Truma E2400 Gas Heater advice ?

kolega

Jan 16, 2012
Hi Folks just wondering if anyone has installed a TrumaE2400 gas or deasel heater in a 17.56.2 expanda.

Where did you locate the heater & Outlets ?

Should I go for Single or Twin Outlets?

I am think of doing the installation myseld as it looks easy enough and then getting a Licensed Plumber to do the Gas connection and new compliance Certificate.

zerosecta

Sep 27, 2011
Melbourne
Hi Mate,

I haven't installed one in my expanda yet but did one in the outback swan I owned previously. I was a single outlet gas option and Highly regard them - We have it on the list of thing to do at some stage for sure. Did the install my self and it is very, very easy . you could even run the gas lines and just get the plumber to do the connection.

It would get our Camper warm in no time and we would leave it over over night to, because its got a thermostat in the control it just cycles on and off during the night\day to keep the van the same temp.

Only bit of advice would be to install the control at about wist level or just a bit higher - This is because it has the temp sensor in it - To high and the unit will switch off to early thinking the van is warmed up - To Low and it never never turn off because it will also be fairly cool at knee level due to the door vents etc.

Cheers

achjimmy

Jan 24, 2011
getting a good price on them seems to be the trick. if you you want to comply you need to get an australian delivered model as they add another circuit and something else to comply with Aust regs. Bushman got a resonable price on them from somewhere.

bully66672

Jun 30, 2011
Melbourne
Price seems to reasonably consistent.
eBay seems to be the cheapest I have seen.
I think 2 outlets would be the go in the 17 foot models.
There are some pics floating around of an install under the seat in the battery compartment.

Cheers

zerosecta

Sep 27, 2011
Melbourne
I paid 1300 for mine for a mod called cfw on eBay they are based in Sydney and a Dometic distributor\service center so expect that they will be aus compliant..

achjimmy

Jan 24, 2011
$1300 seems okay, was that everything for a single outlet? Does the kit include inlet ducting or is that optional given it doesnt need it for all installs.

yeah i would imagine any Australian seller would have to sell 'complied" models. the pain with the 16:49-3 seems to be the window locations as i was trying to avoid fitting a overide switch.

zerosecta

Sep 27, 2011
Melbourne
It was for a single kit and the only thing it doesn't include that you will need to get is a female flare nut for attaching the gas. Pipe to the unit.

Bushman

Forum Moderator
Staff member
Nov 9, 2010
Wollondilly Shire NSW
I was quoted between 2000 and 2500 supply and fit,, the trick in a 16-49-3 is have the unit located close as possible to a gas supply and near a wall for the external vent, while nothing was confirm as yet because we've heald off having it done, thought was to place the unit in cupboard under the rear bed and have the internal outlet between the internal stereo speakers that are low down also in that cupbaord.

Attachments

• 11092010222.jpg
    11092010222.jpg
    37 KB · Views: 550

Billrw136

Jun 20, 2011
North Rothbury
I was quoted between 2000 and 2500 supply and fit,, the trick in a 16-49-3 is have the unit located close as possible to a gas supply and near a wall for the external vent, while nothing was confirm as yet because we've heald off having it done, thought was to place the unit in cupboard under the rear bed and have the internal outlet between the internal stereo speakers that are low down also in that cupbaord.

In our 16-49-3 I am going to fit it under the seat at the front of the van next to the wall - gas line runs near here plus power supply nearby - we are lucky as son's father-in-law is a plumber/gas fitter who will do the job (family rates!) We just have to save the money for the unit! Next Winter sounds good.

achjimmy

Jan 24, 2011
In our 16-49-3 I am going to fit it under the seat at the front of the van next to the wall - gas line runs near here plus power supply nearby - we are lucky as son's father-in-law is a plumber/gas fitter who will do the job (family rates!) We just have to save the money for the unit! Next Winter sounds good.

Hi Bill do you have the dinette or the lounge front?

Hey Bushman would that mean you would have the inlet and outlet side by side?

Zero do they blow the air out with reasonable force? Because if they do this solution might work for me. I am trying to place it someplace where the outlet won't blow straight back into the inlet return (remembering there is a low pressure return flow at the inlet return drawing air back in)

achjimmy

Jan 24, 2011
Ok now you have me thinking, back to the drawing board I think, guess have to talk to the installer when time comes

Mate doesn't mean it won't work, you just don't want to create a situation where the airflow "short circuits" . Airflow engineering and mangement is very involved, I have a mate who is right into it, so theres no guessing what he'll be doing for me. I just need to get him a drawing of the van. I reckon your spot is perfect for the outlet(s) as it will push air down the middle of the van, rising as it goes. Just not sure the return should be there. But I reckon it's always going to be a compromise in the expandas. I will let you know.

zerosecta

Sep 27, 2011
Melbourne
Have the hot air outlet and vent as close to the center of iether the front or back of the van, blowing lenth ways down the center. As far as the in let go's, don't stress to much about it, all I would do is not attach any pipe to it, just one of the supplied grates, then put a nice big hole as close to floor level as possible (to inside of van) and cover it with a loovered panel. The heater will then thruogh hot air right down the center of the van and draw cool air in from the cavity it is installed in - whether it be under a seat or bottom of cupboard etc.

With the gas heaters you don't need to be overly concerned about the in and out being to close together because the thermostat is in the control unit that you will install well away from both...
The diesel heaters on the other hand have the thermostats built into the unit itself so it determines whether to cramp up or take it easy by the temp of the inlet air, so clearly much more consideration would need to be given to placement here.

achjimmy

Jan 24, 2011
thanks Zero thats good to know about the thermostat, the aussie models only have a single speed is that correct? I'll still be trying not to let it "short cycle" as it will be more efficent.

Billrw136

Jun 20, 2011
North Rothbury
Hi Bill do you have the dinette or the lounge front?

Hey Bushman would that mean you would have the inlet and outlet side by side?

Zero do they blow the air out with reasonable force? Because if they do this solution might work for me. I am trying to place it someplace where the outlet won't blow straight back into the inlet return (remembering there is a low pressure return flow at the inlet return drawing air back in)

Jim - we have the dinette - so perfect spot under seat......

Cheers

Bill

achjimmy

Jan 24, 2011
I don't know how my reply ended up a blog but here goes again.

Well the cold wet winter and the added popularity seems to have inflated their value some. Given the euro has tanked in the last year considerably the best pricing I can find on these is $1450.

macca

(aka maccayak)
Mar 20, 2012
Victoria
They are expensive, just make sure you buy an Australian compliant one. They only have a limited market, hence the price. Seems funny but you could buy a ducted heater to heat a 26sq house for the same price.

Geoff

achjimmy

Jan 24, 2011
They are expensive, just make sure you buy an Australian compliant one. They only have a limited market, hence the price. Seems funny but you could buy a ducted heater to heat a 26sq house for the same price.

Geoff

thanks Geoff, yes i am aware there is an Australian compliant model it has some differences. whats pissing me off is that the euro has devalued heaps and based on what Zero piad last year they should be like $1100.