Towing with a Triton

MolongMick

Oct 6, 2011
NSW
HI there everyone,

Just throwing this one out there. I noticed that Mistubishi is having a sale on their Tritons, with $11k off their GLR range, taking them down to $40k drive away with diff lock and all airbags.

Does anyone here tow with or know of people who tow with the Triton.

I would like all feedback, good and bad.

The price and fuel consumption along with their 5/10 year warranty has me looking seriously at changing.

relgate

Superstar
Staff member
Feb 2, 2012
Sydney, NSW
Don't know about towing Mick but have you checked on towing capacity of the triton?

•2.5L High Power turbo diesel
•3 tonne towing capacity
•Easy Select 4WD, 16" alloys wheels
•Sports bar, Side steps
•Bluetooth© connectivity
•5 speed manual
•Cruise Control
•Active Stability Control
•Active Traction Control

Looks the goods to me!

MolongMick

Oct 6, 2011
NSW
•2.5L High Power turbo diesel
•3 tonne towing capacity
•Easy Select 4WD, 16" alloys wheels
•Sports bar, Side steps
•Bluetooth© connectivity
•5 speed manual
•Cruise Control
•Active Stability Control
•Active Traction Control

Looks the goods to me!

That's the one, plus the tyres are same as on the van, I think. and 300kg down weight on the towbar.

cruza driver

Hercules
Staff member
Nov 9, 2010
Mighty Victoria
Hey Mick it sure is hard to overlook Mitsubishi's warranty too

Bigman and Deano have Tritons so I'm sure they'll be able to answer your questions.

(Sorry if I forgot anyone else)

Reactions: MolongMick

relgate

Superstar
Staff member
Feb 2, 2012
Sydney, NSW
I went and had a look at one today. I saw the GLR. Sorry to say that it looked pretty basic on the dash, but I guess it would be at that price point. I'm also not in love with the look, but that is pure opinion and open to change at any moment! :)

Specs look good though. I didnt get a chance to drive and that is where it really counts. Have you driven one Mick?

cruza driver

Hercules
Staff member
Nov 9, 2010
Mighty Victoria
I love mine, it tows well, and its also very capable offroad too. The only reasons why we want to upgrade is that 1:Kids are getting bigger 2:Ours is a 07 and can only tow 2.5T.
I usually tow at or around 110kph except for hills of course.

I saw this Triton in action in the Vic High Country this weekend and it towed the 17' up the climb out of the campground with ease :tea:

Trip report to come too!! Now :focus:

Triton

Aug 4, 2011
Moama, NSW
Mick,
Very happy with my GLX-R Triton - no trouble at all with mine. Towed van to Yamba and back earlier this year, averaged around 15L/100km.
Not sure about the GLR though.

Deano

Aug 10, 2011
Bargara, Qld
Yes, we too are very happy with the Triton. We have a GLX-R Auto. It tows the 17.56.2 no probs. You still have to get a run up for the hills. The van prob weighs 2.7 tonne. The Hayman Reese is a big help for stability. Run 38 PSI in all tyres with the WDH.
Diesel consumption is about 16Ltr / 100 on average.
Thinking of putting a mandrel Hurricane exhaust on for better performance too.
The GLR would be fine, it just has less bling.
Cheers Deano

MolongMick

Oct 6, 2011
NSW
Thanks for that everyone, I plan to take one for a drive on Wednesday. I can't justify the extra $7k to got to the GLXR, for what I consider to be niceties, not necessities. I do like the many standard features included in the Triton, and must say I do miss the extra storage one gets from having a dual cab ute. The fuel consumption at the figure you have quoted is about 4l/100km less than what I am getting with my Patrol, so that is a saving. The room in the back might be a concern as the kids get older, but I mange to fit in the back and I am just under 2m tall, so I not really concerned with that at the moment.

I will see how the test drive goes on Wednesday and let you all know.

NissPat

Jul 30, 2011
ACT
Mick..one word..NNNOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!! hahahaha

Mate, I towed 1.5t trailer full of wood over the Brindabellas last weekend in the GLR 2WD. It was rough and steep and the Triton handled the terrain and weight without any problems.
Can't tell you how much fuel I used but it was not much going by the gauge.

On the black stuff I hardly noticed anything on the back....

...but its a Triton not a Troll mate :)

MolongMick

Oct 6, 2011
NSW
Mick..one word..NNNOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!! hahahaha

Mate, I towed 1.5t trailer full of wood over the Brindabellas last weekend in the GLR 2WD. It was rough and steep and the Triton handled the terrain and weight without any problems.
Can't tell you how much fuel I used but it was not much going by the gauge.

On the black stuff I hardly noticed anything on the back....

...but its a Triton not a Troll mate :)

Yeah thanks for that Kris,
I'm not real impressed with the fuel consumption of the troll, last trip was a round 20l/100km and I was only travelling at about 90km/hr.
I haven't made up my mind yet, but the price is too good to pass up, plus I get more storage in the back for the kids crap.

D4Dazz

Dec 31, 2011
Rowville, VIC
G'day Mick

I have a 2010 Challenger with the same 2.5ltr engine and a 5spd manual. Before that I had a 120 Prado D4D 6spd Manual and there is no comparison. The Challenger is a dog to tow with. Similar specs, however the peak torque is created way to high in the rev range, up aroung 2000rpm. You dont want to get stuck at a red light on a hill with the van on. This is obviously just my opinion of coarse.

I bought the Challenger on price and value for money, which mad it a good buy. And dont get me wroung as a daily drive it's great. It's painful to tow with.

Dazz

MolongMick

Oct 6, 2011
NSW
I took one for a drive today. I must say that I was very impressed with the drivability of the Triton, but, yes there always seems to be a but, the rear seats are crap.
The middle seat is as hard as rock and not very comfortable, not sure how anyone could sit in that seat for too long.
So that is the end of that. With three kids and that silly seat setup, it wont happen.
But it is very nice to drive.