16' Series Tyre pressures

Panda19

Jan 20, 2019
Perth
Hi All
First time user. I have an Expanda van and have been using it with tyre pressure at 38 -40 psi. I recently had it serviced and was advised that as they light truck tyres 50 psi was the pressure. They pumped them up to 50 psi and on my last trip out blew two tyres "not happy Jan".
Can anyone please advise what is the most suitable psi . I am about buy new tyres all round and now not sure which is best.
Many thanks in advance

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
We need to know what sort of van ???? Tyre size ?????

Basically what is good one van isn't the same for another, tyre type, brand, size and load rating all play a role in tyre pressure.

The standard tyre that comes with vans is usually cheap when replacing them go with a known good quality brand, so no Chinese rubbish, you need a good tyre that will last the tyre life of 5-6 years, they have a hard life, not many Kms travelled, and sitting around more often than not.

So a good quality tyre in the size required, a light truck tyre (LT) is a must, not an XT and one that has a Load Rating that is at least a hundred kgs higher than half your van weight (for single axles), you don't need an off road chunky tyre, it is a lazy axle so no need for the super traction tread a mild ATR is better as it won't get chewed.

https://caravanchronicles.com/guides/calculate-the-correct-tyre-pressure-for-your-caravan/
this link should be of some help, of course the pressure you come up with is really a start off point and adjust from there.

Reactions: Marv_mart

Panda19

Jan 20, 2019
Perth
Cheers greatly appreciated for this info . I now know what to look for. My last tyres were the originals so may have been the reason they blew once pressure increased More than 6 years old albeit had good thread and looked new.
Thanks

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
Tyres only have a 5-6 yr life then the chance of failure increases dramatically, they may look great but inside they start to rot..................the Bob Jane site actually has some good tyre info as well......safe travelling.