14' Series Truma Avetna Air Conditioner stopped working

Headingoutdoors

Nov 29, 2018
Brisbane
Afternoon all and Merry Christmas.

Need a little help with the aircon.

We were running the Aircon for about 3 hours and it’s all of a sudden went “ping” and completely stopped. It’s completely unresponsive, no lights, nothing...

I’ve pulled it apart as one of the other members suggested and had a look at the ceramic fuse, its appears white (no obvious signs of being blown). I don’t have a spare fuse. I have ordered some online but they could take a while this time of year to get to me. (If anyone knows where I could get on in Brisvegas that would be awesome?).

My question is, by looking at that fuse, could you tell if its blown or not?

Does anyone have any other ideas of what it could be? I’ve eliminated all other potential issues I.e. tried different power lead and PowerPoint etc.

Any ideas?

Bluey

Mar 31, 2014
Australia
My remote stoped working last year got another one all good system wouldnt turn on i got another one from a jayco dealer after i stacked on a turn he sold me on out of another van no one stocks them either

Headingoutdoors

Nov 29, 2018
Brisbane
My remote stoped working last year got another one all good system wouldnt turn on i got another one from a jayco dealer after i stacked on a turn he sold me on out of another van no one stocks them either

Thanks Bluey, I’m pretty sure it’s not the remote judging by the way it went off. It’s some sort of electrical trip.

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
A multi meter would check if the fuse has gone, if in a camp ask around as someone may have one and know how to use it, if blown it could be a one off, if it blows a new one then you will need a AC mechanic. Hail damage can get you a whole new unit but its a bit drastic.

Reactions: Headingoutdoors

GJMitchell

Oct 31, 2017
Brisbane
Hi Headingoutdoors, without hijacking your thread how do you access the fuse? Just got back from a weekend trip and when the wife went to start the air con (same model) it wouldn't work. No response from the remote so tried a re-sync with the unit, but nothing. Tried the manual over ride switch on the unit and nothing. Like it's got no power at all. Have pulled the filters off and found where the 240V was connected to the harness and checked with a multimeter. It's getting power. Have checked the connector to the IR receiver and it looks to be plugged in also. Next thing I could see to check was the fuse shown on the main circuit board on the spare parts diagram. Do you undo the 6 screws holding the inside panel onto the roof and access the circuit board from underneath? Or do you access it from the top outside the van?

Failing this, next step will be finding a Truma/Dometic service centre.

Thanks in advance.

Headingoutdoors

Nov 29, 2018
Brisbane
Hi Headingoutdoors, without hijacking your thread how do you access the fuse? Just got back from a weekend trip and when the wife went to start the air con (same model) it wouldn't work. No response from the remote so tried a re-sync with the unit, but nothing. Tried the manual over ride switch on the unit and nothing. Like it's got no power at all. Have pulled the filters off and found where the 240V was connected to the harness and checked with a multimeter. It's getting power. Have checked the connector to the IR receiver and it looks to be plugged in also. Next thing I could see to check was the fuse shown on the main circuit board on the spare parts diagram. Do you undo the 6 screws holding the inside panel onto the roof and access the circuit board from underneath? Or do you access it from the top outside the van?

Failing this, next step will be finding a Truma/Dometic service centre.

Thanks in advance.

Ok, not sure what model you have and actually not 100% sure what model I have but its a 2016 Truma Roof mounted van.
Everything is accessed from the inside.

##Make sure you are not plugged into the main and all other circuits are off##

1. Pull the filters off which exp[oses 6 Hex screws to remove the internal grey main panel.
2. Once loose, there’s a small red wire harness clip you will need to detach.
3. You will see a black plastic box held in by two screws.
4. Remove the screws and then slide the black box out.
5. You will find 3 torx screws holdoing that together, undo those screws which opens up the housing.
6. Inside there you will see the motherboard with an obvious ceramic looking fuse.
I assume that’s whe your after.

I’ve ordered another fuse and will install the new one when it arrives tomorrow. Fingers crossed that will sort of out.

I’ve also bought a 15a surge protector to, hopefully, prevent it form happening again.

Let me know how you go.

Reactions: GJMitchell

GJMitchell

Oct 31, 2017
Brisbane
Yes, mine is the same model. Truma Aventa.

What you describe is what I thought would be the process, and makes sense after looking closely into the guts of the panel through the filter openings. Will give it a crack later today when it cools down and let you know how it goes.

Headingoutdoors

Nov 29, 2018
Brisbane
Yes, mine is the same model. Truma Aventa.

What you describe is what I thought would be the process, and makes sense after looking closely into the guts of the panel through the filter openings. Will give it a crack later today when it cools down and let you know how it goes.

Have you got a spare fuse? If so where did you buy one?

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
Is this the fuse ?????? https://www.caravansplus.com.au/fuse-suit-truma-aventa-saphir-air-conditoners-p-17401.html

e-40091-81500-Fuse-Aventa-Saphir-caravans-plus-spare-parts-accessories-RVl.jpg

if so here's some drawings.........https://www.caravansplus.com.au/spa...-roof-top-air-conditioner-1-of-2-p-15436.html

GJMitchell

Oct 31, 2017
Brisbane

Yes Drover, that's the one. But I found a much cheaper version from Jaycar: https://www.jaycar.com.au/m205-cermaic-slow-blow-fuse-6-3a/p/SF2119

$1.45 in stock at Jaycar, rather than $4.35 + $9.30 shipping plus shipping time... So if you have a local Jaycar just ask for a SF2119. Picked 2 up today.

Anyway, have installed new fuse and turned unit on. Blower fans started working but didn't hear the compressor kick in. Then after 30-60sec fuse blew again. So looks like I might have a stalled compressor motor or other fault related to the compressor.

So next step looks to be remove top cover from outside unit and see if there is anything obvious jamming or upsetting the compressor motor or condenser blower (could only hear and feel the evaporator blower so can't confirm if condenser blower was working outside). Does anyone know how to get the cover off the outside unit??? Got on the roof and had a close look and could see where the two halves of the polystyrene case joined (yes the main body of the unit is polystyrene...), and could see that they weren't glued as there was some small movement between the two parts. But for the life of me couldn't work out how to separate them. Couldn't see any fasteners or anything... Didn't want to pull on it too hard as it is polystyrene after all. Does anyone have any suggestions? The spare parts diagram shows they come apart but doesn't offer any clues on how...

Thanks

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
Jaycar or any Lecko shop as they are a standard fuse, shape and rating is the key not so much the look.......can't help with pulling the shroud off sadly......I was thinking though probably the usual push on plastic studs holding.......condenser, motor short the possibilities are numerous down to a crappy connector, so really a strip and clean or AC mechanic, $2K for a new unit.
That tree branch in a storm that took out the AC and roof hatch might have caused it.........plenty of trees up here if needed.

Mind you, Polystyrene ???? Goodness me that us interesting......a spray with aerogaurd for ants could manage an insurance claim then....

I actually have a couple of them in my spare fuse box collection, wonder if my new Ibis uses them, don't want to find put ad I would be slightly annoyed.

Last edited:

Headingoutdoors

Nov 29, 2018
Brisbane
Update on mine. Got a Multimeter, tested the fuse, all Ok. Replaced it with a new one just to be sure (had to to something), still nothing.
No light, or any other form of response with the aircon.

So on that note, can anyone refer me to a mobile Truma repair agent in Brisbane Southside?

Much appreciated.

GJMitchell

Oct 31, 2017
Brisbane
Got the shroud off the unit today. You have to unbolt it from the roof and then there are 7 screws you access from the underside which hold the two halves together.

Once apart had a good look but there were no obstructions to the blowers and no build up of crap that could cause any issues. Compressor/motor unit is a sealed unit (as expected) so nothing I could check there. So put the second fuse in and started it up again. Compressor didn't kick in so turned it off before the fuse went. Played around cycling it between heat and cold but compressor still not kicking in. Finally on about the 5th time compressor kicked in. So have put it all back together now and will have my fingers crossed. May be the compressor on the way out... Got it to start again with a bit of on and off and have left the unit on for the moment to give it a good run. Will see how we go next trip towards the end of the month...

Reactions: Bluey and Drover

ralgam

Jul 12, 2019
Tawonga
I am new to the forum, have read with interest previously about replacement of ceramic fuse for Truman Scents air con. Your post was most helpful. I now find I need to remove the outercover to remove mud wasps nests from the vents. Can anyone assist with the procedure

ralgam

Jul 12, 2019
Tawonga
Got the shroud off the unit today. You have to unbolt it from the roof and then there are 7 screws you access from the underside which hold the two halves together.

Once apart had a good look but there were no obstructions to the blowers and no build up of crap that could cause any issues. Compressor/motor unit is a sealed unit (as expected) so nothing I could check there. So put the second fuse in and started it up again. Compressor didn't kick in so turned it off before the fuse went. Played around cycling it between heat and cold but compressor still not kicking in. Finally on about the 5th time compressor kicked in. So have put it all back together now and will have my fingers crossed. May be the compressor on the way out... Got it to start again with a bit of on and off and have left the unit on for the moment to give it a good run. Will see how we go next trip towards the end of the month...

GJMitchell

Oct 31, 2017
Brisbane
Hi Ralgam,

Welcome to the forum.

To get the outside covers off you need to unmount the unit from the roof and flip it over to access the cover screws from the underside. With the unit mounted to the roof you can't get to these screws as they are obscured by the roof itself.

1. From the inside of your van remove the 2 filters from the sides of the unit to expose the inside panel mounting screws.
2. Remove the 6 screws that hold the inside panel to the roof and lower it down. You then have to unplug the harness before being able to take it all the way off.
3. From memory you should now see looking up from the inside 4 (or 6?) screws and a frame that clamp the outside unit down to the roof. Undo these screw and remove the frame.
4 From the outside you should now be able to lift the unit off the roof and tip it over to get access to the 7 screws that hold the 2 halves of the outer shell together.

To put it all together just the reverse. Make sure to give the roof area around where the unit sits on the outside a good clean. I found a lot of crud built up against the seal area that needed to be cleaned off to ensure a good seal.

Grant