Exterior Under annexe matting

Chriso100

Apr 26, 2020
Rosebud Victoria
Looking for information please. With the matting that is available on the market, what would you suggest for a gravel site in a caravan park? Or, do I just not use any?
Chriso

Boots in Action

Mar 13, 2017
Ferny Grove, Queensland
Looking for information please. With the matting that is available on the market, what would you suggest for a gravel site in a caravan park? Or, do I just not use any?
Chriso

Hi @Chriso100 , most of the matting available are reasonably thick and suit most surfaces from rough concrete to grass to dirt including gravel. If it is only small gravel of loose small stones, it should be okay. I would not be too keen to use it on sharp stones etc like blue metal as although the mat would cover the sharp edges, any areas under pressure may suffer damage, cuts etc. Also, most? caravan parks usually have crusher dust, deco or similar, but there may be some lumps or rocks that need to be raked off.

Reactions: Chriso100

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
I have been using a couple of Aldi mats for a number of years and they are great, grass, gravel or river rocks, wear very well and best of all at half or less than the price of others on the market, the quality is excellant..... As Boots said sharp rocks will slice into most of them..
I fitted eyelets on the corners to put light pegs in to hold it down and carry a plastic rake with shortened handle to sweep up any sticks or big goolleys.

Reactions: Boots in Action

Crusty181

Feb 7, 2010
Mentone, VIC
We've been through just about every mat available, most are generally ok. We've had a CGear mat now for many years, and although the $$$$ is terrifying its is easily the best, most durable, easy to clean, easy to pack mat we've had. Our is about 6 years old now, and seen many campaigns. Theres no ground that it hasnt been on, in fact its been used many times on ground that is painful, even through the mat, to walk on bare foot and still looks the same as it did new. Cgear kinda looks like doubled up shade mesh, although it isnt actually shade mesh. We also have a 1800 x 1200mm of actual doubled up Bunnings shade mesh which I sewed up myself whilst avoiding the Cgear prices. We use the little mat for short stops, to keep the muck out of the van and it's hemmed and corner eyelet'ed ... that mats about 8 years old now and still has plenty of years left in it. We generally wont bother with the big mat for a just a couple of days, but we'll always use the small mat. Kings 4wd have shade mesh mats very cheap, which I use under the swag when I go fishing. They are pretty good, but they can be a little slippery when damp

P1050244.jpg

20180410_175518.jpg