TAS trip planning thats about all we are allowed to do at present

poor but proud

Aug 25, 2018
redlands
she who must be obeyed has requested a trip to Tassie in 22 or 23 depending how the lockdowns progress, we would be going Brisvagas to cunnamulla , Bourke the full length of the Kidman way (B87) then the Newell (A39) to Jerilderie, from then i am on untravelled roads ,any suggestions on a caravan friendly way into Melbourne and the ferry terminal ,if we get to go it will be the overnight ferry so would want to to get to the terminal afternoon so we dont have to find somewhere in the CBD to park up, i know the country way is longer but have family to visit along the Kidman Way,

poor but proud

Aug 25, 2018
redlands
thats good to know, i am a bit iffey about all the CBD tunnels and bridges ETC, i still drive aged care buses around brissie and the tunnels give me the vapours, as GPS does not work underground ,at least Gelong has somewhere to park up

Last edited:

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
My survey for such a trip had me launching thru Melb on a Sunday, easier than a weekday but using paper map to make sure the GPS doesn't lead me astray, my notes show me approaching from Melton ( visiting rellies ??) use Western Freeway to M1 over Westgate then W5 exit to Todds Rd then beach Rd, follow nose which means signs....... price has scared us off from doing it, need smaller rig.......
Note to self: mark @Bluey as a lay over spot and plot new course, nice straight road from the swamps.................

Reactions: Bluey

poor but proud

Aug 25, 2018
redlands
My survey for such a trip had me launching thru Melb on a Sunday, easier than a weekday but using paper map to make sure the GPS doesn't lead me astray, my notes show me approaching from Melton ( visiting rellies ??) use Western Freeway to M1 over Westgate then W5 exit to Todds Rd then beach Rd, follow nose which means signs....... price has scared us off from doing it, need smaller rig.......
Note to self: mark @Bluey as a lay over spot and plot new course, nice straight road from the swamps.................
good point to plan to get on the ferry on a sunday, bye the way, ferry website says they are changing to Geelong in 2022, but no other time frame listed

Reactions: Drover

Crusty181

Feb 7, 2010
Mentone, VIC
she who must be obeyed has requested a trip to Tassie in 22 or 23 depending how the lockdowns progress, we would be going Brisvagas to cunnamulla , Bourke the full length of the Kidman way (B87) then the Newell (A39) to Jerilderie, from then i am on untravelled roads ,any suggestions on a caravan friendly way into Melbourne and the ferry terminal ,if we get to go it will be the overnight ferry so would want to to get to the terminal afternoon so we dont have to find somewhere in the CBD to park up, i know the country way is longer but have family to visit along the Kidman Way,
No tunnels btw the Newell and the boat, be a pretty easy and straight forward run. Hwy and Fwy most of the way, only the last 2 or 3 km through the suburban streets of Port Melb. Easy Peasy

Bluey

Mar 31, 2014
Australia
No worries youll be driveing past 5 mins from my house comming from melton on the ring road road 39 the newel Starts at Altona on the beach road i have driven the whole thing you can too if you leave you get trapped in our next big lockdown see you soon

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
Geelong would be good, I wonder if it would cut the transit time out of Port Phillip ????

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
If you here during a lock down traffics pretty good but its not too bad as long as there's no accidents or flat tyres

:biggrin-new::biggrin-new::biggrin-new::biggrin-new::biggrin-new:....... I was meaning transit time for the ship to get from Geelong and thru The Rip, compared to from Station Pier....... but coming in from the west or NW to Geelong would certainly be better than thru Melbourne....

Bluey

Mar 31, 2014
Australia
:biggrin-new::biggrin-new::biggrin-new::biggrin-new::biggrin-new:....... I was meaning transit time for the ship to get from Geelong and thru The Rip, compared to from Station Pier....... but coming in from the west or NW to Geelong would certainly be better than thru Melbourne....
Im not sure mate have you seen the price to put a car on the ferry let alone a van as well if i know you you'd drive the long way cause its bloody expensive

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
Im not sure mate have you seen the price to put a car on the ferry let alone a van as well if i know you you'd drive the long way cause its bloody expensive
Hence the reason I haven't visited Tassie yet, if I could get a big enough snorkel I'm sure the Jeep could manage the other way........... :biggrin-new: :biggrin-new: :biggrin-new: ........ last I looked the Colorado and Big Mal was going to be 2 grand so I decided to wait for the bridge to be built.............

Bluey

Mar 31, 2014
Australia
Hence the reason I haven't visited Tassie yet, if I could get a big enough snorkel I'm sure the Jeep could manage the other way........... :biggrin-new: :biggrin-new: :biggrin-new: ........ last I looked the Colorado and Big Mal was going to be 2 grand so I decided to wait for the bridge to be built.............
I ment the ferry from point lonsdale across the bay to sorrento bloody expensive

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
I ment the ferry from point lonsdale across the bay to sorrento bloody expensive
Friends at Rosebud would use that for their tug and van when heading to SA, they reckon when we visited them to come in from the west and use it........... No thanks, thats a lot of diesel I could buy.

Crusty181

Feb 7, 2010
Mentone, VIC
They will build the Jardin River bridge before that one and we all know that will never happen. :boink:
If you have a Troopy, no need for a bridge or ferry to cross the Jardine ... just maybe a wetsuit

FB_IMG_1628496024425~01.jpg

Last edited:

Crusty181

Feb 7, 2010
Mentone, VIC
If you dont take ferry over to Tassie, the last 2mtrs of the bridge cant be finished

poor but proud

Aug 25, 2018
redlands
infomation so far ferry terminal is supposed to open in Geelong feb 2023, costs are broken into three groups, A vehicle and van B passanger fares C accomidation ,so for a vehicle and van 13 mtrs in total 2 senior fares, 1 day crossing and 1 night crossing with cabin accomidation ,booked in advance comes to $1947. if booked on short notice extra $600. the locals say march,april,may are the best times to visit, and to do the place justice 10 to 12 weeks to see and do , in our minds the ferry cost is partly offset by the smaller distances you would travel so less fuel costs , etc. also shorter distances will allow us to set up in one place for longer and do more day trips, the ferry company take bookings up to 11 months in advance, but to go there at present is a nightmare with covid regulations and being in or travelling through hotspots

Last edited:

poor but proud

Aug 25, 2018
redlands
infomation so far ferry terminal is supposed to open in Geelong feb 2023, costs are broken into three groups, A vehicle and van B passanger fares C accomidation ,so for a vehicle and van 13 mtrs in total 2 senior fares, 1 day crossing and 1 night crossing with cabin accomidation ,booked in advance comes to $1947. if booked on short notice extra $600. the locals say march,april,may are the best times to visit, and to do the place justice 10 to 12 weeks to see and do , in our minds the ferry cost is partly offset by the smaller distances you would travel so less fuel costs , etc. also shorter distances will allow us to set up in one place for longer and do more day trips, the ferry company take bookings up to 11 months in advance, but to go there at present is a nightmare with covid regulations and being in or travelling through hotspots
so far on paper we are looking at $8,000 to $10,000 for this trip and that includes fuel at todays cost, and that is not including any number of paid tours you may want to do $ ?????, fuel home to Geelong and return $1600 ferry to Tassie $2000 , camp fees 84 days average $20 a day $1680, fuel tassie $1000, fishing permit ,national parks permit, shopping for gifts, repairs food ,entertainment, the list goes on . i may have to change my user name to "poor and destitute"

Last edited:
  • Haha

poor but proud

Aug 25, 2018
redlands
so far on paper we are looking at $8,000 to $10,000 for this trip and that includes fuel at todays cost, and that is not including any number of paid tours you may want to do $ ?????, fuel home to Geelong and return $1600 ferry to Tassie $2000 , camp fees 84 days average $20 a day $1680, fuel tassie $1000, fishing permit ,national parks permit, shopping for gifts, repairs food ,entertainment, the list goes on . i may have to change my user mane to "poor and destitute"
OMG that does not even include BOOZE,