TV Mount

Mike7

Nov 10, 2011
Hi all,

Have an expanda 16-49-3B and wanted to put a TV mounted on the wall immediately after the window on the left of the door, the small wall space between the window and where the bed begins if you know what I mean.

How do I locate a "stud" on the inside of the wall to screw the mount to. I would like it as solid as possible so I can leave the TV on the mount when traveling as the mount is designed to do that.

Cheers
Mike

Tailor

Jun 2, 2012
Newport Qld
Hi Mike7,

There is a thread on this forum somewhere, but I'm not sure where, which considers this problem. There is apparently nothing in the wall which will support a TV, so it requires another method. I copied the one I preferred, which used a 30x70mm piece of pine, which I got from Bunnings. Only had to buy 1 metre. Painted it, and screwed it to the side of the top and bottom cupboard. Also sikaflexed it to the wall. Had a copuple of trips with it, and it works well. Can see the TV from either end of the van, and anywhere else.

I also had to move one power point and install a double on the side of the lower cupboard as the plugs for the TV will not work with the existing outlet. This is the reason for the third photo.

IMG_0366.JPG

IMG_0367.JPG

IMG_0368.JPG

Ran off a couple of quick pics to give you the idea. Sorry I can't take any credit for the design which I think is a beauty. Hope this helps.

Mike7

Nov 10, 2011
G'day Tailor, thanks for the reply and posting the pics. Very neat job. Did you have to peal the wallpaper off before sikaflexing the timber onto the wall?

Cheers
Mike

Deano

Aug 10, 2011
Bargara, Qld
Spoke to one of the guys at the dealer, they suggested we do the following. He gave us a piece of cupboard we screwed that with sikaflex and let settle for 24hrs. Then screwed the mount on. Has not been any drama or stress when travelling. We wedge the TV between the canvas whilst travelling.
Cheers Deano

2d7ff32a.jpg
d74827fa.jpg
e83a5c60.jpg
IMG_3725.jpg

Mike7

Nov 10, 2011
Thanx for the post Deano, did the dealer say its strong enought to keep the tv mounted while under way?

Cheers
Mike

Deano

Aug 10, 2011
Bargara, Qld
Thanx for the post Deano, did the dealer say its strong enought to keep the tv mounted while under way?

Cheers
Mike

Hi Mike, the dealer never mentioned anything further and I never asked. To date we have been on a few trips and all appears fine. We wedge the Tv wrapped in towel up between the folded up canvas when we travel. Works for us.
Cheers Deano

Mike7

Nov 10, 2011
Thanks for the info Deano, a lot of good ideas here. Thanks everyone.

Cheers
Ike

straydingo

Jul 4, 2011
Melbourne
Deano, Is it still just screwed/glued to the face of the wall? Or through the wall or anything? Other than spreading the load further out on the wall, why would it be better than simply bolting the bracket direct to the wall?
Andrew

Deano

Aug 10, 2011
Bargara, Qld
Hey Andrew, the piece of cupboard in the previous picture is Sikaflexed and then has a heavy duty screw right into the wall. Then the mount was applied to the cupboard piece. The Alan bolts went through the piece of cupboard into the wall of the van.
Sikaflex settled for 24hrs.
The dealer suggested to put the piece of cupboard there, I guess for extra strength.
Hope this helps.
Cheers Deano