Jun 12, 2013
Canberra
Hi @Colin&Sue Yes I had been told that before. Haven't got an annex as yet. When you say "When I get time" does that mean you are going to do it yourself?

Moto Mech

Jul 18, 2012
Mole Creek, Tasmania
Done our Jayco Discovery and flipped drop axle, gained 150mm in height(but you don't need to do both). If your doing it your self youll need to cut off the location mounts on axle and reweld them on other side of axle for spring to seat/locate on

Reactions: bigcol

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
Did mine gained 100mm, jack up van put jack stands under chassis, remove wheels,undo the U bolts, handbrake cable, brake power cable on axle, pop a shackle pin and roll out axle. Mark the centre of the spacers position on axle with a punch then grind the weld and remove the spacer. Now measure the position of the punch mark and replicate it on the opposite side of the axle and reposition the spacer there.
You need to move the spacer as the axle needs to be in the same position, if your roll it 180 deg your brakes will be wrong and you could scrub tyres as well.
Position your axle under the spring and using NEW U bolts preferable with HT washers bolt it up and connect up all the other bits. Note you may need to carry some extra blocks for under the stands at some places.
If you have a FWD your hitch may need to be turned over but if you have a car I wouldn't do the mod as your van hitch would need modding.
I found my rig to travel better lifted and with my driveway you need a lift and low range. My axle is a straight axle not one of those dog leg jobs.

macca

(aka maccayak)
Mar 20, 2012
Victoria
If your axles are drop down type, then check with alko but you cannot rotate them 180 deg as there is an ever so slight bend in the axle. You can only drop them below the axle. Gives you nice amount of lift. Did our 18 expanda. Watch your drop down jacks. Take wood blocks with you because when you are on an incline, they won't reach!

BruceD

Jun 12, 2013
Canberra
Had the axles under slung last week by Jayco Albury when they did the first service and some minor warranty work. their staff were very helpful in helping adjust my hitch etc. Very happy with the extra height, about 90mm. As I had the outback Expanda before I already have blocks of wood for the jacks.

Dingo

Mar 18, 2015
Camden
hi there BruceD what height did you gain mate? And would the height bring it up to the outback height?

BruceD

Jun 12, 2013
Canberra
Hi @Dingo We gained about 80-90mm . Because it wasn't an outback model it doesn't have a pull down step, so we now have to use a portable foldup step. I am currently looking at the options of fitting a pull down step. I like the look of the "Tecno/Nuova Mapa" steps, but don't like the price.

We had an outback Expanda before this Journey and I think this is very close to the same height, definitely makes it easier to get under for repairs etc. As @macca mentions above you will need to carry blocks of wood for the jacks. It is not as high as the new outback models with the new suspension.

Not sure about your model, as @macca mentions if the axle has a bend in it it I believe it cannot be done.

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
To answer your question on what height you would achieve,
1. With your rig level on a flat surface measure from ground to bottom of chassis rail near axle. (Not a spring hangar rail if fitted, chassis only.)
2. Measure the thickness of your spring pack at centre bolt.
3. Measure the size of your axle.

Now, add 2. 1. and 3. together and add the thickness of your spacer, this should give you your new height from which you can work out your hitch etc. It should be between 90 and 100mm, if it isn't your measurement are out.

Your cannot just rotate your axle 180deg, your brakes will be inoperable, refer to my post above on how to move your axle as you need to reposition the spacers in the right spot. Your axle was set originally so you won't scrub out tyres, if you don't position it exactly the same then you will have to get it alighned. Best to replace U bolts and fishplate with new units as they stretch.
You can't do it with overlay axles, thats the ones that have the stub welded on top of the axle.
Twin axles I don't know if moving the axles would upset the spring dynamics.