Underslung axels safe?

Oct 13, 2012
Hi all,
Have just finalised our order for a 17.56-1 with underslung axels. After ordering I was questioned about the safety and security of towing the van with an underslung axel. From all the posts I have read on here I would assume it is safe. My question is, does the underslung axel make any difference to the towing performance of the van? Has anyone had any experience good or bad with a 17ft van with underslung axels? I am a bit worried now about the towing ability. Thanks

macca

(aka maccayak)
Mar 20, 2012
Victoria
Well its still not as high as an outback, slightly higher center of gravity and its done by the factory so I cant see anything to worry about.

expanda

Site Founder
Staff member
Dec 22, 2009
Western, Sydney....
www.expandasdownunder.com
Hi all,
Have just finalised our order for a 17.56-1 with underslung axels. After ordering I was questioned about the safety and security of towing the van with an underslung axel. From all the posts I have read on here I would assume it is safe. My question is, does the underslung axel make any difference to the towing performance of the van? Has anyone had any experience good or bad with a 17ft van with underslung axels? I am a bit worried now about the towing ability. Thanks

Question....

"What would make it unsafe?"

On a personal note and comment if it was unsafe in any way I don't think Jayco would even offer it is an option as they would be open to possible litigation etc.

In terms of height it adds a fair amount of height and it should also give you the larger chasis, step and mud flaps so IMO its a good investment if not going for the oubtack.

The only issue that may come into play is your tow vehicle and getting the van and tow vehicel to sit level but this is easily correctable.

We just did it on our Discovery which is the same chasis as the 17.56.2 and it sits up nice and high so no scraping.

I wouldn't worry about it :)

Matty4

Mar 18, 2011
Wandin North, Vic
No issues...
My 17' OB also has underslung axles, tows very well indeed.

I wouldn't let it worry you at all. The extra clearance across driveways and into some sites will be a godsend for you.