Uluru By Sunrise Freecamp.

Tone

Nov 27, 2014
Warrnambool
A few people here will have used this free camp 10km out of Uluru, it’s a stunning spot to camp instead of the unorganized expensive, only caravan park. Many people camp here with great views of the rock, we loved it and enjoyed it much more than the caravan park. Well it has been shut down completely and people will be fined $1100 as of 6th Oct for using it. What a shame but another way to make people pay for everything.

Reactions: davemc

davemc

Oct 29, 2013
Viewbank, Victoria
www.expandasdownunder.com
that is very sad mate. So many free camps seem to be shutdown by caravan parks.
When we where up there a front end loader blocked off the entrance to the one near King Canyon by accident :)

I say it again that area is so wonderful.
The money hungry resort takes the shine off.
Not like they had too many vans in overflow everynight as it was.

Last edited:
Reactions: Tone

Fabulous

Feb 26, 2013
Melbourne
Didn't think there was any place nearby to free camp. We camped around 50km for a night on our way in, but certainly no views.

Tone

Nov 27, 2014
Warrnambool
A9B14D81-D4B6-47C5-946B-D8E930B3598A.jpeg
View from one of the camp sits. We didn’t get to the top of the dune but some did.

Andre307

May 18, 2016
Adelaide
There was an article in yesterday’s SA newspaper about the government looking for more private investment in national parks. Hope this isn’t a sign of where things are going :(

Crusty181

Feb 7, 2010
Mentone, VIC
people will be fined $1100 as of 6th Oct for using it
I cant type what Im mumbling right now without punching the "F" key through the bottom of the keyboard. $1100 fine for camping, these squeezers need to switch on their moral compass and address the complete lack of management of our spriraling crime. The hordes of turds going through the nations courthouse doors for actual crimes don't get fines that high. We collectively let these monkeys in charge do this crap to us over an over again and the best we do is bleat about it on forums. (not at all directed at you @Tone ;))

There was an article in yesterday’s SA newspaper about the government looking for more private investment in national parks.
I suspect that may have something to do with the bright idea of giving the National Parks away, then renting them back o_O.

Last edited:

Smergen

Jun 8, 2014
Bacchus Marsh
I suspect we might have been one of the last EDU members here, and as @Tone says, it was amazing. A lasting memory of our trip, having a campfire under the stars and awaking to the views of the Rock.

I said to Mrs Smerg's that it would only be a matter of time before they close it down for either a) a $$$ elsewhere or b) because of the freakin' rubbish people leave everwhere there. There was crap all over the first area near the road where those with only 2WD set ups could get to. A simply $10 fee, boom gate access, policed by local people/rangers would be a great little money spinner for those inclined with no to little overheads.

I'm so very glad we got to experience this spot before it was taken.