Alldigital

May 24, 2020
Adelaide
Hi all i have atoyota aurion which a 1600 tow capacity

toyota tare weight 1480
Gvm 2100
Gcm3700

Van details tare weight 920 kg 1991 jayco classic
My question am i legal and how many kilos pay load is left at safe level please im sonfused by it all ne help would be appreviated please note i have called the van a hawk because i could not find the classic heading again thank u

millers

Mar 25, 2011
Adelaide
@Alldigital have a search through here for some of the towing discussions, for the details. here is a link to one of the web pages with picture that may help you understand some of the terms used : https://www.campsaustraliawide.com/caravan-tow-vehicle-towing-capacity/

The legality is up to you, with the figures being:

GVM - Tare gives car load capacity

2100 - 1480 = 620kg

Note that tare is empty car, no people, not full of fuel, no add ons, no luggage and must include the towball weight of caravan.

GCM in this case is GVM + tow capacity (3700 = 2100 + 1600) so unless there are other restriction with tow ball weight etc one does not limit the other.

Van payload or gross mass should be stamped on the van, if old enough not to have it, I am not sure of legalities.

The gross weight of the caravan cannot exceed 1600 for your car.

This means that the van payload can not exceed 1600 - 920. That is 680 kg.

Again note that Tare for a van is empty. No water, gas, added accesories, food, clothes etc.

Also note that the van (to be towed by this car) must be under 1600 and also under the gross trailer mass (GTM) stamped on the van (if it exists). So if the GTM is lower than 1600 than you need to be under that value. If it is over you can not go over 1600.

Also note the requirement for brakes in your state. I suggest that you use the diagram in the link and written in the details and do the calculations. This will help you determine the legalities and margins that you have.

Alldigital

May 24, 2020
Adelaide
Thank u after rining 5 jayco dealers finally spoke to very knowledgeable lady at horsham jayco gave her all the info she knew that the aurion gvm was better than some so called uts on the market today and arrived at a figure 2 adults one child full tank in the car left me with 450 kilos in the van its of note im doing all this because i have to drive from adelaide to pick up the empty va so imtrying to my due dilligence when i get home i should my fairlane all fitted up with a far greater payload nb the dealer also said the hydraulic braking system would be ok to bring home the van empty i can only act on the dealers advice thank u for looking at my post

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
While any trailer over 750kgs needs to be braked, under 2t override brakes are okay BUT using them on a van can be dicey if they aren't adjusted properly, they only operate once you have started braking your car and momentum forces the hitch to move and apply the brakes...... depending on the van set up if it has electric brakes then you will have to fit a unit to your car as it won't have overrides, fitting electric brakes later to van later would require replacement of the complete wheel hubs,including backing plates and bearings, possibly axle but not usually......

Lo and behold found a post on the site about it.........https://www.expandasdownunder.com/threads/toyota-aurion-1600kg.9037/
and while it applies to a heavier rig it does have some good base lines.

Excerpt from a post:
Your car has Max towing capacity/ball: 1600kg/160kg
What you need to know is the Kerb weight of car, GVM (Gross Vehicle Mass) and GCM (Gross Combination Mass)
The GCM is the max you can go with van and car plus Tow Ball Mass. (yes it is doubled up)
Looking on Toyota's website
Tare Weight 1480
GVM 2100 So Payload 620.
GCM 3700 (At least it has the full 1600 a few utes do not :) )
The Payload of 620
minus towball mass 160
minus towball 20
minus Weight Dist Hitch 30
minus fuel 70
Leaves you 280kg for people and crap in the car if you want to run the van empty.