16' Series Tyre Pressures

renegade

May 7, 2019
sydney
Hi Guy's,

I have just replaced the tyres on my 1649 Expanda Outback with Bridgestone Dueler D697 245 70 16 118R and was wondering what the correct pressure would be.

The compliance plate states 310kpa unloaded and 345kpa loaded.

This is for the original tyres which were 235 75 15 110.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Regards

Peter

mikerezny

Sep 11, 2016
Mount Waverley, VIC
Thanks very much for the info Mike.

Regards

Peter
If you don't know your ATM, you can calculate the tyre pressures using the van TARE on the compliance plate, that sets a minimum pressure. Then do another using the GVM on the compliance plate. That should be about the maximum.

I am sure you will soon get much more practical information from some of the other more experienced forum members.
I am still on my P plates :).

cheers
Mike

renegade

May 7, 2019
sydney
Thanks Mike.

The ATM of the van is 2060kg minus the ball weight of 160kg. Gives me 950kg per tyre.
I have never weighed the van, just going off the info the compliance plate.
Using the link it gives me 322kpa or 47PSI.

Regards

Peter

Reactions: mikerezny

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
Thats a good calculator Mike, easier than doing yourself and it seems to be close to the money...... (posted this yesterday but it didn't happen ) I would just use the GTM figure and then using that pressure see how you go, as stated in the article just check the pressure if it rises 4 - 6 psi your good ...... I've just spent a day or 2 getting the pressures right in my new vehicle and ended up about 2 psi above the recommended pressure.......... While on Big Mal I'm about 2 psi lower.....

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
Mine were at 40, too hard plate said 33 and I'm at about 35 cold, feels good and temp rise is about 4.

Reactions: DRW

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
Well tyre pressure too low equates to tyre pressure increase of 8 psi or more and the tyres will wear on the outer edges while pressure too high the psi hardly increases when hot and the centre of the tyre wears out, tyres will scrub on only outer or inner edges if alignment out or in the case of trailer tyres low pressure will chop inside or outside of the rear axle from turning more so than when high, not to mention out of alignment............. the best way to tell is set pressure cold then check pressure when they are hot, 50 psi for one tyre won't be the same for another tyre due to build and Load Rating.................

Bluey

Mar 31, 2014
Australia
The Ballarat jayco service guy told me 50 psi and the same too low and you run the risk of scrubbing tyres
Mmmmmm seems a bit high to me the blokes at Advantage caravan repaires who did my alighnment said if i remember 38 mite have to ring back to be sure but 50 is very high id reckon

renegade

May 7, 2019
sydney
Hi Bluey,
I see in your profile picture that you have a dual axle van. Do you think that may have been the reason that you were recommended to run 38PSI?
Thanks Peter